Champions League round of sixteen—first leg results
Saturday, February 24, 2007
- 1 Results
- 1.1 Real Madrid (Spain) 3 - 2 Bayern Munich (Germany)
- 1.2 PSV Eindhoven (Holland) 1 - 0 Arsenal (England)
- 1.3 Lille (France) 0 - 1 Manchester United (England)
- 1.4 Celtic (Scotland) 0 - 0 A.C. Milan (Italy)
- 1.5 Roma (Italy) 0 - 0 Lyon (France)
- 1.6 Inter Milan (Italy) 2 - 2 Valencia (Spain)
- 1.7 Porto (Portugal) 1 - 1 Chelsea (England)
- 1.8 Barcelona (Spain) 1 - 2 Liverpool (England)
- 2 Sources
Real Madrid (Spain) 3 - 2 Bayern Munich (Germany)
English starstarted the game for the , while Canadian/Englishman started his first game back after injury for . Madrid came out fast, with David Beckham passing it to , who slid in a tidy pass to , who slid the ball past in the bottom right corner of the net. Bayern struck back within 13 minutes, after a free kick was headed home by . Madrid kept up the fight, and 5 minutes later, Raúl was on the score sheet again after heading home a David Beckham corner kick. Real increased their lead 5 minutes later, when Ruud van Nistelrooy slotted home a redirected Beckham free kick. Bayern was able to grab a crucial late away goal via .
PSV Eindhoven (Holland) 1 - 0 Arsenal (England)
were without several key players due to their upcoming final against this weekend, but star was in the squad along with as a strike partner. The only goal came in the 61'st minute, when shot a low screamer past from around 25 yards from goal.
Lille (France) 0 - 1 Manchester United (England)
In a game ripe with controversy, Lille protested the goal, saying the team was setting up its wall at the time Giggs took the kick, and the team nearly left the pitch. After goading by officials, the game was resumed, but Lille said it would be making a stake for a replay with . UEFA has rejected the claim and declared the goal valid, as well as deciding to "instigate proceedings against Lille for the improper behaviour of their players immediately after the goal."walked away with a crucial away win after a free kick gave them the lead.
Celtic (Scotland) 0 - 0 A.C. Milan (Italy)
A spirited draw both sides played competitively, but neither had a finishing flourish to seal the points.
Roma (Italy) 0 - 0 Lyon (France)
Another goalless draw, this game lacked discipline. English referee Mike Riley issued 11 yellow cards, 8 foralone.
Inter Milan (Italy) 2 - 2 Valencia (Spain)
came into this game on a 15 game winning league in domestic play, while as also been hot in the Spanish league as of late. Inter struck first with pouncing on a rebound after redirection of a freekick was fabulously saved by goalie . Valencia replied in the second half with a free kick by David Villa Sanchez form 30 yards. Inter restored their lead just over 10 minutes later, as slotted home a pass. As the game wound down, Valancia pressed, and were rewarded with a goal by , a volley ensuing from a corner.
Porto (Portugal) 1 - 1 Chelsea (England)
Both goals happened early in this game, with the home side taking the lead after 12 minutes.volleyed a ball towards the net, and after a deflection of 's knee, the ball beat low. Chelsea leveled only 4 minutes later, when jetted down the sideline and crossed the ball into the middle, where slotted the ball into the bottom corner.
Barcelona (Spain) 1 - 2 Liverpool (England)
This game saw the current champions taking on the champions of the year previous. Barcelona came out strong, and Brazilianscored early, heading in a cross. Liverpool leveled just before half time, with heading a ball across the net, and out of the reach of . After the break, gave Liverpool a crucial away win, as he cleared home a Bellamy pass after some poor defending by Barcelona.
- "Lille face Uefa behaviour charge" — , February 23, 2007
- "Results" — , February 21, 2007
- Chris Bevan. "Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool" — , February 21, 2007
- Sam Lyon. "FC Porto 1-1 Chelsea" — , February 21, 2007
- "Inter Milan 2-2 Valencia" — , February 21, 2007
- "Roma 0-0 Lyon" — , February 21, 2007
- "Lille 0-1 Man Utd" — , February 20, 2007
- Caroline Cheese. "PSV Eindhoven 1-0 Arsenal" — , February 20, 2007
- Clive Lindsay. "Celtic 0-0 AC Milan" — , February 20, 2007
- John Sinnott. "Real Madrid 3-2 Bayern Munich" — , February 20, 2007