Colleges offering admission to displaced New Orleans students/OH-WY

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to navigation Jump to search
See the discussion page for instructions on adding schools to this list and for an alphabetically arranged listing of schools.

Due to the damage by Hurricane Katrina and subsequent flooding, a number of colleges and universities in the New Orleans metropolitan area will not be able to hold classes for the fall 2005 semester. It is estimated that 75,000 to 100,000 students have been displaced. [1]. In response, institutions across the United States and Canada are offering late registration for displaced students so that their academic progress is not unduly delayed. Some are offering free or reduced admission to displaced students. At some universities, especially state universities, this offer is limited to residents of the area.


This is one of five separate articles: three for U.S. States, a fourth for international, a fifth for schools in all locations offering space for faculty, graduate and professional students.

Also, each state is linked below:

Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming | Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands | Canada | Other International


  • Baldwin-Wallace College (Berea, OH) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Expedited admissions for displaced students, campus housing provided at no cost for the fall. Financial aid available on an individual need-based basis. "To expedite the enrollment process, students who are interested should complete our Transient Student form and fax it to the B-W Office of Admission at 440-826-3830. The form can be found online at:" Expedited registration is open until September 9, 2005. [2]
  • Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Case Western Reserve University is offering discounted tuition and other benefits to Tulane University students who would like to continue their college studies this semester. Students must complete their non-degree applications and be registered for classes by September 9. For more information, contact Lynmarie Hamel, Case’s interim assistant dean for undergraduate studies, at 216-368-2928 or via e-mail at [3]
  • Cleveland State University (Cleveland, OH) - The University will offer acceptance to hurricane-affected students who have no way to contact their college to obtain a transcript for transfer admission. Special arrangements also have been set up to accept graduate and international students. Already University officials have admitted some 20 students displaced from Tulane, Loyola, Xavier and other colleges and universities. [4]
  • College of Mount St. Joseph (Cincinnati, OH) - Welcomes displaced students, particularly from Xavier University of Louisiana. "The College welcomes displaced college students from the affected areas to enroll for fall semester classes as visiting students by September 19, 2005. The Mount will waive tuition and fees and provide room and board for qualified students who can demonstrate some evidence of their enrollment at their own college or university; students will need to cover the cost of books and transportation to Cincinnati." For more information, call 1-800-654-9314 or 513-244-4531, or e-mail [5]
  • Hiram College (Hiram, OH) - "Hiram College President Thomas V. Chema is offering his home as housing for faculty members and residence hall rooms for students attending institutions impacted by Hurricane Katrina. The offer includes the use of campus facilities enjoyed by the rest of the Hiram community. "As we thought about ways to provide support to students displaced by the hurricane, we recognized that the opportunity to continue on in classes with familiar faculty and classmates would be a source of comfort for the victims," said Chema. [6]
  • John Carroll University (Cleveland, OH) - "The executive committee is therefore recommending that each of our schools, in response to the requests you have been receiving, admit Loyola New Orleans students as visiting non-matriculating students for the fall semester, with the expectation that they would return to Loyola in the spring semester with credits earned transferable back to Loyola.” John Carroll embraces this policy. Fall semester classes began on Monday, August 29th, but the university will admit resident and non-resident students affected by the storm for a period of several more days. We will review each request individually and respond according to its special circumstances. Calls of inquiry should be directed to Mr. Steve Vitatoe, Interim Director of Admission, in the university’s Office of Admissions (216-397-4294," [7]
  • Kent State University (Kent, OH) - Kent State stands ready to help students who are displaced because of the hurricane. We are in contact with the America Council on Education and the Ohio Board of Regents to help place students whose colleges have closed because of the disaster. Our residence halls are at capacity, so we can likely be most helpful to students who have family in the Northeast Ohio area. Some academic departments on our campuses also are planning to offer office space, where available, and Internet access to faculty colleagues from the affected area. This offer may have limited application but could be valuable for displaced faculty members with Ohio connections, but we already are assisting an international scholar. Similar initiatives can be reported to individual deans, chairs and directors. [8]
  • Kenyon College (Gambier, Ohio) - The College is admitting, on a case-by-case basis, a limited number of students who have been displaced from their colleges or universities in the disaster area. [9]
  • Malone College (Canton, OH) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Malone College will assist students displaced by Hurricane Katrina by enrolling them and offering scholarships to qualified students. Application fees will be waived. Interested students should contact the Malone College Admissions Center at 1-800-521-1146. This enrollment period runs through Friday, September 9." [10]
  • Marietta College (Marietta, OH) - Offers tuition-free enrollment to local students affected by Hurricane Katrina for one semester. Students will be expected to return to their home institutions for the spring term. "Students interested in Marietta’s offer should bring a student I.D. or some other proof that they were enrolled in one of the impacted institutions." For more information, contact the admissions office at 1-800-331-7896. [11]
  • Miami University (Miami, OH) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "About 10 students who were accepted by both Miami and Tulane University, but chose to enroll at Tulane, have contacted Miami, seeking admission either on a temporary or permanent basis. All normal admission formalities have been waived and they have been immediately accepted. Efforts are underway to get the displaced students settled into courses and residence halls...Another 20 Tulane and Loyola University students who had not previously been accepted by Miami have contacted the university about enrolling this fall and officials are processing their applications on a case-by-case situation. Since Miami’s classes began Aug. 23, it is important that any displaced student begin classes as soon as possible with the target cutoff date set at Tuesday, Sept. 6, said Skillings." [12]
  • Mount Vernon Nazarene University (Mount Vernon, OH) - "In addition, MVNU opens its doors to students who are already accepted by or enrolled in a regionally accredited college, university or community college in Louisiana or Mississippi. MVNU will allow these students to enroll tuition-free during the 2005 fall semester in any undergraduate classes that are not already filled to capacity. MVNU will provide 'conditional' enrollment to these students until full documentation is provided in subsequent weeks." Contact admissions at 1-866-462-6862 or at [13]
  • Notre Dame College (South Euclid, OH) - "Notre Dame College will accept any Northern Ohio student who is impacted by the flooding due to hurricane Katrina. Northern Ohio residents who are enrolled in colleges and universities in the New Orleans area may attend Notre Dame College free of charge for one semester." For more information, contact David Armstrong at 216-373-5355 or at [14]
  • Oberlin College (Oberlin, OH) - The Office of Admissions has received a number of inquiries from students enrolled at Tulane University and other colleges in the devastated region. Today we admitted three Tulane first-year students to Oberlin. We are doing our very best to accommodate the individual needs of these and other students. [15]
  • Ohio Northern University (Ada, OH) - Welcomes displaced students to study at ONU for the fall term at no additional tuition, if all costs were previously paid at their home institutions. "In addition to the university’s undergraduate programs, the ONU Pettit College of Law will allow any Tulane or Loyola of New Orleans students to sit in fall classes without formally registering or paying fees, until the respective schools determine if and when they will reopen." Contact admissions at 1-888-408-4ONU for more information. Law students contact Associate Dean John Christoff at 419-722-2206. [16]
  • The Ohio State University (Columbus, OH) - Ohio State's autumn quarter begins September 21st. If you are an undergraduate student enrolled at another university impacted by Hurricane Katrina, and you want information about attending Ohio State autumn quarter, contact Christine Harper ( in Undergraduate Admissions. If you are a graduate or professional student enrolled at another university impacted by Hurricane Katrina, and you want information about attending Ohio State autumn quarter, contact Nance Hoza ( in Graduate and Professional Admissions. [17]
  • Ohio University (Athens, OH) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. The university's admissions process will be expedited for students who were displaced by the hurricane, with the goal of their starting classes by Sept. 13. Fall quarter opens Sept. 6. Displaced students can contact the Office of Admissions at (740) 593-4100. The university has already enrolled three students...On-campus housing will be provided. Temporary spaces have been identified where students can be housed immediately, pending a move to a permanent residence. [18]
  • Ohio Wesleyan University (Delaware, OH) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Ohio Wesleyan will open its doors this semester to qualified students from Tulane, Dillard, Loyola University of New Orleans and other colleges and universities in the hurricane-affected region." For information, contact Carol DelPropost at no later than September 8, 2005. [19]
  • University of Akron (Akron, OH) - "The university continues to offer admissions assistance to area students who had planned to attend Gulf Coast universities that are now closed. Late fees are being waived and a variety of counseling and advising services are being offered. About a half a dozen students have already taken advantage of this offer. For more information call the UA Office of Admissions at 330-972-7077." [20]
  • University of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, OH) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Students must complete the application and registration processes by Monday, September 12. Complete a paper University of Cincinnati application. Students should NOT apply on-line. The University of Cincinnati will waive the $40 application fee and the $50 matriculation fee. Collect as much academic information as possible:Freshmen should provide their high school transcript (a faxed copy from your high school can be sent to 513-556-1105). To assist with advisement and registration, students previously enrolled at one of the affected schools should provide transcripts if available, or provide a list of coursework previously completed, or a list of courses they were enrolled in for the current term. Collect as much financial information as possible: Financial aid documentation, especially Federal financial aid awarded. Payment information associated with the affected university. Bring the completed application and supporting documentation to the University of Cincinnati Office of Admissions. The University of Cincinnati cannot guarantee availability of enrollment in all academic programs due to capacity limitations. Every attempt will be made to assist students in the development of an academic schedule that is compatible with programs of study at their home campuses, but students should be prepared to consider alternate coursework. [21]
  • University of Dayton (Dayton, OH) - "Welcomes academically qualified undergraduate and graduate students effected by Hurricane Katrina. For students whose institutions (Tulane, Xavier, Loyola, Dillard and other campuses in New Orleans) have closed as a result of the hurricane and who are residents of New Orleans, the University of Dayton will offer free tuition for the fall term. Other students with permanent residency outside of New Orleans will be admitted on a case-by-case basis. The University also is able to house up to 100 students. Students seeking to enroll in the emergency admission program should contact Mr. Rob Durkle in the Office of Admission at 937-229-4411." [22]
  • University of Toledo (Toledo, OH) - "We will open our doors to anyone that was enrolled at a Gulf Coast school that has had their college life turned upside-down by this tragedy. These students may audit our classes initially. However, if their institution cannot reopen for several months, we will fully enroll them free of charge." For information, contact admissions at 419-277-2584 or at [23]
  • Wittenberg University (Springfield, OH) - "offers free fall tuition to students enrolled at colleges and universities currently closed in the Gulf States region." For more information, contact Brad Pochard at 937-327-6314 or at [24]
  • Xavier University (Cincinnati, OH) - "Xavier is opening its doors to students from at least three Gulf Coast colleges devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Students from Loyola New Orleans, Xavier University of Louisiana and Tulane University are being admitted to Xavier...In addition to Loyola, the University has heard from Tulane students who are from Cincinnati and has admitted at least three of them. Xavier is also expected to admit some students from Xavier University of Louisiana, which was one of the hardest hit campuses. Xavier of Louisiana is a four-year, private school founded in 1915 by Katherine Drexel and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. It is the only predominantly black Catholic-affiliated university in the Western Hemisphere and one of only a few historically black institutions with a college of pharmacy." [25]


