Suicide bomber attacks Istanbul, kills four
Monday, March 21, 2016
At least four people were killed by a suicide bomb in thecity of on Saturday morning. The suicide bomber was a fifth death.
At least 36 people were injured, according to Turkish health minister Mehmet Müezzinoğlu. Reports varied on how may injured were foreigners; Minister Müezzinoğlu identified the nationalities of twelve injured from, , , , , and . The blast occurred prematurely, according to .
The attack took place on Istiklal Street, a popular pedestrian commercial street.
Prime Ministercalled the blast "inhumane," saying Turkey would continue to fight "centres of terrorism".
This is the third attack in Turkey in just over a month, following a car bomb that killed more than 30 people in, the capital of Turkey, six days earlier, and the bombing of a military convoy in mid-February.
President Ankara attack, saying, "Terror organisations and their pawns are targeting our innocent citizens in the most immoral and heartless way as they lose the fight against our security forces[...] Terror attacks — which intend to target the integrity of Turkey, unity and solidarity of our people — do not diminish our will to fight against terror, but further boost it."of Turkey condemned the
The Ankara attack has since been claimed by a Kurdish military group, the Kurdish Freedom Falcons: "We claim the operation of March 13, 2016, at 6:45 p.m. in the heart of the Republic of Turkey".
The Kurdish Freedom Falcons are associated with the(PKK). According to , violence has escalated in southeast of Turkey since the July collapse of the Turkey–PKK ceasefire.
- Nick Tattersall, Ayla Jean Yackley. "Suicide bomber kills four, wounds 36 in Istanbul shopping district" — , March 20, 2016
- "Istanbul shopping area hit by suicide bomber" — , March 19, 2016
- Constanze Letsch, James Tapper. "Istanbul hit by suicide attack" — , March 20, 2016
- Dominique Soguel (Kurdish Group Claims Ankara Car Bomb Attack That Killed 37" — , March 17, 2016 ). "
- Gul Tuysuz and Euan McKirdy. "Woman suicide bomber took part in Ankara attack, official says" — , March 15, 2016
- "Ankara bombing: Turkey strikes against Kurdish rebel PKK" — , March 14, 2016
- "Access to social media cut in Turkey after Ankara terror attack" — , March 13, 2016
- "World reacts to Ankara terror bombing, expresses solidarity with Turkey" — , February 17, 2016