Wikinews:Sochi Paralympic Games
Why the success of this matters
This can assist Wikinews with demonstrating success in funded projects to make it easier for other reporters to get funding to do Wikinews reporting.
The Ukrainians have funding to attend the Sochi Games. Their successful grant proposal can be found at Wikimedia Ukraine - Wikimedians to the Games which includes their specific goals.
Laura Hale's covering of the Games is completely self funded. There was no outside funding acquired from anyone else, and outside media accreditation, she currently has no ongoing formal relationship with any Paralympic committee.
- Submit and get published 5 or more total articles between March 6 and March 11 on English Wikinews.
See main: Category:Disability sport.
- "US Congresswoman Jackie Speier comments about Obamacare, Paralympics" — Wikinews, November 9, 2013
- "Wikinews interviews academic Simon Ličen about attitudes towards US Paralympics" — Wikinews, November 16, 2013
- "Canada has no plans to boycott Winter Paralympics" — Wikinews, March 3, 2014
- "International Paralympic Committee comments on Russian adherance to Olympic Truce" — Wikinews, March 3, 2014
See main: Категорія:Паралімпіада.
- Саймон Лічен поділився з Вікіновинами своїми міркуваннями щодо Паралімпіади
- Українська паралімпійська збірна, за крок до Сочі-2014
- Laura discussed/presented at the Paralympic efforts at the 2013 Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe conference in Slovakia in November.
- Laura discussed the Paralympic efforts at the EduWiki 2013 conference in Cardiff, Wales.
- Laura discussed some of the Paralympic efforts at the Scholar and Feminist Conference at Barnard College in New York in February 2014.
- Creating articles about Paralympians on several language Wikipedias
- Media coverage of a US Congresspress
- Planning for Sochi
- Ukrainian civil unrest and Sochi reporting
- Planning is annoying: More Sochi travel stuff
- Getting to Sochi: Implementing the plan to get there
- And we’re go for Sochi :D :D
- The politics of the Sochi Paralympics
LauraHale is the project coordinator.
Base is one of the Ukranian Wikinewsie contacts.
Five Wikinewsies have accreditation to attend the Sochi Paralympics. LauraHale will be attending as a reporter. Three will be reporters, two will be photographers.
- March 6: Laura arrives in Sochi.
- March 7: Ukrainians arrive in Sochi.
- March 7: Open ceremonies. Tickets should be available.
- March 7 to March 16, 2014: Games take place.
- March 8: Visa Paralympic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Sochi at 9:30am in the Paralympic Hospitality Centre.
- March 11: Laura leaves Sochi.
- Submit and review articles.
- Make sure media and images have license information.
- Find people to translate articles into other languages, or from Ukrainian to English.