  • Oklahoma City University (Oklahoma City, OK) - "Will offer free tuition to any student enrolled at a college or university affected by Hurricane Katrina." [26]
  • Oklahoma State University (Stillwater, OK) - Tuition and fees will be waived for New Orleans students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Graduate office of admissions is waiving application fees and requirements for transcript and other documents. OSU will work with students to find housing on campus or in the community. Undergraduates, contact Office of Enrollment Management at 1-405-744-4366. Graduate students, call 405-744-6368. [27]
  • St. Gregory's University (Shawnee, OK) - Offers classes and financial aid to displaced students. Contact the school immediately at 405-878-5462, or Fr. Charles Buckley at [28]
  • University of Oklahoma (Norman, OK) - The Registration Office has been authorized to enroll students in open sections for the next few days, although efforts are being made to encourage students to enroll in courses which begin later in the semester. ... Sharon Winslow, Assistant to the Registrar, is the point of contact for each of these students 405-325-8481. [29]
  • University of Tulsa (Tulsa, OK) - Has a webpage setup for those who enroll as displaced students [30]


  • Concordia University (Portland, OR) - Offers tuition-free enrollment and housing to displaced students for fall semester. Contact Katy Spinks at 503-493-6495 for more information. [31]
  • Corban College (Salem, OR) - Is development a tuition waiver program for those affected. Contact Karen Willoughby at 503-375-7018 for more information. [32]
  • George Fox University (Newberg, OR) - "George Fox will grant a semester of free tuition to any student from an institution not able to function because of Hurricane Katrina. Students will pay tuition to their home institution. Interested students should contact Ryan Dougherty at 503-554-2246." [33]
  • Lewis & Clark College (Portland, OR) - President Hochstettler writes, "Any student at an accredited institution in the stricken area who is pursuing a course of study comparable to one that we offer is eligible to apply for visiting status for fall semester at Lewis & Clark. We anticipate that most of these students will have ties to the Portland area and that their number will be quite small. We will not charge these students tuition, but we will expect them to pay to their own institutions the tuition that they would normally have paid this semester, net of any financial aid that they may have been awarded. If they have not yet paid their fall tuition to their home schools, we will collect those fees and pass them on to the home school as soon as circumstances allow." [34]
  • Linfield College (McMinnville, OR) - "Students from affected institutions may enroll at Linfield for fall semester for the cost of only room, board and fees above and beyond tuition. Tuition charges will be waived for students as long as they have already paid their tuition at one of the affected colleges or universities. Any tuition dollars Linfield collects from students who have not yet paid their tuition at sister institutions will be forwarded on to them for use in their recovery efforts." For more information, contact Lisa Knodle-Bragiel at 503-883-2214 or at [35]
  • Marylhurst University (Marylhurst, OR) - " Marylhurst University’s $280,000 Katrina Emergency Scholarship Fund will award 20 need-based scholarships to undergraduate college students disrupted by Hurricane Katrina. Each $14,000 scholarship waives tuition and fees for 45 quarter-credit hours. The scholarships will be awarded to low-income students for use during the 2005-2006 academic year, starting September 22, 2005, and continuing through Summer term 2006." For more information, contact Marlene-McKee Flores at or at 1-800-634-9982. [36]


  • Northwest Christian College (Eugene, OR) - "is offering free tuition, room, and board to 15 college students displaced by Hurricane Katrina." Interested students should contact Randy Jones or Jean Meeks at 877-463-6622. [38]
  • Pacific Northwest College of Art (Portland, OR) - "PNCA offers to enroll undergraduate students majoring in fine art and design who are currently enrolled in an accredited college or university that have postponed or terminated classes as a result of Hurricane Katrina." Fall tuition waiver. Limited housing available. Contact Michael Hall at or at 503-821-8920 for more information. [39]
  • Pacific University (Forest Grove, OR) - "Pacific University stands ready to accept qualified displaced students now unable to continue their studies at damaged campuses within the disaster area. Each student seeking admission will be considered on a case-by-case basis, coordinated through Dr. Len Hightower, Vice President for Enrollment Management, at or 503-352-2267." [40]
  • University of Oregon (Eugene, OR) - College and university students displaced by the effects of Hurricane Katrina can seek admission to the University of Oregon. Moseley said the university will work to admit students affected by the hurricane on a provisional basis through fall term. Students affected by Hurricane Katrina who are interested in attending the University of Oregon, or are now interested in attending the university on a provisional basis during fall term, should contact the University of Oregon Office of Academic Advising at (541) 346-3211. Out-of-state students enrolled at a school closed by the disaster are being offered in-state tuition for fall term, and Oregon students who had planned to attend a school in the stricken area will be allowed to attend the UO. The school also will make accommodations for UO students from the Gulf region who are unable to get to Eugene in time for the start of classes Sept. 26. [41]
  • University of Portland (Portland, OR) - "The Provost and Office of Admission have extended registration deadlines for fall semester to accommodate students of New Orleans-area schools. As of Tuesday, about 10 of the affected students had inquired about enrollment at the University." Contact John Furey at 503-943-7202 for more information. [42]
  • Willamette University (Salem, OR) - "Willamette's College of Liberal Arts and its professional schools (law, business management and education) have made arrangements to accept displaced students who are in good standing and who express a desire to attend Willamette. Students who have enrolled at institutions now being evacuated may attend Willamette tuition-free for one semester." For information, call the university's general line at 503-370-6300. [43]


