Conman33, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! Jacques Divol 16:59, 23 August 2007 (UTC)
- You cannot copy even a single sentence (unless it is a direct quote). The writing is protected by copyright. What cannot not be copyright-protected are the facts. Therefore, you are allowed to glean the facts (what, where, when, who, why and how) and write it in your own words. The reason that we list sources is to attribute our claims as well as provide transparency for our readers. --SVTCobra 20:35, 2 September 2008 (UTC)
Couple of quick notes.
- The dates on sources should be formatted as MMMM DD, YYYY. For instance June 10, 2009 rather than 10 June 2009. This keeps the date format consistent through the site.
- Sources should be be reverse chronological order.
- See this diff for an example of these changes.