Former Libyan leader Gaddafi killed
Thursday, October 20, 2011
Libyan television today announced that former Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi was killed by revolutionary forces in Sirte following weeks of brutal fighting.
The Libyan Prime minister said Gaddafi was captured unharmed byforces but was shot in the head during crossfire with Gaddafi loyalists, and died soon after. There are various other, conflicting reports on Gaddafi's cause of death.
|Colonel Gaddafi is history|
The National Transitional Council Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam has said that the death of Gaddafi was "a great victory for the Libyan people" and that "Colonel Gaddafi is history".
A picture of a wounded man taken from awas released shortly after the news of his capture broke, although it could not be independently verified whether the man was indeed Gaddafi.
- "Gadhafi killed in crossfire after capture, Libyan PM says" — , October 21 2011
- "Reports indicate Gaddafi is dead" — , October 20, 2011
- Ben Farmer. "Gaddafi's final stronghold falls: Libyan forces conquer Sirte" — , October 20,2011
- "Libyan forces 'capture Gaddafi'" — , October 20, 2011
- "Rebels claim they have finally got Gaddafi after taking last stronghold - but was he killed or captured alive?" — , October 20, 2011