  • Alvernia College (Reading, PA) - Offers classroom space and available housing to displaced students. For more information, call 610-796-8340. [44]
  • Bryn Mawr College (Bryn Mawr, PA) - The College will offer students enrolled at hurricane-stricken colleges and universities access to Bryn Mawr classes this fall through our Continuing Education program. We anticipate that most of these students will have ties to the Philadelphia area and that their number will be quite small. We will not charge these students tuition, but we will expect them to pay to their own institutions the tuition that they would normally have paid this semester. If they have not yet paid their fall tuition to their home schools, we will collect those fees and pass them on to the home school as soon as circumstances allow. Unfortunately, we do not have housing to offer. Anyone interested in enrolling should contact Associate Dean Rona Pietrzak at 610-526-5373 or [45]
  • Bucknell University (Lewisburg, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Bucknell offers admission to students who had their education disrupted by Hurricane Katrina. Deadline for application is September 9, 2005. Interested students should contact Kurt Thiede, vice president of enrollment management, at 570-577-1618. [46]
  • Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) - Carnegie Mellon announced to its students on September 2, 2005 that "we have spoken with a small number of Tulane students and have offered them the opportunity to take the fall semester here as non-degree students, with attendant student supports, including housing and dining. We are also in close contact with the Association of American Universities (AAU) and other colleges and universities involved in helping students from the affected area, in order to ensure that we act in a coordinated fashion to provide the most relevant support to students in need." [47]
  • Chatham College (Pittsburgh, PA) - "Chatham will waive fall semester tuition, or $11,435, for seven new or matriculated female students from any accredited institution unable to admit students because of Hurricane Katrina. On-campus housing will be available, and students will be granted full rights and privileges. For more information, prospective students should contact Michael Poll, vice president for admissions, at 1-800-837-1290 or 412-365-1139, or via email at" [48]
  • DeSales University (Center Valley, VA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "For any undergraduate student at an institution affected by this disaster, tuition will not be charged for the fall semester. Housing is available on a limited basis for men who would like to live on campus. Women within commutable distance of our campus can continue their education through this outreach program, but we cannot commit campus housing available to them at this time." Contact Pete Rautzhan at or at 1-877-4DESALES, by September 9, 2005. [49]
  • Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA) - Offers enrollment to students from the Delaware Valley studying at affected universities. [50]
  • Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA) - "The University is now accepting students from all schools in the Gulf Coast, especially those from Loyola University and Xavier University—the major Catholic higher education institutions in New Orleans—as well as Tulane University." For more information, contact the school at 412-396-6000 or 1-800-456-0590. [51]
  • Franklin & Marshall College (Lancaster, PA) - Offers tuition-free enrollment for academically-qualified displaced students for one semester, on a space-available basis. On-campus housing extremely limited. For more information, contact Marcy Dubroff at 717-291-3837. [52]
  • Gettysburg College (Gettysburg, PA) - "The college will make arrangements for academically qualified students from the central Pennsylvania and Maryland region enrolled in colleges or universities affected by the hurricane to take fall semester classes as guest students, and will waive tuition fees for the fall semester." For information, contact admissions at 717-337-6100 or at 1-800-431-0803. [53]
  • Immaculate University (Immaculate, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "The university will expedite the admissions process through the College of LifeLong Learning. Students are asked to submit documentation of admission or attendance at a Gulf Coast university. The university will work with students on the transferring of financial aid. Limited housing is available. Please contact the College of LifeLong Learning at Immaculata University, 610-647-4400, ext. 3445. Deadline for enrollment for the fall semester: Monday, September 12." [54]
  • Indiana University of Pennsylvania (Indiana, PA) - "Students in states that have been affected by Hurricane Katrina and who have been displaced by the disaster are welcome to enroll at IUP. For information, contact Nicole Carrera, associate dean of admissions, by calling 1-800-442-6830 or 724-357-5513 or sending e-mail to" [55]
  • La Salle University (Philadelphia, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. If a student’s home institution is unable to conduct Fall 2005 semester classes, he or she is invited to inquire about how La Salle might be able to help meet immediate academic needs...La Salle will accept students until Friday, September 9, 2005. La Salle will offer available on-campus housing at prevailing rates and provide a meal plan at no additional cost to full-time students. All inquiries should be directed to the Undergraduate Admission Office. Contact person: Melissa Yogis, Associate Dean of Admission and Student Financial Services, at 215.951.1500 or at This office will also coordinate all on-campus services for displaced students. [56]
  • Lafayette College (Easton, PA) - "Is dealing as quickly as possible, on a case-by-case basis, with many inquiries received over the last few days from students enrolled at colleges and universities in the devastated area. A small number of students from Tulane University and Loyola University have enrolled at Lafayette and moved into campus housing. The process is still ongoing, and the number of displaced students enrolling at the College may grow over the next few days. Contact Carol Rowlands, Director of Admissions, at 610-330-5109 or" [57]
  • Luzerne County colleges and universities (Luzerne County, PA) - Colleges and universities in the Luzerne County of Pennsylvania are offering assistance to students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Contact information for each school is as follows: [58]
  • Manor College (Jenkintown, PA) - " Manor College (PA) is accepting displaced students affected by Hurricane Katrina. Please contact Manor's Admissions Office at 215-884-2216 or e-mail" [60]
  • Marywood College (Scranton, PA) - "Is offering free tuition, room and board to Phi Theta Kappa students displaced from their Gulf Coast community or junior colleges by Hurricane Katrina." Apply by September 27, 2005. For more information, contact Dennis Kelly at 570-961-4728 or at [61]
  • Messiah College (Grantham, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Messiah College (PA) will enroll, register, and waive tuition, fees, and room charges for the fall semester for students who are currently enrolled at regionally accredited institutions closed as a result of Hurricane Katrina. This offer applies to students who had already made arrangements for these costs with their home institutions." Apply by September 15, 2005. For more information, call 1-800-233-4220 or e-mail [62]
  • Moore College of Art & Design (Philadelphia, PA) - "The president of Moore College of Art and Design (PA) in Philadelphia has extended an offer to take "female students who can live in our residence halls and can take classes that fit with our art and design focus." Interested students can email Happy Fernandez, President, at" [63]
  • Muhlenberg College (Allentown, PA) - Offers tuition- and fee waivers to students displaced by Hurricane Katrina as long as they pay the same fees and tuition rates as their home institutions. For information, call the school's general line at 484-664-3100 or 484-664-3623. [64]
  • Mercyhurst College (Erie, PA) is accepting students from the tri-state area currently enrolled in an affected institution.[65]
  • Penn State University (State College, PA) is opening all 24 campuses to affected students. Furthermore, enrolled students from the affected states who are in need of financial assistance should contact the Office of Financial Aid at (814) 863-0507. LiveJournal user rockstarbob can help. [66]
  • Peirce College (Philadelphia, PA) - To students enrolled at colleges affected by Hurricane Katrina, Peirce College would like to offer the following assistance to help during this difficult time: 1) 25% tuition discount (of Peirce College tuition rates) 2) No application fee 3) Accelerated admissions 4) Accelerated transfer of credit when you’re ready to return to your home school 5) Online classes available on the Web, with no residency requirements 6) Business, information technology, paralegal studies, and general education courses. Contact 888.GO.PEIRCE or[69]
  • Robert Morris University (Moon Township, PA) - is prepared to admit up 20 Undergraduate and 20 Graduate students for the Fall 2005 semester. 412-262-8521,, [70]
  • St. Joseph's University (Philadelphia, PA) - "Saint Joseph's University officials announced today that the University would accept up to 20 students from fellow Jesuit school Loyola University New Orleans to study tuition-free for the Fall 2005 semester...SJU will accept students through Friday, September 9. Tuition dollars will remain at Loyola, and meal plans will be provided by Saint Joseph's without cost to the affected students. Students will be asked to provide LOYNO identification, and will be accepted with the understanding that they will transfer their credits back to Loyola after the Fall semester. Those interested in beginning the admissions and registration process should contact Maria L. Mooney, associate director of admissions, at 610-660-1129, Those with housing questions should contact Denys Davis, coordinator of off-campus housing, at 610-660-1003," [71]
  • Susquehanna University (Selinsgrove, PA) - "Displaced students from Gulf Coast colleges interested in continuing their studies at Susquehanna University until their schools are once again operational should contact Chris Markle, director of admissions, at 570-372-4260, 1-800-326-9672 or as soon as possible." [72]
  • Swarthmore College (Swarthmore, PA) - "President Alfred H. Bloom said today the College will welcome up to 15 students from institutions closed by the disaster in the Gulf region. They will be accepted as special students for one semester, contingent on their qualifications and their understanding that classes are already in session and that enrollment in particular classes is subject to space availability." [73]
  • Temple University (Philadelphia, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Undergraduate students enrolled in a college or university closed by the storm can temporarily enroll at Temple, at no charge, while paying tuition and fees to their home institutions. Enrollment options may also be available for graduate and professional students. Because classes at Temple began Aug. 29, 2005, students are encouraged to contact Temple University as soon as possible. Registration must be completed by Monday, Sept. 12, the last day to late register for the fall semester." [74]
  • Thiel College (Mercy County, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Thiel College (PA) is opening its doors to displaced students and higher education employees from Gulf Coast colleges that are now closed or under repair as a result of Hurricane Katrina. Displaced students are invited, on a space available basis, to complete their fall semesters at Thiel College. The college will waive the fall semester's tuition." Contact Dr. W. Jeffrey Welsh at 1-800-248-4435 by September 9, 2005. [75]
  • University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) - Update Sept. 8: All available spaces in the undergraduate program have been taken, applications no longer accepted. Offers enrollment to displaced Philadelphia area students... as many as 100 undergraduate students. In addition, graduate and professional students will be considered on an individual basis, depending on available space. 215-573-4338 The expectation is that the emergency program would serve students within commuting distance. [76] Graduate students contact the departments directly. [77]
  • University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) - "We are offering guest student status to Pennsylvania residents (and, in some limited cases, to nonresident students) who are undergraduate or graduate students at colleges and universities closed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. We already are beginning to receive and process these special applications and expect some of these students to enroll at the beginning of next week. If a given student is not able to commute, we will try to assist that student in finding appropriate housing nearby – though no campus housing is available. We also will offer guest scholar status to faculty from affected universities who wish to use our libraries." LiveJournal users ergonic_orange is an undergrad and max_ambiguity is a grad student who can help. [78]
  • University of Scranton (Scranton, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Extended admission deadline to September 9 for victims attending Loyola University New Orleans, Tulane University, and Xavier University of Louisiana. [79] New info page uploaded September 7. [80]
  • University of the Sciences (Philadelphia, PA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Students who would like to enroll as temporary students must do so by September 16, as classes began on August 29 and space is limited." For more information, contact Dr. Margaret Kasschau at 215-596-7668 or at [81]
  • Villanova University (Villanova, PA) - Our first response has been to accept a number of students from schools in the affected area who will be joining us on Tuesday, September 6. Contact: [82]
  • Wilson College (Chambersburg, PA) - "The college will assist any new or matriculated student from any regionally accredited institution that now unable to serve its students due to this horrific disaster. Students interested in temporarily continuing their studies at Wilson will be granted visiting status and will be integrated into our community with full rights and privileges afforded all students." For more information, contact Linda Brittain at 1-800-421-8402 or at 717-262-2002. E-mail at [83]
  • York College (York, PA) - "Will accommodate displaced New Orleans students by waiving all application and late fees and by providing personal and flexible academic advising, especially for transfer students who do not have access to official transcripts. All of our on campus student housing units are completely filled, but we will do everything possible to provide appropriate classroom space." For more information, contact the admissions office at 717-849-1600 or at 1-800-445-8018. [84]

