Bart Simpson used to promote Scientology
Thursday, January 29, 2009
During the message, Cartwright states that "This is a special message" and announces a Scientology conference this coming weekend at the grand ballroom of the Los Angeles where she has a speaking engagement. The message ends with a toll free number to call to RSVP. Wikinews has obtained audio of the message, which is displayed near the end of this report.in
|This is not authorized by us.|
—, executive producer,
The Simpsons executives did not authorize this usage ofin this manner. Executive producer told , "This is not authorized by us. The Simpsons does not, and never has, endorsed any religion, philosophy or system of beliefs any more profound than Butterfinger bars," referencing the for the candy bar.
The Simpsons creatorhas not yet issued a statement about Cartwright's recorded message. According to , Twentieth Century Fox television would not comment on whether or not Cartwright would face disciplinary actions in response to the usage of Bart Simpson's voice in this capacity.
Cartwright begins the message with, "Hey, what's happening man, this is Bart Simpson...", and then says she is kidding and identifies herself as the voice actress. Cartwright proceeds to use her own voice and Bart's voice throughout the message.
She states, "I'm now auditing on new OT  Seven," referring to a level of spiritual state as used within Scientology. Operating Thetan level seven is one of the higher levels in Scientology. Cartwright uses Scientology while speaking in Bart's voice, saying she will share her "many wins" as an " " at the Hollywood Scientology event. She invites the listener to the Scientology organization's "Flag World Tour" event on January 31 in Hollywood, California, where she is planned to attend as a speaker.
HAVE YOUR SAY
What do you think of this usage of Bart Simpson's voice?
The message has since been removed from YouTube. Visitors of the link, which appears in several press articles, are now left with a message saying "this video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Twentieth Century Fox." Wikinews sent an e-mail to FOX regarding the incident, but as of this report, they have not replied.
has been a major theme in The Simpsons. In the episode " ", the commentators said that Movementarians were largely inspired by Scientology, the and the , the , the , the , the and .
The late Isaac Hayes left over its attitudes towards Scientology depicted in the episode: " ".
- Chris Ayres. "Simpsons producers ‘have a cow’ as Bart lends his voice to Scientologists" — , January 30, 2009
- "Will the Voice of Bart Simpson Get In Trouble for 'Unauthorized' Scientology Call?" — , January 29, 2009
- Andy Chalk. "Bart Simpson Shills For Scientology" — , January 29, 2009
- "The Voice of Bart Simpson Now Speaks for Scientology" — , January 29, 2009
- Mike Miliard. "Bart Simpson shills for Scientology" — , January 29, 2009
- Adam McDowell. "Bart Simpson's voice touts Scientology event: Audit my shorts! (Listen here)" — , January 29, 2009
- Bart Simpson's Voice Promotes Scientology" — , January 29, 2009. "
- "Bart Simpson voice used to promote Scientology: Fans have been left fuming after Bart Simpson was used to promote Scientology" — , January 29, 2009
- Claire Sweeney. "Aye carumba! Bart Simpson is spruiking Scientology" — , January 29, 2009
- Jesse Perez. "Bart Simpson used by Cartwright to promote Scientology" — , January 29, 2009
- Chris Matyszczyk. "Bart Simpson robocalls for Scientology" — , January 28, 2009
- Josh Gillin. "Bart Simpson is promoting Scientology now" — , January 28, 2009
- Natalie Finn. "Bart Simpson's Voice Speaks for Scientology" — , January 28, 2009
- Elliot Olshansky. "Bart Simpson's voice being used to promote Scientology event" — , January 28, 2009
- Roy Edroso. "Voice of Bart Simpson Robo-Calls for Scientology" — , January 27, 2009