All FLDS children returning to parents
Monday, June 2, 2008
A Texas court has announced that all children taken from the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) compound in Texas are being returned to their parents. Beginning today, parents have been allowed to collect their children, all of whom were in state custody before the announcement.
The more than 460 allegedly abused children were taken into state custody last month after officials say they received a call from a distressed 16-year old girl. The children were found in a 1700-acre compound belonging to the FLDS. It is now believed that the original phone call was actually a hoax.
Recently the CPS in Texas filed papers on this issue, saying that the families may choose to flee Texas if they are reunited per the appeals courts ruling. If the families were to do that, they would then be outside the court's jurisdiction, putting the children at risk of abuse.
The CPS in Texas released a statement regarding the court ruling: "We are disappointed, but we understand and respect the court's decision and will take immediate steps to comply. Child Protective Services has one purpose in this case - to protect the children. Our goal is to reunite families whenever we can do so and make sure the children will be safe. We will continue to prepare for the prompt and orderly reunification of these children with their families. We also will work with the district court to ensure the safety of the children and that all of our actions conform with the decision of the Texas Supreme Court."
- "Texas authorities obtain DNA from jailed FLDS leader Warren Jeffs" — Wikinews, June 1, 2008
- "Court photos show FLDS leader Warren Jeffs with child brides" — Wikinews, May 29, 2008
- "FLDS couple reunited with child, Texas fear families will flee justice" — Wikinews, May 28, 2008
- "Court rules against Texas officials in FLDS case" — Wikinews, May 24, 2008
- "401 children from Texas sect compound taken into custody" — Wikinews, April 7, 2008
- "FBI most-wanted fugitive, polygamist Warren Jeffs, arrested" — Wikinews, August 31, 2006
- "US sect children to be returned" — , June 2, 2008
- "Eldorado Information" — , Retrieved June 2, 2008
- "Texas warns families in polygamy case could flee" — , May 28, 2008
- "US court rules on polygamist case" — , May 24, 2008