Assassinated lawyer accuses Guatemalan president from beyond grave
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
"If you are watching this message," Rosenberg told the camera, "it is because I was assassinated by President Álvaro Colom with help from [private secretary to the president] Gustavo Alejos."
In the video, distributed at his funeral, Rosenberg attributed the motive of the incipient murder to his representation of businessman Khalil Musa. Musa and his daughter Marjorie were murdered in April. Rosenberg alleged that Musa was killed because he was unwilling to enter into corrupt dealings at the behest of president Colom.
Presidential spokesperson Fernando Barrillas categorically rejected the accusations. "This reveals the intention of creating a political crisis around a case that should be investigated and processed by the courts," he said in a statement posted on the official web site of the Guatemalan government. Barrillas also announced the intention to seek international help in the investigation of Rosenberg's murder.
Helen Mack of the Myrna Mack Foundation, a Guatemalan Human Rights organization, called for the video to be authenticated by experts, describing the investigation of the accusations as "rather difficult at a political level." ((Translated from Spanish)) Spanish: bastante difícil a nivel político.
- Chris Boutet. "'I have been murdered': Lawyer's video accuses Guatemalan president from beyond the grave" — , May 13, 2009
- "Guatemala leader accused over death" — , May 12, 2009
- "Causa revuelo acusación dejada por abogado guatemalteco asesinado" — , May 12, 2009 ()
- Press Release: "Presidente solicita a MP y Cicig esclarecer el asesinato de Rodrigo Rosenberg" — , May 12, 2009 ()
- Rodrigo Rosenberg. "Asesinato Rodrigo Rosenberg 1 (English Subs)" — , May 11, 2009 (Video)
- "Matan a destacado abogado y empresario en la zona 14" — , May 10, 2009 ()