Wikinews:How to edit a page
Wikinews is a wiki, which means that anyone can easily edit any article — and those changes are posted immediately to that article! No approval is required, and no special login is needed.
This page tells only how to use the wiki interface to edit. To find out more about writing for Wikinews, such as policy, style, legal issues, and communicating with other users, please see the Wikinews:Introduction.
Editing existing articles
Simply click on the edit this page tab at the top of a Wiki page. This will bring you to a page with a text box containing the editable text of that page. Put some text you want in the box, and click Save page — hey presto! Your content will appear!
You can experiment in the sandbox.
You can also write a short edit summary in the small field below the edit box. This helps other users to understand the intent behind your changes.
Instead of Save page, you can click Preview to see how your changes will look. If you're happy with what you see, remember to click Save page afterwards.
You can also click on the Collaboration tab to see a 'Talk' page corresponding to the article, where Wikinews users make more detailed comments about the article.
To edit this page, you can click on the add comment tab to add a new section, or you can edit the page in the same way as a normal article page, as described above.
Everything is tracked on the wiki, you can see older versions using the history tab.
Wiki formatting markup syntax
Wikis support quite advanced formatting, but it's not too hard to learn. You may pick a lot up just by examining and experimenting with existing page content. Remember that your changes are easily reverted, so don't be afraid to try to learn.
- See the Wiki markup page to see how you can format pages.
- Or just click the Help link in the navigation bar at the left of any page.
Creating new articles
To create a new article, see the Writing an article page.
- Wikinews:Introduction to Wikinews
- Wikinews introduction to Writing an article
- Wikinews Journalists' Code of Ethics
- Wikinews newswriting Style guide
- Wikinews newswriting Content guide
- Wikinews Reference desk, providing links to many reputable news sources
- News sources on Wikipedia -Hierarchically structured to encourage NPOV
- Wikinews guide to Original reporting
- Wikinews Article flags for use when an article needs editorial attention