Rhode Island

  • Brown University (Providence, RI) - Brown and the seven other institutions in the Rhode Island Independent Higher Education Association (RIIHEA) will offer admission for the upcoming semester to Rhode Island residents whose studies at colleges and universities in the devastated areas have been interrupted by the hurricane. Students will apply through RIIHEA, which will coordinate with member institutions. Brown will supply a staff member to assist this effort for undergraduate students, graduate students, and medical students who are Rhode Island residents. Displaced students who are Rhode Island residents may contact RIIHEA directly at (401) 272-8270. Students who would otherwise be enrolled in colleges and universities in the affected communities and who are siblings of currently enrolled Brown students will also be offered admission to the University for one semester. In addition, Brown will accept undergraduates for one semester from Xavier University of Louisiana, Dillard University, and Tulane University whose studies have been interrupted by the disaster. Students who are admitted to Brown under this assistance program will not be charged tuition. [85]
  • Johnson & Wales University (Providence, RI) - Offers free tuition for one term to displaced students originally from Rhode Island. Contact Ron Martel or Maureen Dumas for assistance. 1-800-DIAL-JWU. [86]
  • Providence College (Providence, RI) - "Students from outside of Rhode Island who enrolled at colleges and universities in the affected areas also may attend Providence College for academic credit for the fall 2005 semester for normal tuition costs. These students will be considered to have “out-of-state special student status” for the fall 2005 semester. For more information or to enroll, contact Brian Williams, dean of enrollment services, at (401) 865-2770 or visit Harkins Hall, Room 411 on the Providence College campus." [87]
  • Salve Regina University (Newport, RI) - "RIIHEA (Rhode Island Independent Higher Education Association) members will provide one semester of free registration to courses. Rhode Island students who are in that situation should contact the RIIHEA office at 401-272-8270 for information. Beyond that initiative, the university in the process of finalizing details to offer online courses to graduate students from universities in the Gulf Coast region with the understanding that the students would transfer the courses back to their original institutions." [88]
  • University of Rhode Island (Kingston, RI) - "The University of Rhode is offering emergency admission to qualified Rhode Islanders and out-of-state students whose enrollments at colleges and universities in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama were derailed by Hurricane Katrina." For freshmen enrollment information, contact Nancy Strickin,, 401-874-7113. For transfer information, contact Joe Walsh,, 401-874-7103. [89]
  • Widener University (Chester, PA) - Widener University is offering tuition-free admission to all undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a college or university that has had to shut down because of Hurricane Katrina. In addition, Widener University School of Law, located on campuses in Wilmington, Del. and Harrisburg, Pa., is offering tuition-free admission to law students who are currently enrolled in either Tulane University or Loyola University and who are now displaced as a result of the disaster. Many faculty and staff members have even offered to house these students at no cost while they attend Widener School of Law. For more information about Widener University relief efforts, please contact Dr. Dexter L. Davis at 610.499.1169 or

South Carolina

  • Clemson University (Clemson, SC) - " Clemson University also is open to and responding to inquiries from students displaced from the colleges and universities in the affected areas. The University graduate and undergraduate admissions staff will work with these students to assist them with housing and academic courses." Graduate students, contact Frankie Felder at 864-656-1845 or at Undergraduate students, contact Robert Barkley at 864-656-5463 or at [90]
  • Coker College (Hartsville, SC) - "As long as they have proof of enrollment, such as a valid student ID, financial aid data or a grade report, students from Gulf Coast institutions shut down by Katrina will receive automatic admission to Coker College. Coker also has a limited amount of residence hall space to accommodate displaced students who enroll on the board plan." For more information, call admissions at 1-800-950-1908 or e-mail [91]
  • Columbia College (Columbia, SC) - "The faculty, staff, and students at Columbia College (SC), a women's college in South Carolina, are eager to support students displaced by Katrina. We will work with non-degree seeking students to transfer to their home institutions when recovery efforts allow. For up to 44 residential students, we will waive tuition for the fall semester." For information, contact the school's general line at 1-800-277-1301 or at 803-786-3871. [92]
  • Converse College (Spartanburg, SC) - "Converse announced today that students who have been accepted at four-year institutions affected by the hurricane are welcome on a space-available basis for enrollment during Fall Term or for the entire 2005-2006 academic year. Converse is minimizing costs to students by offering significant reductions in tuition and room/board costs. The college's financial aid office is also available to assist students in any way possible." For information, call 1-800-766-1125 or e-mail [93]
  • Lander University (Greenwood, SC) - Offers expedited enrollment for up to 50 displaced students previously enrolled in an Louisiana or Mississippi college or university. Free housing is available. For more information, contact the office of admissions at 1-888-4-LANDER or at [94]
  • University of South Carolina (Columbia, SC) - Undergraduate students interested in studying at USC should contact Scott King in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 803 777-4067 or via email for further details. Graduate Students should contact Dr. Chris Ebert at 803 777-2808 or via email at Law students displaced by the storm should contact Paul Rollins at 803 777-6605 or via email at [95]

South Dakota

  • University of South Dakota (Vermillion, SD) - "The South Dakota Board of Regents has extended the fall admissions deadline until Sept. 23 for college students impacted by the hurricane and flood-related disasters in the Gulf Coast area." Offer good for students originally from South Dakota, who might be eligible for the state's Opportunity Scholarship. For more information, contact the admissions office at 605-677-5434, or the Board of Regents office at 605-773-3455. [96]


  • Belmont University (Nashville, TN) - "Offers to enroll students from the affected institutions with the tuition revenue to be collected and retained by their home institution." [97]
  • Carson-Newman College (Jefferson City, TN) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Carson-Newman College will offer an emergency transfer provision to students displaced by the ravages of Hurricane Katrina." Offer remains open until September 16, 2005. Contact Tom Huebner at 865-471-3223 or at [98]
  • Christian Brothers University (Memphis, TN) - "Scholarships and tuition assistance is also part of this offering. Students and their families should call CBU Admissions at 901-321-3205 or toll free at 1-800-321-4CBU for more information and details." Limited housing available. Option to start in October for accelerated 8-week term. For more information, call CBU at 901-321-3205 or 1-800-321-4CBU. [99]
  • Crichton College (Memphis, TN) - "Will accommodate any students that have been displaced as far as classes go. We are maxed in our student housing....but can even double up there on couches." Contact admissions at 901-320-9797 or 1-800-960-9777. [100]
  • East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, TN) - "East Tennessee State University officials are following Gov. Phil Bredesen's directive to assist college students in several nearby states who are presently displaced by Hurricane Katrina by offering them the opportunity to enroll in ETSU undergraduate, graduate and James H. Quillen College of Medicine fall semester classes which are already under way." Contact admissions at (800) 462-3878. [101]
  • Hiwassee College (Madisonville, TN) - Offers enrollment under special status. Room charges will be waived. For more information, contact the office of admissions at 1-800-356-2187. [102]
  • Lipscomb University (Nashville, TN) - "Lipscomb University is opening its doors to students temporarily displaced by the devastation of Hurricane Katrina this week. Although classes began Aug. 22, Lipscomb administrators are willing to work with students to admit them quickly and get them registered for classes pending the reopening of their universities." For more information, call admissions at 615-269-1776 or 1-800-333-4358. [103]
  • Memphis College of Art (Memphis, TN) - "We have had some displaced students arrive and are ready to welcome others. Anyone with questions should call 901-272-5100 or email Annette James-Moore at" [104]
  • Middle Tennessee State University (Mufreesboro, TN) - "Students will be admitted free of charge, there are rooms available in housing, and we will accommodate them with a meal plan and books." Accepting both undergraduate and graduate students. Call admissions at 614-898-2111 or Sharon Kintzler at 615-898-2235. Graduate students, call 615-898-2840. [105]
  • Rhodes College (Memphis, TN - To inquire about admission, contact Dorothy Brownyard at 901-843-3710 or toll free at 800-844-4969. [106]
  • Sewanee, the University of the South (Sewanee, TN) - "At present, we expect to enroll up to 10 students. Students who have already paid tuition fees elsewhere may enroll at Sewanee without payment of additional tuition fees. Displaced students interested in enrolling at Sewanee should contact David Lesesne, dean of admission, at, or you may call him at 800-522-2234." [107]
  • University of Memphis (Memphis, TN) - is accepting students from universities affected; students will receive the in-state tuition rate and not be required to provide transcripts or other proof of good standing. [108]
  • Union University (Jackson, TN) - is accepting students displaced by the storm. Contact Robbie Graves, director of admissions and recruiting, at (731) 661-5590 or e mail him at, for more information. [109]
  • University of Tennessee System (TN statewide)
    • UT Chattanooga (Chattanooga, TN) - Students who have paid tuition to those schools may attend Tennessee higher education institutions with those payments counting as their tuition. Students who have not yet paid tuition to other campuses may attend at in-state rates. UTC can accept around 100 students. [110]
    • UT Knoxville (Knoxville, TN) - Eligible students will not pay tuition or housing if they've already paid at their schools. If eligible students have not paid tuition at their schools, they will pay the in-state rate to attend UT and housing fees that apply. Our help will be available as long as the students are directly displaced and their colleges and universities are closed. UTK has offered to bring in up to 500 undergraduate students, as well as 50 law students (20 first-year students, 30 from the upper division) and all graduate students who wish to enroll. We also have streamlined the process for admission so that students may resume their educations as quickly as possible. Undergraduate Students Connie Harmon at (865)974-1180. Graduate Students Rose Ann Trantham at (865)974-1339. Law Students Karen Britton or Rachel Inman at (865)974-4131. Housing Jerry Adams at (865)974-2571. [111]
  • Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN) - Displaced Gulf Coast area students who are residents of Middle Tennessee or have immediate family in the area may enroll in Vanderbilt classes by September 7 free of charge. The Divinity School is accepting continuing students, who will be classified as Visiting Students. The deadline for application is the end of the week of Sept. 5. The Graduate School, upon the recommendation of a Director of Graduate Studies and the appropriate school or college Dean's office, will approve limited-term admission, for the Fall 2005 semester only. Vanderbilt Law School will accept up to 25 students from the law schools at Tulane and Loyola universities. "In accordance with the wishes of the deans from those schools, we will accept only third-year students from Tulane and second- and third-year students from Loyola," said, Don Welch, associate dean of the Vanderbilt Law School. Students interested in a specific professional program should contact that school's admissions office directly. [112]


