Bus explosion in Armenian capital kills two
Thursday, April 28, 2016
A bus explosion in, the capital of , on Monday killed two Armenians and reportedly injured at least seven others. Deputy head of the rescue service at the Ministry of Emergency Situations Major-General Grigoryan said the blast was reported on Monday at 10:00pm local time (1800 ).
In remarks to News.am, Armenian Health Minister Armen Muradyan said six injured were transported to a local medical centre. One passenger was revealed to be pregnant, and News.am reported at least five others were in critical condition.
Reportedly the blast destroyed nearby houses' windows, and could be heard for miles.
While authorities are still investigating the incident, the Emergencies Ministry said the bus was using diesel fuel so it wasn't a gas explosion. In remarks to(AP), investigative committee member Sona Truzyan said they have considered and rejected a terrorist explanation. Truzyen reported the committee is currently investigating a party to a domestic dispute. An investigator told AP the suspect had threatened to give them a bomb, which could have exploded accidentally en route to its intended target.
The suspect's telephonewas recovered from the scene,. A detonator, TNT, and other electronics were found at his residence, and evidence of TNT was discovered on the bus.
A 2016 study by crowdsourced sitesays Armenia has the 93rd highest crime rate in the word. It's behind a number of other countries, including the and many European countries.
General Prosecutor's Office of Armenia said they would give the public regular updates on the ongoing investigation.
- "Crime Index for Country 2016" — , April 27, 2016 (date of access)
- "General Prosecutor's Office of Armenia: Bus explosion not terrorism" — , April 26, 2016
- Avet Demourian (Bus explosion in Armenia's capital not terror act, investigators say" — , April 26, 2016). "
- "Armenian investigative committee finds no terror link to Yerevan bus blast" — , April 26, 2016
- Karlen Aslanian. "Armenian Police Identify Chief Suspect In Yerevan Bus Blast" — , April 26, 2016
- "At least 2 dead, 7 injured as blast hits passenger bus in Armenian capital" — , April 26, 2016
- "[Updated] Bus explosion in Yerevan kills 1, injures 6" — , April 25, 2016
- "Bus explosion in Yerevan (Update)" — , April 25, 2016