Comments:Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax dies
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
Requiescat in pace.
Rest in peace, O great King of Geeks.
I think the most appropriate way to say farewell to a man who's given the world so much is with his own initials: GG, Gary. - Kasreyn
Rolling in his grave...
Absolutely isn't funny.....
putting as picture a d20 rolling a 20 ? absolutely isn't funny, because for a RPGer the result of 20 on throwing a d20 is an automatic failure.... A bit of respect, please..... Dott.Piergiorgio - (talk) 12:40, 5 March 2008 (UTC) (Actually, that depends on the roleplaying system in use - even in recent Dungeons and Dragons, rolling a 20 means a formidable success, not a failure.)
- It's fairly easy to understand why images of a d20 typically show the polyhedron with the 20 uppermost: it makes it more immediately and visually apparent how many sides the dice has. (Not everyone is experienced enough to easily distinguish between a d12 and a d20 at a glance, you know.) -Kasreyn
If you are playing 2nd edition a 20 is an automatic fail, however in the past I don't know how many years...people have played 3rd and 3.5 editions, which a 20 is an automatic win... maybe it is time you upgrade your roleplaying systems...
Don't read too much into it. If you look at pictures of d20's online or stylized symbols for t-shirts, they typically put the 20 face-first. I think it's important not to perceive insults in an already emotional event. Chances are that the person who posted this isn't familiar with the specifics of rules. Oscaron - (talk) 14:06, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
A 20 isn't meaningful in any way as a failure unless you're making a joke about saving throws in 1st/2nd Edition, and then you're already in poor taste and have no right to complain. 188.8.131.52 21:12, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
- thinking with more coolness (Being an Italian I'm rather emotional) I admit that, as Oscaron has sayed, that I have overreacted; I apologize. Best regards from Italy, Dott.Piergiorgio - (talk) 09:09, 6 March 2008 (UTC)
OMG! Dungeons & Dragons is my favorite game, i miss Gary Gygax so much. When i saw that he died at the age of 69 of heart problems, because he received incorrect medical care, i was feeling so sad about his death.
-OH NO! THE CREATOR OF DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, GARY GYGAX DIES AGED 69 OF HEART PROBLEMS, BECAUSE HE RECEIVED INCORRECT MEDICAL CARE- —Preceding unsigned comment added by Gabriel1997 (talk • contribs) 16:32, 1 June 2008 (UTC)