  • Abilene Christian University (Abilene, TX) - will allow students to pay their tuition to ACU, if their tuition was lower than ACU's standard tuition; students will be counseled on a one-on-one basis to determine enrollment status. [113]
  • Amberton University (Garland, TX) - "Amberton University, a Christian institution designed for the working adult student, is reaching out to aid displaced junior/senior level and graduate students who have been affected by Hurricane Katrina." Registration through September 17, 2005. Limited scholarship available, more information on Web site. Contact Student Services at 972-279-6511 ext. 180 or at "In addition, Amberton has employment opportunities available for displaced faculty who hold a doctorate degree in Business/Management, Counseling, etc. Please contact Dr. Algia Allen, Vice President of Academic Services, for details ( or 972/279-6511 ext. 135). [114]
  • Austin College (Sherman, TX) - "College officials welcome the opportunity to work with displaced students to assist them in their effort to continue their college studies this fall. Unfortunately housing on campus is full but the college will provide assistance to help admitted students secure accommodations." Contact the office of admissions immediately at 1-800-526-4276. [115]
  • Baylor University (Waco, TX) - Baylor is working to accommodate upperclassmen from higher education institutions in the hurricane-affected areas to assimilate them into the university so they can continue their studies on a temporary basis. At this time Baylor is unable to accommodate additional freshmen, but admissions staff members are working to admit sophomores, juniors and seniors for the fall semester on a space available basis...Baylor's George W. Truett Theological Seminary has offered to accommodate students at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary for a semester while the Louisiana school recovers from the hurricane. Baylor's School of Law has offered to work with the law schools at Tulane and Loyola to accommodate their law students as visiting law students while the Louisiana schools recover from the hurricane. [116]
  • Dallas Baptist University (Dallas, TX) - "DBU has already begun to accept transfers from Tulane and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, understanding that documentation and financial aid records may have been destroyed. DBU has waived application fees and is working to assist these students as needed and will continue to work with them in the future." For admissions information, call 217-333-5360 or 1-800-460-1328. [117]
  • Hardin-Simmons University (Abilene, TX) - Offers enrollment for displaced students affected by Hurricane Katrina. For more information, please visit HSU's Web site, or call the office of admissions at 325-670-1206 or 1-877-HO-HSUTX. [118]
  • Houston Baptist University (Houston, TX) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Since Fall classes begin on Tuesday, September 6, the University is able to assist students in meeting their immediate needs. Registration will continue through next week [September 9]. Application and late fees have been waived. All administrative offices and academic advisors will be available to work with students to address their individual needs." Limited on-campus housing and scholarship available. For information, call the university's general line at 281-649-3000. [119]
  • Howard Payne University (Brownwood, TX) - " Howard Payne University (TX) is inviting university students displaced by hurricane Katrina from William Carey College, Mobile College, Mississippi College and Louisiana College to move to Brownwood to complete the fall semester." Independent study arrangement available, to be determined on a case-by-case basis. For information, contact the school's general line at 1-800-880-4HPU. [120]
  • Lamar University (Beaumont, TX) - Lamar University is extending registration through Sept. 8 for current displaced college students. Lamar has a few rooms available in Brooks Hall, the older residence facility on campus. Jim Rush, director of academic services, (409) 880-8354. [121]
  • Midwestern State University (Wichita Falls, TX)
  • Our Lady of the Lake University (San Antonio, TX) - Accepts displaced students as a result of Hurricane Katrina. Student housing available. For more information, contact Cooper at 210-431-3961 or at 1-800-436-6558. [122]
  • Paul Quinn College (Dallas, TX) - "Paul Quinn College will enroll Dallas metroplex area students who attend Dillard and Xavier Universities. Please immediately contact Ms. Nena Richey, Director of Admissions at 1-800-237-2648, 214-302-3649, 214-302-3520, or our main number 214-376-1000." [123]
  • Rice University (Houston, TX) - Offers education for any Tulane University undergraduates from the Houston area at no additional charge. LiveJournal user your_m0m is an alum and can help. [124]
  • San Jacinto College (east Harris County, TX) -- San Jacinto College is offering in-district tuition and scholarships to residents affected by Hurricane Katrina from Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi and Alabama. More information is available by calling (281) 998-6150 or logging on to" (
  • Schreiner University (Kerrville, TX) - Schreiner opens doors to students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. "If they have already paid their fall semester tuition at their Gulf Coast home school, Schreiner expects to provide available space in classes at no out-of-pocket expense to the students and will work with the students to assure they remain eligible for federal financial aid. Currently there is some campus residence space available, too. [President] Summerlin urges that those interested must enroll immediately. Contact the Office of Admission for more information at 1-800-343-4919 or 830-792-7217 or e-mail" [125]
  • Southern Methodist University (University Park, TX) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "SMU will provide advising and enrollment assistance for North Texas area students who were displaced by Hurricane Katrina's impact on their universities. Students have through Sept. 6 to apply as a visiting student. Based on the very positive response to date, undergraduate class spaces are now extremely limited...Call 214-768-2058 for general information." [126]
  • Southwestern University (Georgetown, TX) - Southwestern is in the process of admitting displaced students from Tulane and Loyola. Students interested in temporarily transferring to Southwestern should contact the university at 512-863-6511. [127]
  • Stephen F. Austin State University (Nacogdoches, TX) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "The university has enrolled evacuating students and is providing information to others requesting assistance with a transfer. "We have a team ready to help each student individually with a seamless transfer," said Monique Cossich, executive director of enrollment management. "We have counselors in admissions, financial aid and housing on standby to get students enrolled in class as soon as possible. Because classes have already begun, the sooner we can get them here, the better." Cossich said the university is prepared to assist students who will not have access to official transcripts from institutions they have previously attended. Application and registration fees will be waived, and Louisiana residents will be charged a "greatly reduced" out-of-state tuition rate. Some limited scholarship opportunities are available that will provide students with eligibility for in-state tuition, and students originally from Texas who were attending Louisiana colleges may qualify for in-state tuition, Cossich said. The opportunity for enrollment has been extended to Sept. 13. For enrollment information, call (936) 468-2504." [128]
  • Texas A&M University (College Station, TX) - Announced that it will accept up to 1,000 students for as long as one year from any of the universities or four-year colleges unable to offer classes this fall due to Hurricane Katrina, as well as providing (to the extent possible) a temporary home for faculty to continue their research while their own campuses are unavailable. Texas A&M will make available for students from impacted schools approximately 140 campus housing assignments and provide assistance in arranging off-campus housing as needed. Office of Admissions and Records at (979) 845-1060 or by e-mail at . List of Texas A&M campuses accepting students including contact info. [129]
  • Texas Christian University (Fort Worth, TX) - "To that end, TCU is offering admission until Tuesday, September 6 to Metroplex undergraduate students previously admitted to a university severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina. I am asking that each member of the TCU community be flexible in accommodating these late arriving students and help them feel welcome. Although we are at our maximum for this year's freshman class, we feel a great sense of duty to offer this gesture of goodwill to these college students." [130] [131]
  • Texas College (Tyler, TX) - "Will provide the first semester of study without tuition or fees to students whose colleges were affected by Hurricane Katrina. Student housing will be provided and transportation can be arranged. Displaced students who want to come to Texas College should know their social security numbers to apply; registering will be simple and easy. Contact Admissions 903-593-8311 ext. 2297 or Academic Affairs at Ext. 2243." [132]
  • Texas public universities (TX statewide) - On September 1, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board authorized each Texas public institution of high education to classify displaced students as Texas residents for tuition purposes. [133]
  • Texas State University (San Marcos, TX) - Undergrad admissions: 1-866-798-2287 weekdays 8 am to 5 pm. Graduate admissions: 512-245-2581 [134]
  • Texas Tech University (Lubbock, TX) - Students currently enrolled at universities hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina will be eligible to attend fall semester classes at Texas Tech University and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. The school will open its doors and expedite enrollment processes so that students can continue with classes. Hotline (806) 742-0000. Help for graduate students, professional students, and faculty is also available. Housing will be made available. [135]
  • Texas Wesleyan University Law School (Fort Worth, TX) - will accept up to 60 law students from Loyola New Orleans and Tulane Universities. [136]
  • Trinity University (San Antonio, TX) - Displaced students may enroll in an expedited admissions process and find on-campus housing. [137]
  • University of Dallas (Irving, TX) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Offers enrollment for displaced students from Tulane and Loyola, through September 6, 2005. For information, call 1-800-628-6999. [138]
  • University of Houston (Houston, TX) - UH is accepting students and waiving fees; information for enrollment is listed on that page. [139] In addition, the Law School is accepting law students without letters of good standing. Loyola University - New Orleans will be setting up classes for all their 1L students at the University of Houston Law Center. [140]
  • University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Belton, TX) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "We will welcome all qualified undergraduate and graduate students wishing to continue pursuit of their educational goals and enroll at UMHB, and are extending a special registration through September 9. Students may contact the Office of Admissions (1-800-727-UMHB or by email at UMHB will expedite transient admission and delay billing procedures up to 30 days for those from impacted areas. Students must begin class attendance no later than September 12. Faculty and staff from impacted institutions seeking temporary or full-time opportunities for relocation and employment with UMHB should contact our Office of Human Resources at the same number or on the Internet at" [141]
  • University of North Texas (Denton, TX) - The Office of Admissions is assisting students who have been displaced by the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. Each student will be assisted on a case-by-case basis. All interested students should contact the Office of Admissions as soon as possible at 800/UNT-8211 or 940/565-2681. [142]
  • University of Texas System (TX statewide) [143] See below for specific campuses; also campuses in Arlington, Brownsville, San Antonio, and Tyler.
    • University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) - Undergraduate students who are Texas residents or graduates from Texas high schools will be eligible to take available undergraduate courses at the University for the fall 2005 semester. Graduate and professional students who are Texas residents or graduates of Texas colleges and universities will be eligible to take available graduate courses at the University for the fall 2005 semester. Graduate students who have no need for coursework but who need to use libraries and research facilities will be eligible to use appropriate University facilities. Foreign exchange students will be eligible to take available courses at the University for the fall 2005 semester if the University has a formal exchange agreement with the students' home institutions. LiveJournal user katherinemorrow is a graduate student at UT and can help. [144]
    • UT Dallas (Dallas, TX) - UTD will continue to admit students affected by the hurricane through next Friday, Sept. 9. The admissions process will be expedited and they will be escorted to Undergraduate Advising or the appropriate graduate division, where they will receive personal attention. The application fee will be waived, and no other documents are required. However, high school or college transcripts and/or letters of acceptance to affected institutions are helpful. Students who are admitted to UTD will be charged in-state tuition. UTD is also hosting the Tulane University website on its servers – providing a continued web presence for the university in conveying essential information to faculty, staff, students, parents and alumni there. [145]
    • UTEP (El Paso, TX) - Students have until Sept. 8 to enroll at UTEP. [146]
    • UT Pan American (Edinburg, TX) - UTPA is ready and willing to accept students from Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama on an emergency basis. This invitation is open to students who were enrolling or were enrolled in colleges and universities in the area of greatest disaster impact and are likely to remain closed for an extended period. These emergency measures are temporary. Students will be accepted only for the fall semester if they contact us by Friday, Sept. 9, 2005. Interested students should contact Dr. Maggie Williams, dean of Admissions and Enrollment Services, 956/381-2482 or Dr. George Avellano, dean of the Graduate School and associate vice president for Academic Affairs, 956/381-3661. Students need to advise us that they are from the affected schools and are seeking admission due to the emergency situation at their current campus." [147]
    • UT Permian Basin (Odessa, TX) - Registration will continue to be extended for students affected by the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. [148]
  • University of the Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "UIW is making every effort to expedite the admission process and waive the related fees. Financial aid counseling has also been made available to these students. UIW is prepared to enroll students in the traditional day program until Wednesday, Sept. 7. The School of Extended Studies is able to accommodate students after Sept. 7 through the accelerated evening program and the online program." For information, call 210-829-6005. [149]


