Comments:Satanism: An interview with Church of Satan High Priest Peter Gilmore
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
- 1 Top Notch Article!
- 2 Great article
- 3 Great line...
- 4 I just want to point out....
- 5 Excellent interview!
- 6 He says that anyone who believes in a supernatural being is insane.
- 7 One Reservation
- 8 Where did this article go?
- 9 Satanism
- 10 Church of Satan
- 11 Church of Satan
- 12 About why it's called SATANism
- 13 great!
- 14 Very nice interview.
- 15 no belief in hell
- 16 good
- 17 nice
- 18 comment
- 19 In my opinion
- 20 The age Limit
- 21 Ignorance
- 22 Wow
- 23 Agreed with most of the interview
- 24 good interview
- 25 david3718
- 26 you didn't mention saficing? why?
- 27 you are the lier...
- 28 you must believe in god..........
- 29 GOD IS OUR SAVIOUR.......
- 30 Creation of the devil
- 31 The LaVey Family - The First Family of Satanism
- 32 WHAT - Diane was never someone who wrote or said anything of interest? - I 100% Disagree!
- 33 Great interview
- 34 Good News.
- 35 Peter Gilmore, please just use your head a bit?
- 38 church of satan
- 39 Comments from feedback form - "very good interview"
- 40 Comments from feedback form - "want to no more"
- 41 Comments from feedback form - "SHAME ON YOU TO PUBLISH ABOUT ..."
- 42 Comments from feedback form - "Good"
- 43 Setting a great example
- 44 Comments from feedback form - "сатана гондон с маленькой букв..."
- 45 Comments from feedback form - "stars of the satanic church"
- 46 Comments from feedback form - "Great article!"
- 47 Comments from feedback form - "ии"
- 48 Great Read!
- 49 Comments from feedback form - "the world of satans and the mo..."
- 50 Contradicting flaws with this thinking.
- 51 Comments from feedback form - "Well, I think it's an excellen..."
- 52 Comments from feedback form - "i would like to know how you b..."
- 53 Comments from feedback form - "I want to know what is it abou..."
- 54 Comments from feedback form - "satan ,will never rule the ear..."
- 55 Comments from feedback form - "Amaizing, simple like that."
- 56 Comments from feedback form - "its ok"
- 57 Comments from feedback form - "WE have only one God and Jesus..."
- 58 Comments from feedback form - "I'm doing a research paper for..."
- 59 Comments from feedback form - "This article is very interesti..."
- 60 Comments from feedback form - "this thing should not be on ne..."
- 61 Comments from feedback form - "please peter tell me what ehab..."
- 62 Comments from feedback form - "Well, since i't's an interview..."
- 63 Comments from feedback form - "great stuff"
- 64 Change the name of ur church
- 65 Change the name of ur church
- 66 Change the name of ur church
- 67 Comments from feedback form - "stop and join JESUS"
- 68 Comments from feedback form - "hello"
- 69 Comments from feedback form - "i think anyone in this church ..."
- 70 Interesting Philosophy: hypocritical name
- 71 Comments from feedback form - "Its good enough. But needs mor..."
- 72 Comments from feedback form - "a plus"
- 73 great interview
- 74 Comments from feedback form - "this is evil n evil will surly..."
- 75 Comments from feedback form - "would love to become a member...."
- 76 Comments from feedback form - "ineed more information frm u p..."
- 77 Comments from feedback form - "Amazing!"
- 78 Comments from feedback form - "u just dont kno who your god i..."
- 79 Comments from feedback form - ""My real feeling is that anybo..."
- 80 Comments from feedback form - "I say go alittle deeper."
- 81 Comments from feedback form - "Jesus is coming soon, his rewa..."
- 82 Comments from feedback form - "May God have mercy on your sou..."
- 83 Comments from feedback form - "i want to one of this chruch"
- 84 Comments from feedback form - "GREAT "
- 85 Comments from feedback form - "holy fire arrest all of u,ad i..."
- 86 Jesus loves you all and died for you.....
- 87 Comments from feedback form - "pls i just need money and i ca..."
- 88 Peter Pan Gilmore...
- 89 Comments from feedback form - "Very thankful that everyday pe..."
- 90 Comments from feedback form - "i lawrence,i what to be a memb..."
- 91 Comments from feedback form - "to me i will like to be member..."
- 92 Comments from feedback form - "Is male circumcision required?..."
- 93 GILMORE HIM SELF
- 94 He's not a satanist
- 95 The interviewer, more a satanic himself
- 96 Protest
- 97 question
- 98 This is why it is called Satanism...
He looks like LeVey, is there a rule in the church the High Priest must look like LeVey? ;) --TUFKAAP 05:05, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
- My favorite is the Poseidon beard. --David Shankbone 13:06, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
Top Notch Article!
While I think calling the whole thing "Satanist" is a bit of a misnomer and probably not 'good for business' as it where, the article is excellently written; while you can tell at points that the guy may have his own agenda, but at least he's someone you could take for coffee and get a kick out of.
