Wikinews:Original reporting contest May 2005
| This page is no longer current and/or valid. It is kept for historical record or interest. Do not assume content on this page is still technically correct.
If the information contained on this page becomes timely again, please remove this tag.
The Wikinews Original Reporting contest of May 2005 is a competition among Wikinews authors which aims to increase the incidence of Original reporting articles on the site, and to allow contributors to learn how to solicit quotes from people connected to the news.
The contest opens on Sunday, May 1, 2005 at 00:00 UTC. The rules are simple:
- A contestant may enter at any time before the contest is over.
- A contest entry is an article started by the participant, containing one or more quotes from at least one person.
- The person whose quote is used may be part of the story, or a specialist commenting on the story.
- The quote must be obtained by the participant, and may be obtained in person, by telephone, by email, or some other method of person-to-person communication
- All quotes must have proper documentation on the Notes page for the article. If obtained via email then the notes page must contain a transcript of the email. If taken in person or via telephone, the notes page must contain the reporter's notes with shorthand, longhand or a close paraphrase of the original quote. Alternately, recordings of the conversations may be uploaded to the Commons in .ogg format. Inability to properly encode and upload audio files will not disqualify a participant if corrected within 2 days of the article's creation.
- The articles should strive to follow conventions. Articles which the community decides to delete cannot be counted.
- The contest ends after 1 month. The winner is the participant who submitted the most stories meeting the above criteria. If no participant has submitted at least 5 such stories, the contest automatically gets extended for 1 more month.
- There is an ever-growing pool of prizes and money contributed. The winner takes all the prizes.
Pre-registration (i.e. intent to compete)
Anyone can enter at any time, so this list is just advisory.
- I'm in. — DV 06:37, 27 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Area man enters writing contest. I am so fully in it is not even funny. Pingswept 21:13, 30 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Judges may not formally compete. I'd appreciate at least two more judges.
- IlyaHaykinson 09:22, 18 Apr 2005 (UTC)
I would be honored to help judge --HiFlyer 05:33, 24 Apr 2005 (UTC)--Update...I will be unable to commit the time necessary to participate. --HiFlyer 20:31, 30 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- I will send US$25 via check, money order or paypal to the winner. IlyaHaykinson 09:22, 18 Apr 2005 (UTC)