  • University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) - "Utah residents attending institutions of higher education in areas affected by Hurricane Katrina may be eligible for emergency admission to the University of Utah." For more information, contact Stayner Landward or Annie Nebeker at the Office of the Dean of Students, or at 801-581-7066. [150]
  • Westminster College (Salt Lake City, UT) - "Westminster College has joined several other colleges around the country in offering to accept students from Gulf Coast colleges which have been destroyed by the hurricane. President Michael Bassis says there are apparently around 100-thousand southern college students without schools right now. New Orleans alone has nine colleges. Bassis says displaced students will be admitted as visiting students and he believes most of their costs will be covered by the federal Department of Education. Any classes they take at Westminster will be transferable to their original colleges." Contact the admissions office at 1-800-748-4753. [151]


  • Bennington College (Bennington, VT) - Fall special enrollment deadline passed. Spring applications available. "Applications are being accepted through Thursday, September 15, 2005, for the fall term; applications for spring term are due by November 15, 2005. Application fee is being waived. Undergraduate students should contact Ken Himmelman, Dean of Admissions, by calling 800-833-6845, or emailing or faxing 802-440-4320, or mailing to Bennington College, One College Drive, Bennington, Vermont 05201." Limited on-campus housing available. [152]
  • Champlain College (Burlington, VT) - "Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont, announced that it will extend its online and on-campus offerings to undergraduate students who cannot attend college this semester due to the destruction of Hurricane Katrina." No tuition will be charged for students who have already paid at their home institution. For information, contact the admissions office at 1-800-570-5858 for on-campus courses, and 1-888-545-3459 for online courses (deadline: September 9, 2005). [153]
  • Green Mountain College (Poultney, VT) - "Green Mountain College in Poultney, Vermont will accept two or three faculty, in addition to up to 20 students from New England, New York or Pennsylvania, who were affected by the hurricane. The professors would help teach displaced students at the college for the fall semester, which began August 30." For information, contact Anne Lundquist at 1-802-287-8377 or at [154]
  • Johnson State College (Johnson, VT) - We can help cover most/all expenses to relocate/enroll/support qualified and interested students immediately for 5-10 students. We are a small rural campus. Strong music, arts, science programs. Also offers Outdoor Education and the Health and Wellness programs. This campus specializes in teacher certification, so many students are training to be teachers. Admissions: 337 College Hill, Johnson, VT 05656. Phone: 800-635-2356 [155]
  • Marlboro College (Marlboro, VT) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Offers admission to students enrolled in accredited four-year institutions in affected areas at same tuition and fees as their home institutions. "To apply, students should send a letter via email or fax to Alan Young, Dean of Enrollment and Financial Aid expressing their interest in attending Marlboro College. The letter should identify the student's home institution, and include current grade level, academic interests and a list of classes the student was enrolled in. The application deadline is September 12, with an enrollment deadline of September 15. Applications should be emailed to Alan Young at or faxed to the Admissions Office at (802) 451-7555. For questions, please call Kirsten Camp at 802-258-9236." [156]
  • Middlebury College (Middlebury, VT) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Offers enrollment to qualified undergraduate students studying at affected colleges and universities. The deadline for applications is September 8, and applicants will be notified of a decision on September 9. [157]
  • School for International Training (Brattleboro, VT) "We would be willing to accept a modest number of international faculty and/or graduate students at our facility in Brattleboro, Vermont." [158]
  • University of Vermont (Burlington, VT) - "We are also dealing with students seeking to transfer into the University from affected areas. Although the University is at record enrollment, we are making every effort to accommodate the needs of each student as best we can and are dealing with each case individually. We are especially committed to serving the needs of Vermont residents whose educational plans have been disrupted. We are asking that all inquiries received by University faculty and staff from students displaced by the hurricane and seeking to enroll at UVM be directed to Associate Director of Admissions Sally Hobart. Sally can be reached at 656-4645 or by e-mail at" [159]
  • Vermont Law School (South Royalton, VT) - "Vermont Law School (VT) is waiving fall semester tuition for up to ten law students from the gulf region. VLS is currently in discussion with three Tulane Law School (New Orleans) students, including one second year, J.D. program student, and two LL.M. (post J.D. program) students. Numerous members of the VLS community, including faculty, staff, and students, have offered temporary, free housing and other necessities to law students from the gulf region. VLS is working with other Vermont institutions to arrange more permanent housing, if it is needed, and with the U.S. Department to provide financial aid assistance for the students." For more information, visit the school's Web site. [160]