- I like to report on subjects people think they know a lot about, but don't. The ACLU article was one example (people are just certain they fight to keep religion out of the public sphere, whereas the opposite is true); this is another. The percentage of self-described Satanists who actually worship the devil is so small that they are barely a minority within that religion. The Church of Satan is the one Marilyn Manson belongs to and was founded by The Satanic Bible author Anton LaVey. Although they use a lot of the occultism imagery and allusions, I imagine marketing has a lot to do with it. Almost any non-Evangelical would not find this church's beliefs a threat (either philosophically or on a child-sacrifice level). --David Shankbone 13:05, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
I had always thought Satanism was about worshipping Satan, and here that's only Theistic Satanists. What a wonderfully confusing world we live in. -- Zanimum 15:02, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
Satanism is clearly about worshipping Satan...a major PR problem for them....along with their name Church of Satan! Why don't these self proclaimed non religious atheists change their name one mights ask to something that would make better PR? Why publish books that use the word bible and scriptures and call their leaders priests and adopt pentagrams and goats heads as their emblems if they don't want to be identified as worshipers of a satanic 'god'. They are no doubt what they appear to be. If it eats grass and moos its more likely a cow than a sheep_____15:55, 14 June 2009 (UTC)
"We don’t think they are Satanists. They are devil worshipers..." ROTFLMAO. I guess it's not just Christians who can come up with these sorts of fine-grained distinctions! 22.214.171.124 18:46, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
I just want to point out....
I am a Satanist and member of the COS, I would like to point out that although Mr. Gilmore is the acting HP and has a grasp on the philosophy he does not represent the views of all Satanists.
It should be noted that Satanism is individualistic, and we will not always agree on all points. HP Gilmore has his opinions and views, and they are his own. I have mine as well. I believe that Satanism can start with both Atheism and Strong Agnosticism. "GOD" is a word, it is what the word implies, it does not always equate to the Biblical GOD. Strong Agnosticism is the acknowledgment that there is no absolute knowledge of the existence of GOD. I take an Agnostic stance on quite a few topics, and I believe that absolute knowledge would be monstrous. Why? It would be the final word on a topic and people would cease to explore, do their own research, examine their experiences and draw their own conclusions.
Some would say that embracing an Agnostic view changes the Satanic paradigm. I disagree. I live my life in alignment with modern Satanism; and we will not always agree or interpret the 'meaning' the same way. I stand as opposer to the claim that Satanism is exclusively atheistic.
SIN 20:14, 5 November 2007 (UTC) SIN
William R. Nemet III
Registered Member of The Church of Satan
He says that anyone who believes in a supernatural being is insane.
I like that he admitted to the rationality of Deism. So he's not dismissing God belief as irrational, just the belief there is a personal god that intervenes and is like some despotic sky-parent. I like that he gives Deism it's fair respect as a rational view, since I tend towards Agnostic-Deism.- Iconoclastithon. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 19:06, 30 October 2008 (UTC)
i really lost my respect for him once i read that he thinks anyone that believes in a supernatural being is insane. he tells me i'm my own God. Then in the next sentence has the nerve to tell me that i might do something good or evil. I'm God, don't you dare tell me i'm evil. Right?
- I don't see the disconnect. He defined evil as something that is harmful to you. He also says a person is their own God and must take responsibility for him or herself. So, if someone becomes a drug addict, they are doing evil to him or herself. He's not saying that each person is a God who can can do no wrong. He actually explicitly states the opposite. --David Shankbone 23:33, 6 November 2007 (UTC)
Come on..to say people are insane for believing in God? Really now. Unless he is changing the common definition of the word. I'm sure there has been plenty of great thinkers over time that have believed and not believed in God. I would never to presume either groups to be insane.
Let's suppose that if we follow his - what is harmful to one's self is evil - philosophy, I would like to offer the possibilty that by seriously believing that, there is no God, or Devil, and no one cares, especially the part that no one cares, may be very harmful to a person's well-being. Which in turn would make his "Satanism", evil.
- I wouldn't read too much into his "insanity" hyperbole. The difference with your example is that you are applying your own values to another person, as opposed to only yourself. Isn't that what we criticize "Islamofascists" for? Gilmore's beliefs are that these things are self-defined and self-referential. You are deciding for others in your example. Gilmore, in the interview, would consider such thinking the ultimate threat to humanity: fundamentalism. --David Shankbone 02:25, 7 November 2007 (UTC)
In our post-modern society where scientific knowledge is so easily achieved- I do find it quite insane to believe in such an obsolete fantasy as the "all mighty God". But if I'm to be philosophically correct here, I would actually say that it is very much normal for humans to be a herd animal, and indeed- most people would be devastated if they had to take FULL responsibility over their lives. But does "normal" necessarily mean "sane"? I actually think that the vast majority of people these days are emotionally sick in one way or another. And why wouldn't they be if they pursue ideals imposed on them by un-personal entities (that includes the media, and not just the church)..?
As to the question of "not believing in God might be evil if it means pain to one's self"- take in mind that a "Satanic Sin" is "self deceit". So even if a person did decide that believing in God is a good idea for him, he would still be un-Satanic for deceiving himself into belief… but anyhow, how can one know his belief is subjective and yet continue to maintain it?--The Lightning 22:10, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
You speak of scientific "knowledge". A large part of science is taken as fact when in truth it is only theories. A deeper inspection of the makeup of the universe of what is visible and can be comprehended makes a person stop and think: "This universe is so mind boggling and fills one's self with such awe: the "intelligence" of all thing's "design", yes design. Think out of the box. We are part of something so beyond anyone's comprehension. Don't look at science like it has the answer to all questions. There is mystery in the universe. Don't try to put the ocean in a bottle. Satanism is just a charade. Take one look at their website and ask what happened these people. The idea of creating a synthesis from an idea they don't really believe and make it into something they can play with. It is quite preposterous. You speak of the craziness of an almighty God. For sure there is something going on in this universe so mighty, and I'd like to put a name to it, and thank it or him or her, but I can assure you Satan won't be the name. I feel fortunate to have a decent life amidst all of the imperfections of every degree in our human race, including myself. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 19:18, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
- I realize it makes you feel good to think there is some sort of alpha-force guarding you and leading you. It gives you a sense of comfort and meaning. Most human beings NEED to be lead, otherwise they feel lost.
