Talk:The INADI and Wikimedia Argentina sign an agreement of cooperation
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- As far as I know (which isn't much), Instituto Nacional contra la Discriminación, la Xenofobia y el Racismo (INADI) (aka National Institute Against Discrimination, Xenophobia, and Racism), was created in 1995 by federal law number 24515. This pretty much makes it a political organization. To sign such an agreement seems to be on par with signing an agreement to cooperate with the US Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor. It just seems wrong. --SVTCobra 01:01, 26 March 2008 (UTC)
- I can't get your point, SVTCobra. The INADI is a goverment institution. It is supposed that our main goal is to "create a free encyclopedia for every person on the planet in their own language", and one of the INADI main goals is to guarantee access to knowledge and culture to everyone with no discrimination. Seems to be compatible, doesn't it? Please explain wich one of WMF principles are against this agreement. --Patricio.lorente - (talk) 14:49, 27 March 2008 (UTC)
- OK, I have two issues:
- This seems to violate the core value of independence, which is key to maintaining NPOV and avoiding COI.
- Does Argentinian Wikimedia have the authority to enter into agreements with governments or other organizations?
- --SVTCobra 15:16, 27 March 2008 (UTC)
- I think you are really wrong. Independence does not mean isolation. Wikimedia community should work with individuals, organizations and institutions when they share our goals (that is: free knowledge for everyone) or even when they help us to reach our goals. In fact, we do this all the time. This has nothing to do with NPOV, in fact, could never affect it because the local chapters do not interfere in the community dynamics of content creation. And yes, Wikimedia Argentina has the authority to enter into this kind of agreements, any time they are compatible with our purposes (wich you can find here). I'm not sure you know what a local chapter is, you can find a nice FAQ here. --Patricio.lorente - (talk) 19:12, 27 March 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks, the link to the bylaws was really helpful in explaining that it is all fine. (Although, I was surprised that article 4.1 allows Wikimedia Argentina to tax all kind of goods, properties, real state, livestock, stock titles and valuables.) I am sorry if I occupied an inordinate amount of your time with this discussion. --SVTCobra 23:54, 27 March 2008 (UTC)