  • College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "In response to the national emergency, the College of William and Mary will admit for the current semester academically-qualified Virginia students enrolled at Gulf Coast universities closed for the term by Hurricane Katrina...This offer extends to any Virginia student from universities in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama whose operations have been terminated for the semester as a result of Katrina.” Nichol went on to explain that academically-qualified Virginians will be admitted as visiting, non-degree students, and that the college will do everything possible to ease their transition. Because William and Mary classes have been in session for a week, the college has established a Wednesday, September 7 deadline for contacting the college admission office. Qualified students can start classes immediately, and all students should plan to be in class by Monday, September 12." LiveJournal user marynanabananas can help. [161]
  • George Mason University (Fairfax, VA and DC area) - George Mason is accepting and processing applications from Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.-area undergraduate students whose institutions in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi are unable to open because of damage caused by Hurricane Katrina. Because of the unique circumstances, Mason will allow students to apply with minimal paperwork and no fee, even though Mason’s fall enrollment is higher than expected and the semester is already under way. Students may withdraw from Mason to return to their initial institutions with no academic or financial impact if their home institution is able to open for the fall semester. Proof of registration at the original institution will need to be provided, and the opportunity is open only to students affected by the disaster. [162]
  • Hollins University (Roanoke, VA) - "Hollins University has announced that it is welcoming applications from women enrolled at colleges or universities that are unable to open due to the impact of Hurricane Katrina. These students will be able to attend Hollins tuition-free for one semester and will be obligated to pay only room and board during that time." For more information, contact the admissions office at 540-362-6401 or 1-800-456-9595. [163]
  • Longwood University (Farmville, VA) - "Longwood University officials have offered to provide free tuition, fees and meals to college students who were displaced by Hurricane Katrina. According to Wayne McWee, vice president for academic affairs, "We'll be glad to help in any way we can and we can handle at least 25 students. We'll provide them with free tuition and fees and give them free meals for the semester. We are also planning to offer online courses for any of those affected students. If students decide to come here, we will work with them in finding local accommodations near campus." Longwood University will work out the financial arrangements for any students who are interested in attending the university. Bob Chonko, dean of enrollment management, and his admissions staff are ready to help. Interested students should contact the admissions office at 1.800.281.4677." [164]
  • Lynchburg College (Lynchburg, VA) - Lynchburg College is accepting, tuition-free for the fall semester, undergraduate students dislocated from colleges and universities in the area devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Students who wish to reside on campus will only be charged for room, board, and fees which total approximately $3,400 for the semester. Accommodations for 36 students are available on campus in the residence halls. Additional students may live off campus in nearby apartment complexes. In order to expedite the admissions process a streamlined application is being offered to students who can start classes as soon as they arrive on campus. The College is waiving its normal one semester tuition charge of $11,850...For further information, impacted students and parents may contact the Office of Enrollment Services at 434/544-8300 or 1-800-426-8101 ext. 8300. [165]
  • Mary Baldwin College (Staunton, VA) - "We are also offering to accommodate any students enrolled at colleges or universities forced to close due to storm damage who wish to continue their education here." - [166]
  • Marymount University (Arlington, VA) - " Marymount University invites local students displaced by Hurricane Katrina to contact the Admissions Office to discuss enrollment until their colleges are able to reopen. The University will work with students individually to facilitate a smooth transition and will strive to place each in courses comparable to those at the home institution. For Undergraduate Admissions, call 703-284-1500. For Graduate Admissions, call 703-284-5902. The toll-free number is 800-548-7638." [167]
  • Randolph-Macon College (Ashland, VA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Randolph-Macon College is offering free tuition and room for the 2005 fall semester to students who have this need. The college also has created additional residential spaces for these students if they need to live on campus. Randolph-Macon College opens later than many other universities; classes begin Monday, Sept. 5 and enrollments will be accepted until Friday, Sept. 9. [168]
  • Randolph-Macon Woman's College (Lynchburg, VA) - Randolph-Macon Woman's College will guarantee admission, provide a 50% discount on tuition, and free on-campus room and board for the 2005-06 academic year to female students who attend one of the 4-year accredited institutions in the affected area. [169]
  • Roanake College (Salem, VA) - Cabinet decided to offer admission to students from Southwest Virginia who had planned to attend colleges in the areas affected by the Hurricane. If you know of families for whom this offer would be helpful, please direct them to our Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, Mike Maxey. [170]
  • Sweet Briar College (Sweet Briar, VA) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. "Sweet Briar College will enroll eligible female undergraduate students displaced by the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina for the 2005 fall semester tuition-free." Limited housing available. Enrollment through September 9, 2005. For more information, call 1-800-381-6142 or e-mail or [171]
  • University of Richmond (Richmond, VA) - Offers enrollment of up to 20 displaced students, tuition-free for the fall semester. In addition, the university is also accepting displaced law students. For more information, contact admissions at 1-800-700-1662. Law students, call 804-289-8189. [172]
  • University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) - “We are prepared to allow Virginia students whose New Orleans-area colleges will not open this fall because of the hurricane to enroll here as visiting students for the fall semester." He said it was U.Va.’s intention also to assist students whose programs were not compatible with the University’s to find them places in Virginia’s Community College System or other state institutions. Piedmont Virginia Community College in Charlottesville has been involved in planning this effort. In addition, U.Va. is working with the American Association of Universities in Washington, D.C., and the American Council on Education on other steps that may be taken to assist students while their home colleges are closed...U.Va. can provide housing for about 100 of these students immediately, and can accommodate them in a University meal plan." [173]
  • Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA) - "Students from any of the affected Gulf Coast colleges and universities are encouraged to contact VCU's Offices of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions as well as the MCV Campus professional schools. Information can be received at 804-828-8940." [174]
  • Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA) - Offers enrollment to undergraduate and graduate students studying at affected universities. Prospective students must notify the admissions office by Wednesday, September 7, at 5 p.m. An expanded online course selection is expected to be available. Some positions for affected faculty may also be available. The university residence halls have a very limited number of on-campus spaces available, but many off-campus apartment complexes have vacancies and are willing to offer special arrangements to students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Undergraduate students interested should immediately contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, (540) 231-6267 or and complete an application at Graduate students should contact the Graduate School, (540) 231-7581. [175]
  • Washigton and Lee University School of Law (Lexington, VA) - School of Law to Enroll Up to 15 Students from Tulane and Loyola Law Schools: As the extent of the devastating conditions in New Orleans becomes apparent, Washington and Lee University has taken immediate action to offer assistance. The School of Law has extended visiting-student status to displaced Tulane and Loyola law students for the fall semester. These institutions have been devastated by the effects of Hurricane Katrina and are closed until further notice. [176]


