Wikinews:Tsunami Help/Fundraising Events
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Friday, December 31, 2004
|Please note that this page is no longer being updated. For updates visit http://www.tsunamihelp.info.|
|Pages related to the tsunami relief effort|
Tsunami Help Project
Support & Relief:
Apart from donating directly through Aid Agencies, you could also attend various Fundraising Events, to help raise resources.
- Saturday, January 15, 2005. 8:00 p.m. NBC network, USA. will air a one-hour fundraiser on Bravo, CNBC, MSNBC, NBC, Sci Fi Channel, Telemundo, Trio, and USA broadcast and cable channels.
- Saturday, January 22, 2005. Memphis, Tennessee, USA. Dance Relief Memphis is hosting DANCE RELIEF, a benefit party for tsunami disaster aid. When: Saturday, Jan. 22, 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Where: India Palace, 1720 Poplar Ave. Fresh beats, cold beer. DJ Faisal spins hot world beats and hip hop. Cash donations at the door, US$5 minimum suggested donation. 1 free beer + limited edition t-shirt with a $10 donation. Info: call 917.723.1599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Give generously: all donations raised will go to progressive grass-roots organizations engaged in relief and long-term rehabilitation efforts in India, Sri Lanka, and Indonesia. RELIEF + REHABILITATION = HOPE.
- Sunday, January 23, 2005. Houston, Texas, USA. Houston Tsunami Relief, a coalition of Houston area artists, professionals, and businesses working together to bring swift aid to tsunami victims through a series of community events will host a concert fundraiser at Numbers Nightclub on Westheimer featuring popular Houston area bands and DJs including Levon Louis, The New Jack Hippies, Wes Wallace, Dubtex, and others TBA. The show begins in the afternoon with a suggested minimum donation of US$5.00. For more info visit www.houstontsunamirelief.org or call 713 528 2566.
- Saturday January 1, 2005. St. Louis, Missouri, USA. The Islamic Foundation of Greater St. Louis will hold an interfaith prayer service at the Daarul-Islam Mosque in Manchester Saturday at 3:30 p.m., recognizing the victims are of many religions. They are also collecting money for those devastated by the tsunamis. In the wake of the devastation, agencies like the Red Cross are facing an huge relief effort. Money raised at the fundraiser following Saturday's prayer service will be sent to the Red Cross/Red Crescent organization for relief efforts.
- Sunday, January 2, 2005. Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. The East-West Center in Honolulu, Hawaii, is holding a fundraiser to support the relief efforts. The event will be held Sunday, Jan. 2, from 2-5 p.m. at the Imin Center on the East-West Center campus. Michael Schuster, curator of the East-West Center Gallery, said dances and music will be performed by East-West Center international students and other members of the community. Featured guest artists so far include Ben Saparman and Mohammad Halim from Sumatra and the University of Hawaii Theatre Department, Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble, Turkish singer Latif Bolat, and Balinese dancer Chandra Susilo. More guest artists are expected to join the fund-raiser. The audience will be asked for monetary contributions to help the tsunami victims. Checks or money orders can also be made out to East-West Center Tsunami Relief Fund and dropped off at the East-West Center information desk or mailed to 1601 East-West Road, Honolulu HI 96848-1601. Monetary donations can also be dropped off at all First Hawaiian Bank branches. The donations will be distributed in areas hit by the tsunami. For more information, call the East-West Center at 944-7111, or visit their website.
- Monday, January 3, 2005. The Avenue Theater in Denver, CO, USA is doing a benefit performance of their hit show "Metamorphoses" with all proceeds going to tsunami relief. Show time is 7:30 p.m. with a suggested donation of $50.00. Please call 303-321-5925 for reservations. We are proud to announce we raised over $5,000 to go to tsunami relief.
- Wednesday, January 5,2005 Chicago, Illinois USA media outlets host fundraiser for Tsunami victims. Turn on your TV or radio.
- Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 03:45 GMT -
early Wednesday, Greece Channel 2 of the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (NET) is conducting a 24-hour(extended) Support The Victims of the Deadly Tsunami Humanitarian Telethon, that will also be covered by the NET 105.8, Second Programme 103.7, ERA SPORT, ERA’s regional stations and ERA 5 (broadcasting on shortwave) radio stations. The entire personnel of the public television and radio is contributing to this effort through news bulletins and all of NET’s programmes, which will be readjusted. Donations are made by SMS messages, deposits in dedicated bank accounts and at special kiosks around Athens. The money raised will be delivered to the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then to the UN, via bilateral and multilateral agreements, in order to be delivered to the governments of the afflicted areas. Over 8,000,000 euros had been raised until 23:30 GMT. For more information, visit the NET website or call +30210-9556400.
- Wednesday, January 5, 2005. Noon - 11:30 p.m. The Northeast Pennsylvania News Alliance will host an eleven and a half hour telethon in The Scranton Times auditorium and WBRE studios in Wilkes-Barre. Proceeds via American Red Cross.
- Wednesday, January 5, 2005. 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA. A one hour broadcast for Tsunami Relief through UNICEF, 1-800-4-UNICEF. Announcement.
- Saturday, January 8, 2005. 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Australia. Australia Unites - The Tsunami Relief Event, hosted by World Vision, is broadcasting on major television networks from the Sydney Opera House Forecourt. Tickets.
- Saturday, January 8, 2005. Villa Park, Illinois, USA. The Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago and Islamic Relief will hold an emergency fundraising dinner at 300 W. Highridge road in Villa Park, Illinois at 6:30 p.m. You can help by publicizing the dinner at local youth centers, masjids and cultural centers. Encourage family members and friends to attend the Dinner and finally generously donate from your wealth. Registration is at 6:30 p.m. Dinner is at 7:15 p.m. Tickets for adults are $15. Tickets for students are $10. Question? Concerns? Contact: CIOGC email@example.com, (630) 629-7490.