US director James Gunn fired from Marvel Studios for decade-old offensive tweets
Monday, July 23, 2018
In a statement, Walt Disney ' Chairman said, "The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him".
The Walt Disney Company owns Marvel Studios. James Gunn wrote the screenplay and directed Marvel movies USD 773 million and USD 864 million per 's statistics. Gunn had been writing the third movie in the franchise reportedly to be released in 2020., released in 2014, and , released in 2017. Based on the comic book characters in the , the movie franchise featured , , , as well as and as voice cast for CGI characters. The two movies earned a worldwide box office revenue of about
Responding to his firing, James Gunn said, "My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don't reflect the person I am today or have been for some time. Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then."
In one of the old tweets, Gunn wrote, "The best thing about being raped is when you're done being raped and it's like 'whew this feels great, not being raped!'"
Dave Bautista, who portrays Drax the Destroyer in Gunn's Marvel movies, tweeted about Gunn's dismissal saying, "James Gunn is one of the most loving, caring, good natured people I have ever met. He's gentle and kind and cares deeply for people and animals. He's made mistakes. We all have. I'm NOT ok with what's happening to him".
After Gunn was fired,
- "Guardians of the Galaxy" — , July 23, 2018 (date of access)
- "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" — , July 23, 2018 (date of access)
- Andrew Dalton for the AP. "'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' Director James Gunn Fired Over 10-Year-Old Tweets" — , July 21, 2018
- Benjamin Lee. "Dave Bautista defends fired Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn" — , July 21, 2018
- Brent Lang. "James Gunn Fired From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3'" — , July 21, 2018
- David Dastmalchian. "David Dastmalchian on Instagram" — , July 21, 2018
- Elahe Izadi and Abby Ohlheiser. "'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' director James Gunn fired by Disney over old, offensive tweets" — , July 20, 2018
- "James Gunn Fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" — , July 20, 2018