Football: Barça centre-back Piqué extends contract until 2022
Tuesday, January 30, 2018
Yesterday, Catalan football club FC Barcelona officially announced the Spanish centre-back signed a contract extension which runs through June 2022. "If I complete this contract I will be 14 years as a professional at Barcelona" ((es))Spanish language: Si cumplo este contrato, serán 14 años de carrera profesional en el Barça, the Spanish international said after the contract extension.
Making his international debut in 2009, a year after he returned to Spain after spending four years at Manchester United, Piqué has 94 international , and has won the 2010 in South Africa, as well as the trophy with La Roja. He won the UEFA Champions League with Manchester United as well.
Piqué has played 425 games in the Catalan jersey and has won 25 trophies with the Barcelona club, five less than Lionel Messi, who have won the largest number of trophies in the Catalan colours.and
After signing the contract extension, Piqué said, "I am really happy to be celebrating my extension because this is my home and since my return, my desire has been to end my career here" ((es))Spanish language: Estoy muy feliz de celebrar mi renovación porque aquí es mi casa y mi deseo ha sido retirarme aquí desde que he vuelto. He added, "I can only see myself in a Barça shirt. If I had not extended my contract then I would have stopped playing because I only play football because I play for Barça" ((es))Spanish language: Sólo me veo vistiendo la camiseta del Barça. Si no hubiera renovado dejaría de jugar al fútbol porque sólo me veo jugando con esta camiseta.
- "Football: Messi signs contract extension with FC Barcelona" — Wikinews, November 28, 2017
- "Spain defeat the Netherlands 1-0 in extra time to win 2010 FIFA World Cup" — Wikinews, July 12, 2010
- "Gerard Piqué - FC Barcelona" — , January 29, 2018 (date of access)
- "Gerard Piqué: 'I can only see myself in a Barça shirt'" — , January 29, 2018
- "Gerard Piqué: "Sólo me veo vistiendo la camiseta del Barça"" — , January 29, 2018 ()
- Ramiro Aldonute. "Pique: If I did not play for Barcelona then I would give up football" — , January 29, 2018
- Ramiro Aldonute. "Piqué: "Si no jugara en el Barça, dejaría el fútbol"" — , January 29, 2018 ()
- "Gerard Pique signs new Barcelona contract - including £441m buyout clause - to tie him to club until 2022" — , January 18, 2018