UK family wins asbestos payout in death of railway worker
Friday, November 20, 2009
In 2005, Dudley Maasz was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a disease resulting from exposure to asbestos. He had been exposed to the substance during his time in the 1940s as a railway worker for Great Western Railway, where he took part in cleaning engines and serving as a fireman. Maasz died in July 2006.
|We were able to establish that Mr Maasz death was caused by asbestos...|
Brigitte Chandler, the Maasz family's solicitor, told BBC News, "We were able to establish that Mr Maasz death was caused by asbestos during his employment at the Oxford works."
|...he'd been eaten away, I felt so sorry for him.|
Dudley Maasz's brother Norman described him to BBC News as outgoing, and a "friendly chap". He said that he had noticed his brother begin to complain of shoulder pain approximately four years ago, and subsequently began to sleep more and later was bedridden a majority of the time.
"One day I looked at him and thought — my goodness — he was half the size, he'd been eaten away, I felt so sorry for him," said Norman Maasz.
BBC News reported that no individual from BRB (Residuary) Ltd. was available to provide a comment about the payout to the Maasz family.
Related news 
- "EPA declares 'emergency' asbestos cleanup in Montana town" — Wikinews, June 20, 2009
- "Asbestos scare shuts down mail delivery in Christchurch, New Zealand" — Wikinews, December 13, 2008
- "New Jersey court rules Spanish citizens can sue over ship asbestos" — Wikinews, May 28, 2008
- "Pay-out for asbestos death family" — , November 20, 2009
- "Asbestos death payout" — , November 20, 2009