Airplane crashes into ocean in Micronesia
Saturday, September 29, 2018
Yesterday morning near the international airport located on Federated States of Micronesia, Oceania a passenger airplane of model - flown by the carrier crashed into sea as its pilot missed the runway. All 47 people on board — by differing reports, 36 passengers and eleven crew or 35 passengers and twelve crew — survived.island of of the
The report by the international commercial aviation safety organizationindicated the crash coincided with a sudden intensification of the weather conditions. timeanddate.com-supplied data from CustomWeather reported rain showers at 9:40 a.m. local time, following cloudy conditions at 8:50 a.m.
The airplane reportedly landed around 9:30 a.m. local time, short of the runway by about 160 The Guardian.to 200 m (about 525 to 650 ), according to reports. Locals immediately began to rescue the passengers and crew on fishing boats. Officials arrived after about ten minutes, according to a witness quoted by
In an interview, a passenger alleged the crew started panicking and yelling, The Guardian reported. A first responder, Dr James Yaingeluo, also said the airplane crew were in panic. He said, "There was a little bit [of] chaos at first because everybody was really panicked and tried to get out of the plane [...] other than that we were doing as much as we can. Luckily there are no casualties."
Yaingeluo said nine people were taken to a hospital. Four people remained in hospital, one "seriously injured", according to reports recounted by ABC News on Friday evening.
Flight 73 was coming from Papua New Guinea, with a stop at the Chuuk state.in the Federated States of Micronesia. Its destination was in
- "Past Weather in Weno, Truk, Micronesia — Yesterday or Further Back" — , September 29, 2018
- "2018-09-28 Air Niugini Boeing 737-800 landed in lagoon at Chuuk" — , September 28, 2018
- "All passengers and crew survive Air Niugini Boeing 737 crash in sea off Micronesian island" — , September 28, 2018
- Helen Davidson. "Air Niugini plane overshoots runway in Micronesia and sinks in sea lagoon" — , September 28, 2018
- Sarah Swain. "Micronesia: Air Niugini plane crash" — , September 28, 2018
- Pacific Beat. "Air Niugini plane lands short in lagoon by airport in Micronesia" — , September 28, 2018
- Air Niugini. "Air Niugini - Press statement" — , September 28, 2018