Canada's social insurance assets pass $140 billion in fourth quarter
Sunday, February 13, 2011
With a fourth-quarter investment earnings of $3.9 Billion, largely driven by stock market rises, the (CPP) assets rose to $140.1 Billion reported the CPP Investment Board on Thursday.
Rate of return for the quarter netted three percent, bringing the first nine months of the fiscal year to 8.3%. The fund's broad exposure to equities, in concert with a good quarter for stocks both in Canada and internationally, was largely to be credited according to CEO David Deneson.
The assets value rose from $127.6 Billion March 31st 2010, to $138.6 B on September 30th, to $140.1 B December 31st. The $3.9 B investment earnings, 3.58 of which came from the 54% of the portfolio in equities, was partially offset by seasonal outlays of $2.4 B to plan members.
The fund was very active throughout the calendar year, and particularly active in infrastructure, real estate, and private equity. As part of a consortium they completed the $4.8 B purchase of UK-based , as well as purchasing Australian-based for $3.4 B thus acquiring a 30% stake in the (ETR) near Toronto — which they expanded purchasing a further 10% stake from Spain’s (CINTRA). They acquired a 25% equity stake in , a retail complex adjacent to London's Olympics venue, among many real estate ventures.
The CPP fund covers every province except Quebec, whose Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec is the only larger pension fund in Canada. The five-year annualised investment rate of return for the CPP reserve fund was 3.5%, its 10-year rate of return was 5.6%, at the close of 2010. The fund was established in 1997.
- "Quarterly Consolidated Financial Statements of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (pdf)" — , December 31, 2010
- Doug Alexander. "Canada Pension Investments Gain 3% as Markets Advance" — , February 10, 2011
- "CPP investment board boasts record assets" — , February 10, 2011
- Barbara Shecter. "CPP Fund boosts assets in Q3 by $1.5B" — , February 10, 2011
- Paula Vasan. "CPPIB Pursues US Commercial Real Estate" — , February 10, 2011