- All human beings have an archetype (as C. G. Jung and Desmond Morris both point out) of some sort of domineering fatherly authority. In my case, I self-fulfill that archetype, rather than make up an transcendental being I can worship.
- Indeed science doesn’t solve everything, and this universe largely remains a fantastic mystery- but the concept of God, as an invisible conscious being floating around in the sky and watching us, is just ridiculous. You might as well believe in Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. It defies logic. (and if you'll now say "it transcends logic", so I'll have to tell you that in that case you'll have to agree that nothing can be proved or disproved- and therefor nothing is real).
- There is a design behind things- made by evolution, by natural selection. And there might be some kind of life-force moving things, but it certainly doesn't have a consciousness, and it really doesn't give a shit about us, or anything else.
- By the way, as a Satanist, I must say I LOVE my life, it's fun, it's interesting, it's full of love and passion. I'm more emotionally healthy than most people I know.--The Lightning 12:52, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
- Your whole life you live in a world that is completely logical, yet you have faith that a completely illogical thing exists. It baffles the mind. I agree with Gilmore; anyone who has absolute faith in something supernatural--that they can't possibly have evidence for-- is insane on some level. See: [True-believer syndrome]
Truly impressive interview. Reading through these, it's clear that wikinews has come a long way, mostly thanks to a select group of core contributors such as yourself. My reservation with this particular interview is that, IMO, it's missing a fundamental question: Why Satanism? Why a "Church"? I'm an atheist, and have been for quite some time, and our views, verbatim, seem to pretty much coincide -- mainly because the direction of the interview seemed to be in the dispelling of misconceptions about satanism (excellent job, by the way.) I've been aware of the Church of Satan several years, and I've often wondered why anyone with such views would create, submit, or otherwise partake in yet another form of hierarchical sect. I would have really liked to have seen this aspect explored. I digress, however. Great job once again, sir. -Etafly 04:41, 7 November 2007 (UTC)
- Indeed, that's an excellent point and one that did not occur to me. I perhaps assumed that it's the human instinct to join with like-minded folks in a group or organization, complete with manifesto (be it the Communist Manifesto, The Bible or The Satanic Bible). I nosed around that issue under the "On the church after Anton LaVey" section when I brought up that, "It would seem there are pagans or humanist religions that follow your general philosophy." But the need to be part of a group I didn't touch upon and that would have been a great question to ask. --David Shankbone 14:40, 7 November 2007 (UTC)
Sounds very peculiar to me. Why is it called satanism? Sounds like evil.
- I agreed that the Humanist philosophies closely resembled what Gilmore was putting forward here. Maybe not Paganism, both for his reasons, and because pagans are commonly spiritual.
Where did this article go?
What a great interview perishes with this blanked page! Someone bring this back up, please!
Satanism is a very confusing word. Jaime Saldarriaga
Church of Satan
I understand Church of Satan doesn´t believe in Devil. So the name Church of Satan sounds to me misleading. Why not changing that name?
Church of Satan
I understand Church of Satan doesn´t believe in Devil. So the name Church of Satan sounds to me misleading. Why not changing that name?.Jaime Saldarriaga 11:49, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
- I guess because the word "Satan" does not only mean The Devil, it only does to religious people and they perhaps don't wish to define themselves through the eyes of the religious. --David Shankbone 13:56, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
The answer to this question is found in a very coherent and well-thought out manner in the Satanic Bible. I suggest you check it out. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 01:29, 24 November 2007 (UTC)
About why it's called SATANism
First of all- religion is Show Business. And the Devil is one hell [pun not intended] of a celebrity- he can spook people up so easily: just mention his name and you've got 'em triggered. It's a good name since it has the oodo-vodo affect.
I think that another large part of it [the name] is about testing the public- which individuals won't be afraid to explore the unpopular, the strange, the different? Most people are too worried about how they'd be accepted by society if they won't act like everyone else. Those people really do not have a place within Satanism- society is their god, not themselves.
And finally- people tend to have another misconception about Satanism- they think the Church of Satan wants to be popular. It has no interest in attracting hysterics who can't handle the provocative symbol. Religion should be fun, and that's what Satanism is. --The Lightning 22:58, 9 November 2007 (UTC)
i myself am a practicing satanist and i thought magus gilmore spoke about how it really is. Ave satanas! great article! my name is alex and my applicaition should be in soon! my email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Very nice interview.
Well, I find Satanism very interesting, at the moment I'm practising Nihilism. But I like the idea of being one's own god.
—Xjs 07:20, 12 November 2007 (UTC)
no belief in hell
i have a conception that the church does not believe in hell.But in Deepak Chopras book life after death, he gives proof of existence of hell.is this my misconception that the church is working not knowing that there exists evidence or is it workig inspite of knowing that there is hell —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 09:47, 21 November 2007 (UTC)
- There is no scientific proof whatsoever of afterlife. If someone ever found some, he would win a Nobel prize. —Preceding unsigned comment added by The Lightning (talk • contribs) 13:05, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
- Generally speaking, Deepak Chopra is full of misconceptions. I agree fully with TheLightning's comment. I keep fully abreast of the scientific literature, and not one piece of evidence exists for hell, an afterlife, or any supernatural event/place.
i just dont know what to say.. whos who ? to predicate or say how the universe works, im not saying its right or wrong im just saying its another opinion by another person who believes his is the one.
