Australian rules football: Traralgon remain only undefeated team after five rounds of 2010 Gippland Football League season
Monday, May 10, 2010
Traralgon remain the only undefeated team after five rounds of the 2010 Gippsland Football League season after they defeated Warragul by seventy points and Sale defeated Maffra by one point. Warragul remain the only team without a win.
In other games, Morwell defeated Drouin and Moe defeated Wonthaggi.
After five rounds, the standings are;
- Traralgon (five wins, no losses - 166.67%)
- Maffra (four wins, one loss - 150.8%)
- Sale (three wins, one loss, one bye - 126.32%)
- Morwell (three wins, two losses - 115.62%)
- Drouin (two wins, two losses, one bye - 128.28%)
- Moe (one win, three losses, one bye - 85.58%)
- Leongatha (one win, three losses, one bye - 68.82%)
- Wonthaggi (one win, four losses - 46.68%)
- Warragul (no wins, four losses, one bye - 48.6%)
Scores are quoted as goals-behinds (total).
Warragul lead Traralgon early in the third quarter but were quickly over taken and convincingly beaten.
To that point in the game, the defence of both sides dominated not allowing many scoring opportunities. From the fifth minute of the third quarter, the game belonged to Traralgon.
Tim Aitkin kicked six of his nine goals in the last quarter to help Traralgon stamp their authority on the game.
Sale upset ladder leaders Maffra at home. One could have argued that Maffra's inaccurate kicking in the second half cost it the win.
To the end of the third, Maffra lead but could not close out the match. Sale won the match with a goal from a free kick after the full time siren.
- John Hehir. "Late surge withstood" — , May 10, 2010