6-1, 6-2, 3-6 and 6-3: Djokovic beats Federer and advances to Aus Open 2016 Final
Thursday, January 28, 2016
Today, defending champion Novak Djokovic defeated Swiss professional Roger Federer 6–1, 6–2, 3–6 6–3 in the Australian Open 2016 semi-final. Djokovic has previously featured in five Australian finals, winning them all.
Serbian Djokovic won the first set 6–1 in just 22 minutes, with ten aces total through the match. It took 32 minutes to complete the second set 6–3, with Federer winning three games of the set, and serving five aces through the entire match. Djokovic had only 20 unforced errors, compared to Federer's 51. The seven-time Wimbledon winner, Federer, made a comeback in the third set, winning it 6–3. It was the longest set of the match, taking 45 minutes.
Djokovic managed to win the fourth set 6–3 in 40 minutes, thus going through to the final. With this defeat, Federer suffered a third straight defeat by Djokovic. Last year, he lost in the final of the US Open to Djokovic who won 6–4, 5–7, 6–4, 6–4. Dojkovic won three out of four Grand Slams last year, only losing to Swiss player Stan Wawarinka at Roland Garros in the French Open.
Djokovic, the number one seed, is to play in Sunday's final against the winner of Andy Murray, seeded number two, versus Milos Raonic .
- "Djokovic defeats Federer to win 2015 Wimbledon Championship men's singles" — Wikinews, July 15, 2015
- "Novak downs Roger to make final" — Aus Open, January 28, 2016
- "Australian Open 2016: Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer" — BBC Sport, January 28, 2016
- "Match Statistics" — Aus Open, January 28, 2016
- "Stan Wawarinka Profile" — Roland Garros, June 7, 2015
- Kevin Mitchell. "Novak Djokovic wins US Open 2015 final beating Roger Federer in epic battle" — The Guardian, September 14, 2015