I want to join even i`m only 16 years old.. I lived in philippines.. ..plss contact me
In my opinion
- We Believe for the same reason you dont, its choice, and its what we truly believe, we believe you can have your opinon and be wrong, and cause no harm to us so we wont tell you flat out that your wrong, unless you impose upon our beliefs and we see you as a threat, although this doesn't directly come from the opinion of every practicing satanist, its my opinion and if you would like to argue on the point you can contact me by revising this comment, and intelligently presenting your thoughts. Because you see, if you do not argue with some level of intelligence you are no better than those who cannot speak. So far your not doing very well my friend. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 09:51, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
That man is pure evil. I am not going to agree with a faith led by someone who said he would reign with Satan in Hell. Satanism has led to a lot of evil sacrifices and Anton Lavay actually believed in Satan. The only reason they do not commit human sacrifice is because it is illegal.
The age Limit
The only problem I have with this article, isn't with the article itself, but rather with one thing Magus Gilmore had said, he was right don't get me wrong, but I just wish that people under the age of 18 could gain membership to the church after proving them selves worthy. I think i am worthy, I'm rather bright, and can speak well. I'm at this point a firm believer in the teachings of Satanism, and would love to join. If there is any way you could speak to Magus Gilmore (Which i believe is most likely very improbable) about what i have said it would be greatly appreciated. Shemhamforash! Hail Satan! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 09:38, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
- The age limit is eminently sensible. It exists for the protection of the church, and to avoid situations where they are - forgive the pun - demonised for recruiting the young and impressionable. There are legal minefields to situations where someone below 18 perhaps rejects their religious upbringing, and turning to the Church of Satan can be portrayed as teenage rebellion and folly.
- My opinion is that, in a rational world, no religion would be imposed on any human being under the age of consent. I'm 40 next year, I rejected the Episcopalian upbringing that I was put through, and today I'd describe myself as a "non-theistic Buddhist"; the principles of considering your actions' consequences seem like commonsense, not dogma. --Brian McNeil / talk 10:49, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
Do you know that God loves you so much he has a purpose in your life Jesus gave his life for on the cross that you may be free and to go back to God your right relationship with him bro go back to God before it's too late —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 16:51, 4 April 2010 (UTC)
Well, we Christians may be delusional in the eyes of this man, but at least we're more respectable and moral. Just had to get that out there. 188.8.131.52 07:58, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
- You believe you are "more respectable and moral". Mr Gilmore would likely disagree. Some of us can be good people without needing to believe we'll be judged and damned by a god if we aren't. --Brian McNeil / talk 09:41, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
I once thought Satanism was the cruel ritual sacrafice version my father told me about. Now I realize (if what Peter Gilmore says is true), that Satanism is very close to my personal philosophy I have accepted my whole life. I'll have to read more into their principles, but perhaps I will try to join when I'm 18...
- like mentioned in the article that would be Theistic Satanism184.108.40.206 00:54, 26 July 2008 (UTC)
God has a better plan for your life start seeking him instead of ideology of satan. Jesus loves and so do i satan doesn't care for your soul he wants you to be placed i eternal damnation but Jesus gives life a life that is full and eternal —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 16:55, 4 April 2010 (UTC)
Agreed with most of the interview
However, his ultra-dogmatic attitude towards theists in general is a drawback. Not simply towards deserving targets, but to everyone who happens to disagree with him. He is not even trying to use intelligent counter-arguments or common decency, he just goes all "Huuurr theists r dumb and stoopid!", like a 16-year-old who discovered nihilism and tries to be ~edgy~ to his parents.
Other than that, informative and quality article. 18.104.22.168 16:53, 5 November 2008 (UTC)
While I don't agree with every aspect of the Church of Satan, this interview clarified some key issues and I am very impressed with High Priest Gilmore's eloquence and humor. If more people read more stories like this, the world would be a better place. ___22.214.171.124 19:49, 14 November 2008 (UTC)
you didn't mention saficing? why?
We all know safrcing is a big deal in the satan cultS. Why DIDN'T you mention to ask? They do saficing every sabbtah. Every Holiday!!! Why didn't you mention it? IT'S A BIG DEAL?!!! People are dieing in they's cults!!! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 18:54, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
you are the lier...
why you did not believe in god?... killing innocent people is bad behaviour... why did you say it is not make any sense to you? are you human or what?... people such you may bring this world into pieces... you should'nt believe in satanic rules.... --—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) [ citation needed ]
you must believe in god..........
we are belong to god... we are the only creation which exist with perfect thinking.... we should believe in GOD.... GOD who save us from the darkness.... GOD always there when you feel sad.... THE POWER OF GOD LOVE IS THE REASON OF YOUR HAPPINESS.... GOD IS OUR SAVIOUR,,,,,,, --—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) [ citation needed ]
GOD IS OUR SAVIOUR.......
I know a place where no one ever goes.... there peace and quiet... beauty and repose... its hidden in the valley... beside the mountain stream.... ang laying there beside the stream.... i know that i can dream.... only of thing... of beauty to the eye... snow peaked mountain,..... beleive in GOD!!!! --—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
Satanism is reflected in freedom not in atheism. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 23:55, 10 February 2009 (UTC)
Creation of the devil
My concern is about those who seek the power by following satanism practises, I do believe that Satan exists and he has an enternal power provided to his followers but isnt that a proof that heavn and hell exsits, god exists, jesus, mozas, noah, adam, and mohammed exists?
Who created satan? Who gave him the power?
