Airshow collision kills one in Dittingen, Switzerland
Sunday, August 23, 2015
The crash occurred as three German Grasshopper display team flew together in formation. Two collided and crashed, with one pilot ejecting and parachuting to safety and the other remaining on board and being killed. The third plane was not directly involved and landed successfully.planes from the
The northern Swiss village is near. Basel- police spokesman Meinrad Stoecklin put the time of the accident at 11:30a.m. The airshow was first halted as rescuers arrived, then cancelled altogether. It is unclear if there are any additional injuries.
Authorities have closed down access to the scene. The killed pilot's plane struck a barn. The display team reportedly was using amateur pilots.
It is the third deadly European airshow crash in four days. On Thursday two planes carrying parachutists collided and crashed in West Slovakia. At least seven were killed. They had been practising for an airshow due to be held this weekend. Yesterday a vintage warplane crashed onto a busy road by in England. Seven are confirmed dead, with the pilot critical and police continuing to search the scene for more bodies.
- "Vintage plane crashes into road during Shoreham Airshow in England" — Wikinews, August 23, 2015
- "Planes carrying parachutists collide, crash in Slovakia" — Wikinews, August 20, 2015
- One dead as two planes collide at Swiss air show" — , August 23, 2015. "
- Doug Bolton. "Switzerland airshow crash: At least one dead after two planes collide in Dittingen" — , August 23, 2015
- Johnlee Varghese. "Switzerland: 2 Planes Collide Midair During Dittingen Airshow, Pilot Killed [Photos+Video]" — , August 23, 2015