Arabs react to Israeli debate on Jerusalem's Holy sites
Thursday, February 27, 2014
Last week, members of the Qatari newspaper , any Israeli action affecting Jordanian control of the Holy sites would violate the treaty and Jordan could review whether or not the treaty had been invalidated. Meanwhile, the criticized the Knesset debate as a provocation.condemned the plan for a debate in the Knesset on the issue, but yesterday after the debate in Israel almost 50 of them had petitioned the Jordanian government to stop the enforcement of the 1994 . The treaty allowed for the exchange of ambassadors and on that point, the Jordanian parliament voted on the recall of the nation's ambassador to Israel. Jordan's Prime Minister Abdullah Nsur said, in remarks to
Before the Israeli debate Tuesday, Palestinian protesters took to one of the Jews, armed with firecrackers and rocks and were met by Israeli police.in the Old City, used by
On Tuesday, members of the Israeli Knesset began a debate on an issue it had never before broached. MK Likud started the debate about one of Jerusalem's holiest sites, The . Feiglin spoke to freedom of religion and the right of Israelis to pray on the site controlled by the Arabs while opponents addressed their fears the sensitive topic could harm ongoing peace talks. He said, "Any terror organization can raise its flag there, [but] there can be no trace of the Israeli flag. Only Jews are forbidden to pray at this place."of
During the debate,MK reacted to Feiglin's motion, "Why stop at the Temple Mount? If you are the new messiah of our times, what about" — he named various specifics of the holy promise of the lands of the — "Why leave them behind?" A "Greater Israel" promised by God is generally considered off limits in civic discourse inside Israel. The Knesset did not vote on the issue.
Al-Aqsa Mosque ranks just behind Mecca and as the holiest of Islamic sites. Jews consider the Temple Mount to be their holiest site.
The outdoor Islamic Pulpit of the Cadi Borhan-ed-din Jerusalem Holy Land at the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Jerusalem.
- "Jordan PM warns peace deal with Israel may be reviewed" — , February 26, 2014
- Mohammad Tayseer, Donna Abu-Nasr. "Jordan Lawmakers Seek to Expel Israeli Ambassador Over Holy Site" — , February 26, 2014
- "Muslim body slams debate on Jewish prayer at Al-Aqsa mosque" — , February 26, 2014
- "Jordan MPs urge scrapping peace treaty with Israel" — , February 26, 2014
- Gil Ronen. "MK Cabel Asks Feiglin: Are You the Messiah?" — , February 26, 2014
- Adiv Sterman, Gavriel Fiske. "Debate on Temple Mount worship rocks Knesset" — , February 25, 2014