With all respect, I believe that it is more appropriate to follow the creator of satan rather than to follow the created satan because the creator is capable of anything, while the created powers are limited. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 11:00, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
I do agree that Church of Satan refers to Satan himself and they know that Freedom is nothing but a mask under the real face. It is not fashion or having fun or being yourself?! It is warshiping yourself, and hence anti-others. Those are the real ethics of the devil. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 11:10, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
- Guys... these people are atheists; they do not believe in either a god or a devil. They named their organization "The Church of Satan" because they're jerks, and they wanted to tick off Christians with a provocative name. I gather that it worked:P. This is a completely different group from "Theistic Satanists", which is what demon-worshippers are. So don't confuse this group of atheists with demon worshippers, cause they aren't. Gopher65talk 13:27, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
The LaVey Family - The First Family of Satanism
Anton Szandor LaVey (1930-1997) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Anton%20LaVey/laveyatdoor.gif
- High Priest and Founder of CoS (the Church of Satan).
- Anton's First Wife and Mother of Karla Maritza LaVey.
Karla Maritza LaVey (born 1952) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Karla%20LaVey/HalloweenShow06.jpg
- Daughter of Anton and Carole.
- High Priestess of the Church of Satan (1990 to 1997); High Priestess of the First Satanic Church (1999 to Present).
Diane Hegarty-LaVey (born 1942) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Diane%20LaVey/DianeLaVeyinThePurpleRoomTheVisitor.jpg
- Anton's Second Wife; Mother of Zeena Galatea LaVey.
- Hostess, Model-Enchantress, Mother, Magician's Wife, and High Priestess of the Church of Satan (1966 to 1984).
Zeena Galatea LaVey-Schreck (born 1963) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Zeena%20Schreck/12.jpg
- Daughter of Anton and Diane.
- High Priestess of the Church of Satan (1985 to 1990).
- Wife of Barry Dubin, AKA Nikolas Schreck (1988 to Present); Mother of Stanton Zaharoff LaVey.
- Alpha Female and Co-director of the Werewolf Order and Radio Werewolf (1988 to 1993).
- Priestess of the Temple of Set (1995 to 2002).
- Co-Founding member and High Priestess of the Storm International Vanguard of the Sethian Movement (2002 - Now Defunct).
Stanton Zaharoff LaVey (born 1978) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Stanton%20LaVey/szl22_fc522a8471e7d2ed5781704870d68.jpg
- Son of Zeena Galatea Lavey.
- Stanton carries on the family tradition as a "lifestyle Satanist." He is supportive of his grandparents' character and philosophy.
- Married Szandora LaVey on 06/06/06 (marriage lasted 11 months, 20 something days and a few hours).
Szandora LaVey (born 1981) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Szandora/87739343.jpg
- Ex-Daughter-in-law of Zeena LaVey-Schreck.
- Worked as a go-go dancer and hula-hoop artist for a 1950s surf band, The Swank Bastards.
Satanic Model, Satanic Witch.
- Married Stanton LaVey on 06/06/06 (marrage lasted 11 months, 20 something days and a few hours).
Blanche Barton (real name Sharon Densley; born 1959) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Blanche%20Barton/BlancheBartonbornSharonDenslybornOc.jpg
- Last Companion of Anton; Mother of Xerxes.
- High Priestess of the Church of Satan (1997 to 2002).
- Now Magistra Tempi Rex and Chair-mistress of the Council of Nine (the governing body of the Church of Satan).
Xerxes Carnacki LaVey (born 1993) http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Xerxes%20LaVey/Last-everphotoofXerxesAnton.jpg
- Son of Anton and Blanche.
- A standing member of the Church of Satan.
WHAT - Diane was never someone who wrote or said anything of interest? - I 100% Disagree!
I had to laugh at the last bit:
DS: Who received the copyright to The Satanic Bible?
PG: The estate. The money that comes in from that gets split up and goes to the three kids. Also there is a small percentage that goes to LaVey’s companion, Diane Hegarty; she says LaVey. But they were never married and had a falling out in the early 1980’s. She went off and left Satanism and sued him for palimony and he had to sell his house because of all of that, and he sold it to an old friend and member. Diane got a pile of money and she got a tiny percentage of the books that had been written up to that point. Every once in awhile she comes creeping in off the periphery to say, “Ah! I’m Diane LaVey!” and it’s like, you were Diane Hegarty and you were kind of involved in it, but before the Satanic Panic happened you left and had nothing to do with it. She was never someone who wrote or said anything of interest. She was just the pretty blonde wife of Anton LaVey. She was a nice figurehead, but wasn’t of much use beyond that.
I find it funny that in the begging of his answer Peter Gilmore says Diane was LaVey's companion "Also there is a small percentage that goes to LaVey’s companion, Diane Hegarty; she says LaVey. But they were never married and had a falling out in the early 1980’s."
THEN later on he says that She was "just the pretty blonde wife of Anton LaVey."
WHICH IS IT PETER? WIFE or COMPANION? They were together 24 years, they lived together as man & wife...after 10 years it's called COMMON-LAW MARRAGE!
Now on too Diane "not doing anything within the Church of Satan":
Some will argue that Diane didn't help write the book, (The Satanic Witch). On the contrary…She edited the text, formulated the book, and made it presentable to book publishers. Without her constant presence in Anton's life, “The Satanic Witch” would have never been written. Remember, behind every great man, is a great witch!
Yeah Diane was the Pretty Blond Wife of Anton LaVey, She is Stunning! [IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/NewtGurl/Diane%20LaVey/AntonDianeRitualChamer1969.jpg[/IMG]
You can find out more about Stanton LaVey at www.stantonlavey.com Stanton's Offical website (includes photos of Family)
The interviewer in this article is one of the best I've ever seen. He intervenes with a very good self control and asks precise and concrete questions in the right moments. Great job, whoever you are! I alson want to say that Peter seems like a very nice person, and it totally destroys the myth that Satanists are evil. Also, it was useful in my understanding of the Church of Satan, because I am an atheist, and I didn't know we could be part of an organization. This doesn't mean I'm intending to join the Church, I just thought that Satanists worshipped Satan, but that awful misconception was destroyed by this interview. Thanks for the volunteer, ad-honorem work.
