2008 COMPUTEX Taipei: Three awards, One target
Monday, June 23, 2008
2008 COMPUTEX Taipei, the largest trade fair since its inception in 1982, featured several seminars and forums, expansions on show spaces to TWTC Nangang, great transformations for theme pavilions, and WiMAX Taipei Expo, mainly promoted by Taipei Computer Association (TCA). Besides of ICT industry, "design" progressively became the critical factor for the future of the other industries. To promote innovative "Made In Taiwan" products, pavilions from "Best Choice of COMPUTEX", "Taiwan Excellence Awards", and newly-set "Design and Innovation (d & i) Award of COMPUTEX", demonstrated the power of Taiwan's designs in 2008 COMPUTEX Taipei.
Best Choice of COMPUTEX: Arrangements without fair judgments?
"Best Choice of COMPUTEX", designed to encourage technological innovation in the ICT industry and help companies expand their export markets, is the 7th-annual holding by TCA since 2002. Different than past years, not only the professional juries will decide the best thirty-nines (including Special Award from Juries, Best Choices of the Year from Overseas and Domestic Enterprises) from nominated 125 products in the second runoffs.
Finally, thirty-eight winning products including three products from Jury's Special Award and one from Best Choice of the Year from Domestic Enterprise, but winner from Best Choice of the Year from Overseas Enterprise wasn't awarded. With this incident, some overseas exhibitors disputed the profession of this class and appealed the organizer to do necessary modifications for different classes next year.
d & i Award, first-ever award to promote "Design"
"d & i Award of COMPUTEX", a newly-created award by Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) and International Forum Design (iF) to discover innovative, applicative, and creative products, showcased a significant differences than the "Best Choice of COMPUTEX".
According to TAITRA, professional juries including Christoph Böninger (brains4design GmbH), Duck Hsieh (Duck Image Corporation), James Irvine (James Irvine S.r.l.), Kris Verstockt (Cre8 design studio), and Roger Pin-Si Lin (Nova Design Co., Ltd.), adjudicated the final seventeens (including the final four gold awards) from 139 entries submitted by 67 contestants from 5 countries based on the criteria of "Degree of innovation", "Design quality", "Workmanship", "Choice of materials", "Environmental friendliness", "Functionality", "Ergonomics", "Utility value", "Safety", "Universal design", and "Brand value/Branding".
Besides the Design and Innovation Award, whose rich achievements were established from several international design awards by companies in Taiwan, the Taiwan Design Center, set to promote the design and cultural industries in Taiwan, held the "2008 Design Think Forum" entitled "Design for next Billion Customers" to prospect the future of the design industry worldwide.
"Taiwan Excellence Awards": MIT products shining in the world.
"Taiwan Excellence Awards", created to promote products made in Taiwan, announced its winners from Gold and Silver Award classes prior to the show on May 22. This year, 388 ICT products participated in this competition and the ICT industry scored a better performance with 6 Golds and 14 Silvers in the final jury. It not only showcased a significant improvement but also symbolized the ICT industry in Taiwan as a stable industrial position in the presence.
Final Results from COMPUTEX awards
Best Chioce of COMPUTEX
- Based on the official website.
- Best Choice of the Year - Domestic Enterprise: MSI GX620 Notebook Computer.
- Car Electronics: Globalsat GTV-580
- Communication & VoIP: ASUS Lamborghini ZX1, E-TEN Glofiish DX900.
- Data Storage: iStarUSA and Netstor PCI-e Raid, Maxtronic SS-8811R, Infortrend EonStor B12F-R1430.
- Digital Home: HoneyWLD HD-301, ASUS 42RW1 LCD TV, Gigabyte Glee Cube IP-TV Box.
- Embedded System: Korenix JetBox, Collevo GoFinger.
- Green IT: ASUS RS160-E5 Server, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5.
- Industrial PC: DT Research WebDT 310
- LSI / VLSI: VIA Media System Processor II
- Motherboards: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6, MSI P45 Diamond
- PC / Server systems / Notebook / Tablet PC: Gigabyte M700, MSI GX620
- Peripherals / Accessories: ASUS MK241H, AverMedia AVerTV Volar GPS 805, Realtek RTD-2485D Advanced LCD Monitor Controller
- Personal Entertainment: Gigabyte MID M528, Aiptek PocketDV AHD Z600 PRO
- Product Design Awards
- Industrial Design: ASUS Ares CG6155, Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue Series
- Innovation Idea Design: Beauty Up 75" IT-Board, Penpower WorldCard Ultra, dmedia WiMAX Car-Navi G5W.
- Security: Fineart Total Security Fort (X-FORT), Softwell Wit-Eye Linux-based DVR, Face-Tek Reader
- Software: Inventec Portable Dr.eye on USB Drives
- WLAN Communication: ASUS WUSB25E2V2 USB Doggle, AXIMCom P2P Gear PG-116N
- Jury's Special Award: Four Channel USB Amplifier, AiData LAPstation, Iinjoy DMC Series - Bouree (Solar Mobile Power Pack for NB)
Design & Innovation Awards
- Based on the official guide by TAITRA (Gold Award Products in Bold text).
- VIA OpenBook
- AnMo Dino-Lite Digital Microscope
- ASUS UF735 Digital Photo Frame
- Starline International Swing Duo USB Flash Drive
- Mio Leap G50
- Mio Moov 380
- Mio Leap K1
- Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
- Patriot PC DDR3 Memory Modules PVS32G1866LLK
- Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue
- ASUS Ares CG6155
- ASUS U2E Notebook
- VIA CloudBook Max
- Sonnenschein Twist-a-cable
- Thermaltake iXoft Notebook Cooling Pad
- A-DATA Nobility Series N702
- iStarUSA - SSI SI-7908 / 7928 SATA HDD docking station
- "2008 Taiwan Excellence Gold and Silver Awards announced" — Wikinews, May 23, 2008
- "2008 Computex Preview: A decisive battle for IT industry and trade show quality" — Wikinews, May 11, 2008
- "2008 COMPUTEX Taipei: Another insight of "Design"" — Wikinews, June 9, 2008
|This is a complete or partial translation of the article "2008台北國際電腦展 三大獎項 目標一致 專區一次看足", from the Chinese language Wikinews, published under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.|
|This is a complete or partial translation of the article "2008台北國際電腦展 創新設計獎17強出列", from the Chinese language Wikinews, published under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.|
|This is a complete or partial translation of the article "2008台北國際電腦展最佳外銷產品獎 規格翻新 制度遭外商質疑", from the Chinese language Wikinews, published under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.|
- Press Release: "The Second Review Result of Best Choice Award reveals. Buyers On-line Voting Starts" — Taipei Computer Association, May 9, 2008
- Press Release: "See the best IT mapping the future! The COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2008 design & innovation awards" — Taiwan External Trade Development Council, May 22, 2008
- Press Release: "Winners of COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2008 Best Choice Award" — Taipei Computer Association, June 3, 2008