Atlantic storm Danielle strengthens to hurricane force
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
North America is simultaneously threatened by Tropical Storm Frank. The 80 km/h (50 mph) storm in the Pacific Ocean is about 210 km (130 miles) south-south west of Acapulco, Mexico. Mexico has issued a tropical storm watch in the area.
Hurricane Danielle formed near the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of West Africa, being classified as Tropical Depression Six. It then developed into a more organized cyclone.
Meteorologists predict that Danielle will be the first of several storms to form within the next two weeks, as the Atlantic hurricane season is currently at its peak. "There are signs that theis acting like it should in August and September. We're seeing more activity than we did earlier in the season," said Rick Knabb of the .
Even though the 2010 season seems to be one with low activity, emergency officials are still stressing safety and awareness to residents in hurricane-prone areas. "It only takes one storm to cause a loss of lives and devastating property damage," Lauren McKeague, Florida Division of Emergency Management, says.was a catastrophic Category 5 storm that came during a year when it was a lower-than-average season.
- NWS TPC/National Hurricane Center. "HURRICANE DANIELLE ADVISORY NUMBER 12, 1100 AM AST" — , Aug 24, 2010
- Associated Press. "Hurricane Danielle becomes Category 2 storm" — , August 23, 2010
- Doyle Rice. "Danielle forecast to be hurricane mid-week" — , August 22, 2010
- Suzette Porter. "Danielle forms in eastern Atlantic" — , August 22, 2010
- Frank Roylance. "Tropical depression could be hurricane by Monday" — , August 22, 2010