It's good to read some kind of interview. My mind opened to another horizonts that it was blocked, and in some aspects antithetical to judge the "Church of Satan" from what the "masses" talk about Satanism. Thanks to David Shankbone for the interview posted here, on Wikimedia/Wikinews, and to Peter H. Gilmore for the "mind opening me" =)
Some will argue that Diane didn't help Anton write his books.
On the contrary…She typed and edited formulated the books; The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Rituals, The Compleat Witch (aka The Satanic Witch) and The Devil’s Notebook, and made them presentable to book publishers.
She did most of the Church's administrative, press and member relations work. Without her constant presence in Anton's life, “The Satanic Witch” would have never been written. Remember, behind every great man, is a great witch!
Peter Gilmore, please just use your head a bit?
one question, did they not? Just as this "Satanist" church believes they themselves are beyond question. Science is constantly being proved and disproved so within fifty years evolution could be debunked (source required - debunkinng extremely unlikely given the vast bulk of evidence in support) what makes you so righteous compared to other people with beliefs that are just as "ludicrous"? Another misconception of people like Peter Gilmore is that the Bible, Koran and other texts are not to be taken literally. They have merit in their symbolism and their universal truths. They try and guide us in the right direction to lead an honest and moral life, which I have not yet seen in the somewhat radical Satanist Church. Religion has helped on so many levels and I think that Peter Gilmore should take a less arrogant approach, looking at the evidence analytically rather than falling prey to the modern trend that religion is overall bad.
- This is the definition of irony. A man creating a section titled"...use your head..." then going on to say " ...both the Nazi party and the Communist party followed atheist guidelines..." The short answer to that question is no. First, there are no atheist guidelines. Second, Nazi's were religious (catholic),((wrong factually Nazi made all religion illegal and burnt bibles en masse)) and in a personality cult. Third, the communists set up the government as their primary religion.
I also didn't appreciate the casual connection assumed between communists and Nazis. Communists are just people who advocate for a massively powerful government. Nazis hold racism and elitism as core beliefs. They slaughtered millions in an organized attempt to take over the world through force, and genocide. The two groups considered themselves blood enemies, and the invasion of communist Russia, by German powers, is a major contributing factor in the end of the Second World War. (( simplistic analysis by poster - see Warsaw Pact and Non aggression treaty ))
I have been trying to indulge myself in satanism for some time now, I do not claim to be a satanist because I'm not sure I fully comprehend it. This interview did however answer a lot of questions I had and it is the best explanation for Satanism I found yet. I have not been able read any of Anton LaVey's work due to the fact that I am only 14. I talked with a satanist the other day and he explained to me how I would be able to obtain A satanic bible. My parents don't approve, but they dont understand, and wont let me explain that Satanism has nothing to do with worship. It is quite aggravating. I look forward to joining the Church of Satan when I become the legal age.
- What would make you want to join the Church of Satan or any religion for that matter if you don't understand it? Seriously, this has gotta be because you want to piss your parents off. You should realize that there is nothing supernatural and all religions are hoaxes. --188.8.131.52 (talk) 19:38, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
"DS: What do you think is their motivation to worship a Christian Satan?
PG: I really wouldn’t know, I’d have to talk to them, but my supposition would be that they want to feel they are naughty on some level."
The interviewer is asking the man to analyze the motivations of a wide and varied group of people -- that he just admitted to never interacting with. The interviewee gives an appropriate response, "I really wouldn’t know, I’d have to talk to them...", but then continues on to psychoanalyze them. If you are not a trained therapist, or are not familiar with the group, don't try to psychoanalyze them.
Actually, never try to psychoanalyze any group.
church of satan
I enjoyed the article. The interviewee sounds balanced and rational. The "church's" ideas are interesting and practical. However I dont understand why its called the church of satan since the priest doesnt believe in god or satan and his point of view is more atheist/agnostic.
Comments from feedback form - "very good interview"
Comments from feedback form - "want to no more"
Comments from feedback form - "SHAME ON YOU TO PUBLISH ABOUT ..."
Comments from feedback form - "Good"
Setting a great example
- "What you’re doing, David, is a Satanic example."
Comments from feedback form - "сатана гондон с маленькой букв..."
Comments from feedback form - "stars of the satanic church"
Comments from feedback form - "Great article!"
Comments from feedback form - "ии"
Church of satan(heresy) is a megalomaniac contraption by Anton and his band of blasphemers. The crisis in their individual lives is a testimony to their befuddled state. The solution is JESUS CHRIST the son of JEHOVAH the ONLY LIVING GOD.
Gilmore is a very clever guy.
Comments from feedback form - "the world of satans and the mo..."
the world of satans and the most important facts about them still seems to be not exposed..it would be great if things like that are added and people are made more awae about the Dark world of SATANS..Thanks —184.108.40.206 (talk) 09:27, 17 August 2010 (UTC)
Contradicting flaws with this thinking.
