Australian cricketer Shane Warne dies aged 52
Monday, March 7, 2022
His passing came hours after the death of fellow Australian cricket player Twitter before dying himself., who Warne paid a tribute to on
In a statement to, Warne's management said "Shane was found unresponsive in his villa and despite the best efforts of medical staff, he could not be revived."
Warne's former fiancéepaid tribute, saying "I feel like the sun has gone behind a cloud forever. RIP my beloved lionheart".
Many people ornamented the statue of Warne outside Melbourne with items associated with Warne: flowers, beer cans and stubbies, baked beans, meat pies, and cigarettes. The MCG announced that the stadium's Great Southern Stand would be renamed the S.K. Warne Stand in honour of Warne.
Premier of Victoria Daniel Andrews offered Warne's family a state funeral for the cricketer, which the family accepted. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the federal government would support the state funeral and gave condolences to Warne's family.
Wikinews understands the date and location of the funeral has not yet been announced.
- "Australian cricket icon Shane Warne passes away at 52" — , March 5, 2022
- "Shane Warne's death leaves cricket fraternity 'shocked and gutted'" — , March 5, 2022
- Yara Murray-Atfield. "Shane Warne's family offered state funeral after shock death of cricket legend" — , March 5, 2022
- "Shane Warne: Hurley pays tribute to 'beloved lionheart'" — , March 6, 2022
- George Ramsay. "Family of Shane Warne accept state funeral offer as tributes to former cricketer continue" — , March 6, 2022