Suicide bombing in Afghanistan kills six US NATO members
Wednesday, December 23, 2015
According to NATO and Afghan officials, the bombing occurred at 1:30pmin a village near . Bagram Airfield is located about 40 km (25 mi) north of , the Afghan capital.
The bombing killed six US NATO soldiers. Thedelayed officially releasing their names, following policy, but all the victims have been identified.
One of them is Joseph Lemm, aged 45. Lemm served fifteen years as an officer of theand has a wife and two children.
Another is Adrianna Vorderbruggen, an openly lesbian major. Vorderbruggen advocated repealing and is now married to her same-sex partner. The couple has a son.
The others are Peter Taub from, ; Michael Anthony Cinco from , , age 28; Chester McBride Jr., , ; and Louis Bonacasa, , .
The bombing also injured others, including two US military personnel and, according to an Afghan official, three local police officers.
Via email and Taliban, whose regime the US overthrew after invading the country in 2001, claimed responsibility to the bombing., the
Currently, about 10,000 US, and less than half as many NATO, military personnel remain in Afghanistan.
- Barbara Goldberg. "Identities revealed for all six U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan attack" — , December 23, 2015
- Tim Nudd. "NYPD Detective Is Among 6 Americans Killed in Afghanistan Suicide Bombing: 'We Will Miss Him Very Much'" — , December 22, 2015
- Sunnivie Brydum. "BREAKING: Lesbian Air Force Major, DADT Repeal Advocate Killed in Action" — , December 22, 2015
- "Rio Grande Valley Service Member Killed in Afghanistan" — , December 22, 2015
- Andrea Cavallier. "Second airman among 6 killed in Afghanistan bombing identified as Long Island man" — , December 22, 2015
- Masoud Popalzai and Barbara Starr. "6 U.S. troops killed in motorcycle bomb attack in Afghanistan, officials say" — , December 21, 2015
- Dan Lamothe and Pamela Constable. "Six U.S. troops dead, others wounded in apparent suicide attack in Afghanistan" — , December 21, 2015
- Lynne O'Donnell. "US troops killed near Bagram, Taliban insurgency intensifies" — , December 21, 2015