The main problem, and why this belief structure is flawed, is because it encompasses a self-indulging fantasy that there is nothing else that matters but you, but still need a group to support this. Support groups are designed to not enforce opposing belief such as he was against, but to help a person feel it's right. Self indulgence comes from the idea that you're the only thing in the presence of what happens to you which abandons cause and effect which is not a belief structure, but simply the way it is. I am an agnostic because I was raised a mid west methodist and couldn't wrap my head around the notion of quite a few of the principles. But on the other hand, you can't quite go as far as Mr. Gilmore. I have to believe in a sense a something that started the universe. If I didn't it would be presumably ignorant of me to think that it just happened. Not sure it quite works that way. I do not believe in Satan, or a devil, nor heaven or hell, I believe there could have been a man named Jesus that was in the right place at the wrong time in order to make thousands of people design a religion around him. This is called cause and effect, but thats from a logistical point of view. Most religions have this same flaw of myth vrs. fact. A belief structure is only as effective as the group that supports it. This interview sponsored an extremely vague description of what Mr. Gilmore probably wanted to tell, but in turn took the safe way out. lol Almost every religion is flawed due to its need to be able to rely on a varied number of people to record (uninfluenced) every word, principle, and belief, no matter how complex it may be. Some of these religions have been with us for thousands of years. We are relying on countless human beings to keep the general message free of outside context, and requires it followers to follow higher classed members, (almost a bit like socialism, isn't it? ha ha) I just find it hard to believe that billions of people that have expressed this kind of need throughout our history, that we can basicly "chuck" all of that thinking away and replace it with a self indulgent one. "My real feeling is that anybody who believes in supernatural entities on some level is insane. Whether they believe in The Devil or God, they are abdicating reason." as said by Mr. Gilmore, this I can agree with, but to replace it with a self-centered philosophy, that doesn't believe in outside influence, nope, can't do it. (my opinion) Now, as he says " Most people tend to really feel that they want some kind of external support, that they are outward looking and might want some sort of supernatural parental figure, or even some sort of existing governmental authority, existing in their life." He is going back to that "most people need a support group." Unfortunately, he is advocating that his voice of principle does not require one. If so, why does he need a group, church, etc. Just sayin'. keep it light, keep it real. no hate = no fear. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Pauly (talk • contribs) 02:18, 15 September 2010
Comments from feedback form - "Well, I think it's an excellen..."
Comments from feedback form - "i would like to know how you b..."
the only way out of this nonsence is for satanism to be go back to God. they have miss the track because GOD CARE AND LOVE THEM.
Comments from feedback form - "I want to know what is it abou..."
Comments from feedback form - "satan ,will never rule the ear..."
satan ,will never rule the earth,he is already defeated by Jesus!he is just trying to convince other people because he is no longer part of heaven and the earth,and no longer part of the family of God! —220.127.116.11 (talk) 03:25, 2 December 2010 (UTC)
Comments from feedback form - "Amaizing, simple like that."
Comments from feedback form - "its ok"
Comments from feedback form - "WE have only one God and Jesus..."
Comments from feedback form - "I'm doing a research paper for..."
I'm doing a research paper for my sociology class, and I found this more informative than most other sites. The Church of Satan site itself is bit tricky to navigate. —18.104.22.168 (talk) 20:21, 15 March 2011 (UTC)
Comments from feedback form - "This article is very interesti..."
Comments from feedback form - "this thing should not be on ne..."
Comments from feedback form - "please peter tell me what ehab..."
Comments from feedback form - "Well, since i't's an interview..."
Comments from feedback form - "great stuff"
Change the name of ur church
Dat was a very interested one.i would hv loved to join but...call me if u kias to kw y.<redacted>
Change the name of ur church
Dat was a very interested one.i would hv loved to join but...call me if u kias to kw y.<redacted>
Change the name of ur church
Dat was a very interested one.i would hv loved to join but...call me if u kias to kw y.<redacted>
Comments from feedback form - "stop and join JESUS"
Comments from feedback form - "hello"
Comments from feedback form - "i think anyone in this church ..."
i think anyone in this church of satan has already been singled out for eternal destruction by God. It is not a religion but a body of bold and stupid people trying to oppose God. —22.214.171.124 (talk) 08:25, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
Interesting Philosophy: hypocritical name
i am very receptive to this form of ideology however I do not agree with the name. I see how it is used to court controversy and incite dubious feelings in the masses but ultimately it infringes on innocent and dare we say stupid people's feelings. The church will not reach the next level until it distances itself from the false religions and discards it's false antithesis as a name sake. I do understand the meaning is different but the perception is more important , even to an interested reader.
Comments from feedback form - "Its good enough. But needs mor..."
Comments from feedback form - "a plus"
and think the interview is amazing, pretty informative and well organized about the subject in matter (Y)
Comments from feedback form - "this is evil n evil will surly..."
Comments from feedback form - "would love to become a member...."
Comments from feedback form - "ineed more information frm u p..."
have you ever tried to imagine eternity,you coward I dare you to go crazy and come back by believing in your self,you strive on ignorance,we are all abominations doomed to suffer,you claim not to have a father when you are afraid to read the word of God,you deny your birth right,what if when you spoke nobody listened to you and they called you crazy guess you will like that God is not mocked whatsoever a man will sow he will reap when it is time for him to rest try it n c,as a Christian you think God needs you haha I laugh,if only you knew what you look like in the spirit now and what you once looked like the dominion you once grasped a crown of gold,you needed nothing things needed you,donot be fooled you will speak d word of God and you will look at his face lyk a dog to his master instead of like a son to his father,you cannot c God in a man's appearance but in his words,knowing all things,having a speed incomprehensive to yourself you find strength in nothing nobody tell you what to do because you only answer to the father and you understand he is perfect,more than complete understanding the light and the darkness the balance,undiminishing source of power,a man can only deceive himself ,the ignoramus is afaid of himself when he is nothing us how dum if he is not real why does his face hunt you wolves in sheep clothing when you lie about somethin you know nothing about cheats our hearts are continually evil and God says come unto me all that labour and I will give you rest what's not good about that,I het you if you can go just one hour without sin and you will not find the father use me as your sacrifice because this is the simple fact why I exist.repent today n c so that you will make your choice
Comments from feedback form - "Amazing!"
