2007 FIFA U20 World Cup: Austria, Czech Republic, Spain and US make it to quarters
Thursday, July 12, 2007
Austria, United States, Czech Republic and Spain all made it into the quarter-finals of the bi-annual FIFA U-20 World Cup.
Austria beat Gambia 2-1 when Austrian substitute Erwin Hoffer scored in the 81st minute. The Americans came from behind to beat Uruguay 2-1 in extra time. The Czech Republic beat Japan on penalty kicks after coming level on 2 penalty kicks in normal time and Spain knocked out Brazil 4-2 in extra time with 1 goal in each of the 2 extra periods.
The Round of 16 continues today when Chile faces Portugal in Edmonton, Zambia faces Nigeria in an all African match up in Ottawa, Argentina faces Poland in Toronto and Mexico faces Congo.
In the quarter-finals, Austria will play the United States, Czech Republic will face Spain, the winner of Chile/Portugal will face the winner of Nigeria/Zambia and the winner of Argentina/Poland will face the winner of Mexico/Congo.
Summary from the round of 16
- Austria wins 2-1 against Gambia.
- United States wins 2-1 in extra time against Uruguay.
- Spain wins 4-2 in extra time against Brazil.
- Czech Republic wins 4-3 against Japan after penalty shootout. Score was level 2-2 after extra time.
- "Match Report: Spain vs. Brazil" — FIFA, July 12, 2007
- "Match Report: Japan vs. Czech Republic" — FIFA, July 12, 2007
- "Match Report: Austria vs. Gambia" — FIFA, July 11, 2007
- "Match Report: United States vs. Uruguay" — FIFA, July 11, 2007