Comments:Cyclone Sidr kills hundreds in Bangladesh
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
Bangladesh is one of the poorest countries in the world, isn't it? Talk about a horrible double whammy. Fephisto 16:55, 16 November 2007 (UTC)
- Surprisingly enough, we have a number of contributors from Bangladesh. The Bengali Wikisource, for instance, just opened and already it's almost got 1,000 pages. My thoughts are going out to those contributors doing this time. Cary Bass 22:33, 16 November 2007 (UTC)
- Already more people have been killed by this Cyclone than by Hurricane Katrina. However the media does not reflect this. If only Bangladeshi lives were deemed as worth as much as American ones.
I was about three years old when the 1991 Bangladesh Cyclone occured, so I can't recall those memories. But now, I'm horrified to see the effect of Sidr. I live in Dhaka, which is obviously very far from coastal areas and the center of the cyclone didn't even come closer to Dhaka. Yet, many trees are uprooted in Dhaka University, Shangsad Bhaban and in other areas. More than 2000 people are dead and we're still very lucky because the cyclone entered from a place which is protected by Sunderbans and it absorbed most of it's strength. Had the cyclone been came through from places like Chittagong which does not have any protections, it would have been deadlier. We just had to overcome from one of the worst flooding this year and now the cyclone. Please pray for us to overcome this great loss. Regards to all. --Tarif Ezaz 04:03, 18 November 2007 (UTC)