Dutch senate votes in favour of face veil ban
Friday, June 29, 2018
On Tuesday, the upper house of the Dutch parliament voted in favour of a face-veil ban which is applicable to places including public transport, government buildings, schools, and hospitals.
Banning Muslim women's clothings — and — has been discussed in the parliament for many years. The face veil ban was passed by the lower house in 2016. In 2015, the advisors of Parliament said wearing a burqa or niqab was guaranteed by the constitutional right to religious freedom.
The face veil ban makes it illegal for citizens to cover their face. Wearing helmets inside government buildings is also banned. DutchNews.nl reported the fine of violating the law is €400. The ban does not apply on the streets.
Calling the day historic, Senatorsaid it was "the first day to de-Islamise the Netherlands." "This is the first step and the next step is to close the mosques in the Netherlands", Van de Klashorst said. Senator of the said, "It is completely disproportionate and the only effect will be that many of these women will stay at home even more [...] They will not have an opportunity to go to school."
The ((nl))Dutch language: Niet alles waarvoor je je op godsdienstvrijheid beroept, mag je ook maar doen. Deze vrijheid moet kunnen worden beperkt in het algemeen belang. 's senator said, "This law will not change very much in practice, but gives a message that this form of Islam in our society actually does not fit, because it disrupts it." ((nl))Dutch language: Deze wet zal in de praktijk niet heel veel veranderen, maar geeft toch als boodschap dat deze vorm van de islam in onze maatschappij eigenlijk niet past, omdat hij daar ontregelend werkt.party's minister said, "Not everything for which you call on religious freedom, you can also do. This freedom must be limited in the public interest."
- "France first to enforce burqa ban" — Wikinews, April 12, 2011
- "Belgium passes ban on full face veil" — Wikinews, April 30, 2010
- "Dutch senate passes law enabling partial 'burqa ban'" — , June 26, 2018
- Raf Casert and Aleksandar Furtula for the AP. "Dutch parliament bans wearing burqas in schools, hospitals or on trains" — , June 26, 2018
- "Senators vote through ban on burqa in government buildings, hospitals" — , June 26, 2018
- Raoul du Pré. "Het boerkaverbod: na 4.571 dagen wordt Wilders' wil wet in de zorg, het openbaar vervoer en op scholen" — , June 25, 2018 ()
- Sasha Ingber. "Denmark Bans The Burqa And Niqab" — , May 31, 2018