Comments from feedback form - "u just dont kno who your god i..."
Comments from feedback form - ""My real feeling is that anybo..."
"My real feeling is that anybody who believes in supernatural entities on some level is insane." lol! Is this guy a puppet or is he just playing stupid? Not stupid at all but rather a clever business kingpin. AhHa! Satanists are atheists. Perhaps they should change the name from Church Of Satan to School Of The Unexperienced since he does not promote the existence of pan-dimensional entities. So why use the name of the Judeo Christian mythical adversary figure to represent a one-dimensional concept? Because it has appeal! Specially to the young and the gullible via means of psychological and emotional manipulation. I respect the fact that the Church Of Satan upholds a self centered attitude but I find it very limited in it's understanding of spirituality. Now days young minds are submitted to a tremendous bombardment of ideas, specially coming from the entertainment industry. So many people tend to fall for the carrot unaware of who is pulling the string. Clever! But not honorable. Try some Void Magick, Anapanasati or some real invocations for better understanding the nature of reality. That's my humble opinion. —126.96.36.199 (talk) 12:56, 21 April 2012 (UTC)
Comments from feedback form - "I say go alittle deeper."
Comments from feedback form - "Jesus is coming soon, his rewa..."
- Aha, a Ha Ha, a ha ha ha! Do you actually believe that twaddle? Did you even read the article or just knee-jerk at the title? --Brian McNeil / talk 12:44, 7 May 2012 (UTC)
Comments from feedback form - "May God have mercy on your sou..."
Comments from feedback form - "i want to one of this chruch"
Comments from feedback form - "GREAT "
Comments from feedback form - "holy fire arrest all of u,ad i..."
holy fire arrest all of u,ad if u refuse to be arrested,may it consume u all in a twinkle of an eye in jesus christ holy name amen!!! Blood of jesus blood of jesus....... —188.8.131.52 (talk) 23:10, 4 June 2012 (UTC)
Jesus loves you all and died for you.....
Jesus loves him and everyone else and wants to come in your lives. He died on the cross for your sins. His blood will wash way them all away. Confess with your mouth and believe with your heart. Tell to come in to your heart and accept Him as your Lord and Saviour. He said that I’am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to God the Father but its only by Him (John 14:6). —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) 21:24, 15 June 2012
Comments from feedback form - "pls i just need money and i ca..."
Peter Pan Gilmore...
Peter H. Gilmore's "Church of Satan, Inc." has no connections whatsoever with the original Church of Satan founded in 1966 by Anton Szandor LaVey. The only authentic continuation and evolution of the latter is the Order of Shaitan Satanic Embassy. However, we will allow Peter to pretend to be Black Pope if it keeps him off the streets. Just consider it an act of kindness towards a guy so short he has to stand on a box to use a drinking fountain. — Ipsissimus Daniel Rumanos 220.127.116.11 (talk) 17:30, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
Comments from feedback form - "Very thankful that everyday pe..."
Very thankful that everyday people contribute to a great site like this. Helped me learn a lot more about a benefactor of my religion. Very helpful, and I thank you. —18.104.22.168 (talk) 20:12, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
Comments from feedback form - "i lawrence,i what to be a memb..."
Comments from feedback form - "to me i will like to be member..."
Comments from feedback form - "Is male circumcision required?..."
GILMORE HIM SELF
all the way from witbank (south africa)...fIRST name thabiso second name david and my last nsme is masango...my comment is very firm and out of this world,but i read is intrestig very much.chat late
He's not a satanist
This guy, Peter, is a phony, who employs such a title to gain attention for an undefined, cheap, but no-less irresponsible philosophy!
The interviewer, more a satanic himself
The interviewer didn't seem to accept that abortion ends a life and kept pushing until the interviewed gave an answer the more or less aligned with his beliefs. Same with the issue of homosexuality: we both agree so end of discussion
From 2 or 3 thousand years ago Greek and Roman laws were set against that which is anti-social (injurous to citizens more importantly, or to a citizen, with simple chattels held last).
I had a friend from GA once that devled into that stuff briefly but recovered. So I'd suggest patience for such cases.
However I consider a prolonged act of satanism a crime by the US constitution. I'd have the guy jailed assuming he's harmed one hair on any creature other than himself. A life of crime is not a limited action. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 20:45, 5 July 2013
i wanted to ask a question to Mr. Gilmore.... i am a Hindu Brahmin.. but i had been more of a atheist through out my life... and i have read the book Satanic Bible..and i have realized that my views are exactly the same as it is in the book.... so i wanted to ask if i am entitled to join this extremely advanced order, considering that im not from USA(im from India), and i am a hindu...and if yes, if there is any formalities to be followed to join this order... —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) 14:25, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
This is why it is called Satanism...
I see that some of you wonder why the religion created by LaVey is named Satanism. It's a fairly simple answer.
Human beings tend to use symbols to express their thoughts and feelings. As Magister Gilmore pointed out, Satan is a symbol of certain ideas and philosophical viewpoints that some people adhere to. Therefore, Anton LaVey used "Satanism" to express the concepts that his religion was designed around.
Additionally, there is a dark aesthetic shared by most Satanists that many people tie to Satan.
There are a few other reasons that this religion is so named but, personally, I consider them secondary to the ones I have mentioned here.
-Hammergoat —The preceding comment was added 12:52, 9 May 2015