Danish and Austrian embassies in Tehran attacked
Monday, February 6, 2006
Four-hundred protestors threw fire bombs and stones at the Danish embassy in Iran today as part of continuing reaction to the , originally published in Denmark. Iranian were sent in, but several protestors made their way into the embassy and burned documents before being removed. Tear gas was used against the demonstrators, at least nine of which were injured.,
Denmark has repeated its request to the Iranian government for better protection of its embassy. Iran's minister of trade has halted all trade between the two countries. It is rumored that Iran is planning to review its trade ties with all of the countries in which the cartoons have been published. Iran's ambassador in Denmark has returned to Iran.
Demonstrators also attacked the Austrian embassy in Tehran today, as a protest against the Austrian newspaper that published the cartoons, . Windows were broken, but no fires were reported.
Demonstrators were also fueled by the IAEA's treatment of Iran's nuclear arms program.
- Reuters. "Iranians Target Austrian Embassy" — , February 6, 2006.
- "Muslim cartoon fury claims lives" — , February 6, 2006.
- "Angrep Østerrikes Ambassade i Iran" — , February 6, 2006 ()
- Dag Yngve Dahle. "Danmarks ambassade i Iran angrepet" — , February 6, 2006 ()
- "Brente dokumenter i Danmarks ambassade" — , February 6, 2006 ()