Calgary Stampeders win 2008 Grey Cup in Montreal
Monday, November 24, 2008
The Calgary Stampeders have won the 96th Grey Cup in Montreal, Canada on Sunday after defeating the Montreal Alouettes by a 22-14 score. Five field goals from placekicker Sandro DeAngelis were instrumental in Calgary's victory as was the game's Most Valuable Player, Henry Burris who scored a second-quarter touchdown. The Stampeders last won the Cup in 2001 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Montreal, the last time Calgary appeared in a Grey Cup championship.
The Canadian Football League (CFL) championship game was held at Montreal's Olympic Stadium before a crowd of 66,308. Only the 1977 Grey Cup, also at Montreal Olympic Stadium, had a higher attendance of 68,318.
On Thursday, Montreal quarterback Anthony Calvillo was declared this year's CFL Outstanding Player at a player awards ceremony in Montreal.
The Cup is named after Earl Grey, who donated the trophy to honour Canada's most successful amateur rugby team. By the time the Canadian Football League was formed in 1958, the Cup became the top prize for professional football in Canada.
CBC Television did not broadcast the Grey Cup for the first time since the 40th Grey Cup in 1952, when the championship was first televised. Specialty cable network TSN won the rights to this year's match.
Next year's CFL championship game is scheduled at Calgary's McMahon Stadium.
|CFL Grey Cup scoring|
|1st||field goal||Damon Duval||4:34||0||3|
|2nd||field goal||Sandro DeAngelis||1:12||3||3|
|field goal||Damon Duval||12:08||3||13|
|3rd||field goal||Sandro DeAngelis||9:22||13||13|
|field goal||Sandro DeAngelis||15:00||16||14|
|4th||field goal||Sandro DeAngelis||02:46||19||14|
|field goal||Sandro DeAngelis||10:48||22||14|
- Bill Beacon/The Canadian Press. "Stampeders defeat Alouettes to win Grey Cup" — , November 23, 2008
- Staff. "DeAngelis Leads Stampeders to Victory at 96th Grey Cup" — , November 23, 2008
- "CFL Live Play-by-Play (Grey Cup 2008)" — , November 23, 2008
- "Burris, DeAngelis lead Stampeders to Grey Cup win" — , November 23, 2008
- Chris Jaster. "TSN shows its first Cup" — , November 22, 2008
- "Calvillo wins CFL's outstanding player award" — , November 20, 2008