Comments:WHO declares global swine flu pandemic
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
This seems completely irresponsible by the WHO. They are at their highest level? What if there was something going around with a mortality rate higher than 0.5%? What if there was an actual plague? What would they do? Go to highest level +1? They have painted themselves into a corner by elevating alert levels prematurely. --SVTCobra 00:54, 12 June 2009 (UTC)
Actually this is a pandemic, this is a big deal, what would they do? They just did it, because of the severity of this. What could be worse? We could all be dead?
itt American ignorance
I knew 3 people who had the swine flu it is such a joke. Unless you are a little kid or walking with crutches or have any other ailments you will not die it is such a joke of a disease.
- For better or worse, the lethality of illness is not part of the criteria for declaring a pandemic. <tongue-in-cheek> Perhaps there should be a 3-tier 1-6 protocol for indicating how bad a pandemic is. n for transmissiblity, n for geographic extent, and n for lethality with one being least severe and 6 being most severe for that tier. <tongue-in-cheek> --Mav (talk)
- We people down here in Australia are entering our flu season, we most certainly have the right to give a damn about it. 188.8.131.52 (talk) 05:31, 15 June 2009 (UTC)
"Unless you are a little kid or walking with crutches or have any other ailments you will not die it is such a joke of a disease." I think you seriously did not think that sentence through. Those risks alone are worth the pandemic rating — should it only be considered a pandemic if only adults die? Of course not. I think WHO was right in raising the Swine Flu to pandemic level.