  • Eastern Washington University (Cheney, WA) - Eastern Washington University welcomes undergraduate and graduate students who are registered at affected institutions in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. We will strive to accommodate visiting students in a comparable program at Eastern and to coordinate admissions, enrollment, financial aid and housing for as smooth a transition as possible. We will address long-term enrollment needs on an individual basis as the quarter proceeds. For more information, students should contact EWU Enrollment Services at (509) 359-6352 or e-mail [177]
  • Independent Colleges of Washington (WA statewide) - Contact information for displaced students seeking enrollment with any of the Independent Colleges of Washington is as follows: [178]
    • Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA) - Public Relations: Dale Goodwin, 509-323-6133,
    • Heritage University (Toppenish, WA) - Public Relations: Meghan Soptich, 509-865-8588,
    • Pacific Lutheran University (Tacoma, WA) - "Admission Information: Karl Stumo, Dean of Admission and Financial Aid, 253-535-7151. News and Information, Katherine Hansen, Director, 253-535-7427." [179]
    • Saint Martin's University (Lacey, WA) - "We will provide students displaced by the storm and its horrible aftermath with immediate admission to Saint Martin's, financial aid, academic tutoring, and housing on or near our campus for one semester or, should it prove necessary, for the full academic year. Displaced students interested in coming to Saint Martin’s should contact Melanie Richards, dean of students, as soon as possible. She can be reached at (360) 438-4367;" [180]
    • Seattle Pacific University (Seattle, WA) - "Media relations: Tracy Norlen, 206-281-2977 or Admission: Jennifer Kenney, undergraduate admissions director, at or 1-800-366-3344 or 206-281-2021." [181]
    • Seattle University (Seattle, WA) - " Communications: Barbara Nombalais, 206-296-2555 or Admissions: 206-296-2000 or 1-800-426-7123 or" [182]
    • University of Puget Sound (Tacoma, WA) - "Media relations: Melissa Rohlfs, 253-879-2611 or Office of admissions: 1-800-396-7191" [183]
    • Walla Walla College (College Place, WA) - Communications: Rosa Jimenez, 509-527-2363 or
    • Whitman College (Walla Walla, WA) - Media relations: Lenel Parish, 509-527-5156 or
    • Whitworth College (Spokane, WA) - "Kathy Storm, vice president for student life, 509-777-3271 or Greg Orwig, director of communications, 509-777-4580 or" [184]
  • Seattle University (Seattle, WA) - "Seattle University in conjunction with Jesuit sister colleges and universities, is accepting students enrolled in three universities impacted by Hurricane Katrina: Loyola of New Orleans, Tulane University and Xavier of Louisiana. Students are being admitted based upon the university's classroom capacity and ability to meet the student's curricular and housing needs. The students will be enrolled as visiting, non-matriculated, students and will return to their home institutions when their home institutions reopen. "We've had more than 50 inquiries and have already admitted 41 visiting students for fall quarter, which begins September 21," said Jim White, interim director of Enrollment Services. Those admitted include law students, and undergraduates studying engineering, arts and sciences. Students needing further information may download relevant guidelines, procedures, and forms (PDF document), contact Admissions at (206) 296-2000 or (800) 426-7123, or email the Admissions office at" [185][186]
  • Trinity Lutheran College (Issaquah, WA) - Offers one year free tuition to up to 25 displaced college students. Room and board accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For more information, contact Ryan Edmondson at 1-800-843-5659. [187]
  • University of Washington (Seattle, WA) - "In the case of the University of Washington, we expect inquiries from perhaps 50-100 students attending universities in New Orleans, most particularly Tulane University. We will welcome these students to temporarily continue their studies at UW for as long as it takes for Tulane to reopen. Our plan is to accommodate students in a program comparable to the one in which they were enrolled and to have the tuition revenues that would normally go to Tulane continue to be directed to that institution...Several fine professional and graduate schools in New Orleans have also been affected by the storm. Deans from around the country are accepting students into their classes. In particular, medical school deans are participating in an emergency conference through NIH to determine how best to assist these medical centers in this time of critical need. We are also working through University Libraries with colleagues at Tulane and its neighboring institutions on plans to preserve their library holdings. Without electricity and adequate climate control, library holdings may be at risk, and our librarians and others around the country are working to address this issue." [188] MySpace user offering help with settling in Seattle [189]
  • Washington State University (Pullman, WA) - Offers enrollment to Washington residents studying at affected universities. LiveJournal user subtext is a current student and is willing to help. [190]
  • Whitman College (Walla Walla, WA) will offer admission to 10 displaced students at no tuition cost for the fall semester. [191]
  • Whitworth College (Spokane, WA) will offer free tuition to students enrolled in colleges and universities shuttered by the effects of Hurricane Katrina. The college can accommodate up to 10 students who have registered for classes and made arrangements for payment at their home institutions. Eligible students will be able to enroll in Whitworth courses on a space-available basis and transfer the credits to their home institutions when they are operational. For assistance, contact Kathy Storm, vice president for student life, (509) 777-3271 or and/or Greg Orwig, director of communications, (509) 777-4580 or [192]

West Virginia

  • University of Charleston (Charleston, WV) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Accepts displaced students to study and live on campus. For more information, contact admissions at 1-800-995-GOUC (4682) before September 8, 2005. [193]
  • West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV) - Students who are interested in possible transfer should call Marilyn Potts in Admissions at 304-293-2124 ext 1513 or e-mail [194]
  • Wheeling Jesuit University (Wheeling, WV) - "Wheeling Jesuit University has determined that it can accommodate an additional 30 men and 30 women with our current staff and space resources." Offers of enrollment are for displaced students previously enrolled in Loyola University. For information, call the university's general line at 1-800-624-6992. [195]


  • Beloit College (Beloit, WI) is offering spots to students in good standing at affected universities; more information can be found by contacting the admissions office. [196]
  • Cardinal Stritch University (Milwaukee, WI) - "Cardinal Stritch University, in Milwaukee, is opening its arms and its doors to college and university students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. The University is offering individualized attention to any student who wants to continue his or her education while the south continues to clean up after Katrina's devastation. To get help, students should call (414) 410-4055." Defer tuition, 55 free residence room available. [197]
  • Marquette University is admitting over 80 students from Loyola University New Orleans, Tulane University, Dillard University and Xavier University New Orleans. Marquette students, faculty, staff and alumni have offered space in their homes for those incoming students who for whatever reason cannot live in residence halls.[198]
  • Milwaukee School of Engineering (Milwaukee, WI) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Offers admission to displaces students as a result of Hurricane Katrina, through September 9, 2005. Tuition will be reduced by one-third. For more information, contact Admissions and ask for Paul Borens at 414-277-7200 or at, Amy Graf at, or Jen Haro at For housing information, contact Bill Breese at 414-227-7401 or at (on-campus), and Rick Gagliano at 414-227-7228 or at Alternate phone number for enrollment: 1-800-332-6763. [199]
  • National-Louis University (Milwaukee, WI and other campuses in IL) - "National-Louis University (IL) will admit any student already enrolled in an accredited university, college or community college within the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina and subsequent flooding." Up to 30 beds available in student dormitory. National-Louis has campuses in Chicago, Evanston, Lisle, Elgin, Wheeling, and Beloit and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The offer also extends to classes at the university’s Florida and Washington, D.C. campuses. For more information, visit the school's Web site. [200]
  • Ottawa University - "Ottawa University (KS)(AZ)(WI)(IN), with a residential campus in Ottawa, Kansas, and adult campuses in Overland Park, Kansas; Phoenix, Mesa, and Tempe, Arizona; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Jeffersonville, Indiana, will accept students who have been relocated by Hurricane Katrina. All OU locations are offering a tuition waiver for the first term to assist traditional age and adult students with their academic needs." Contact Susan Backofen at or 1-800-755-5200 ext. 1044 for more information. [201]
  • University of Wisconsin System (WI statewide) [202]
    • University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) - Wisconsin residents who are freshmen at another institution (closed by storm damage) who had been previously accepted to UW-Madison... would be enrolled as a UW-Madison undergraduate. Wisconsin upperclassmen and freshman not previously admitted and attending another institution closed by hurricane damage... will be able to continue their education through the UW-Madison Division of Continuing Studies. UW-Madison is working with other higher education associations such as the Association of American Universities (AAU) and the Committee for Institutional Cooperation (CIC) to facilitate options for non-resident students from closed institutions in the affected areas. Wisconsin Law is also taking students from the J.D. programs at Loyola and Tulane. Students need to enroll as soon as possible, with a final deadline of Sept. 23. Tom Reason in the Office of Admissions at (608) 262-3961, or . LiveJournal user sarahliz is an alum and can help out. [203]
    • University of Wisconsin-La Crosse (La Crosse, WI) - UW-L will assist students affected by Hurricane Katrina with admission and help them register for classes. Additional services are available to assist with the transition to our campus. For more information, please contact Diane Schumacher, Executive Director, Enrollment Services, at or (608)785-8953. For more information, visit our Hurricane Katrina response Web site at [204]
    • University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (Oshkosh, WI) - Indicated special enrollment deadline passed. Contact school directly for information. Students attending universities closed by Hurricane Katrina are guaranteed admission and a residence hall room at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. Those interested can come to the UW-Oshkosh admissions office between 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2, or from 10 a.m. to noon on Monday, Sept. 5, for information. Those unable to come to the university may call (920) 424-0202...UW-Oshkosh has hardship funding to cover the out-of-state portion of the tuition for up to 12 students displaced by the storm, said Admissions Director Jill Endries. Students enrolled in universities closed by the hurricane are asked only to bring their fall class schedule and any other information about their academic history to the admissions office. Advisers will work with those who can’t get their materials. [205]
  • Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WI statewide) - "All 20 members of the Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU) are opening their doors and their hearts to the students whose education has been disrupted by Hurricane Katrina. Enrollment will be worked out between the individual colleges and the students, but as an example, one of the WAICU institutions will accept any student who was accepted at one of the affected schools under the same tuition and financial aid terms. Housing, advising, and orientation will be arranged, even though students may be starting a few weeks into the semester. This offer is being made without regard to Wisconsin residence, race, creed, or religion." For more information, visit the WAICU Web site at [206]


  • University of Wyoming (Laramie, WY) - "UW welcomes inquiries from students enrolled at colleges and universities whose operations have been interrupted by Hurricane Katrina. Although our fall semester is already under way, in a limited number of cases we may be able to accommodate students who wish to pursue studies at UW this semester." For more information, contact the office of admissions at or at 307-766-5160 or 1-800-DIAL-WYO. [207]