Earthquake kills thousands in Indonesia
Saturday, May 27, 2006
An earthquake measuring 6.3 struck Indonesia's and early on Saturday morning, killing at least 5,427 people, and injuring thousands more. Severe damage has been reported in the city of Yogyakarta, with over three thousand buildings having collapsed and electricity and communications links broken. The (USGS) reports that the quake struck at 5:54 a.m. local time (2254 UTC Friday) and the epicentre was offshore, approximately 25 km (15 miles) southwest of the city.
Nearby, which has seen increased activity in recent weeks, had emitted a large cloud of purple smoke and shortly before the earthquake, and vulcanologists have confirmed that the earthquake has increased the volcano's activity. Indonesia lies on the , a zone containing the boundaries of tectonic plate that encircles the basin of the Pacific Ocean, and is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
Hospital efforts were being hampered by, which the USGS have measured as being up to 4.8 in , and currently by a lack of doctors, beds, and medical supplies. The Indonesian Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa has said that the earthquake has damaged the Yogyakarta , closing it to air traffic until at least Sunday.
Many countries have offered aid to the devastated region, with the United Kingdom offering three million pounds ($5,600,000 U.S), Australia offering three million Australian dollars ($2,270,000 U.S) China offering two million U.S dollars, and the United States, European Union, Japan, and offering further immediate aid. The , Red Crescent, as well as UNICEF have been providing tents and emergency supplies to the victims.
Many residents spent the night outdoors, either afraid to return for fear of more aftershocks, or because they had lost their homes. In the Bantul district, up to 80% of houses were destroyed, leaving an estimated 150,000 homeless. The Indonesian President,, visited the disaster area and has called in the army to assist in rescue efforts.
- Magnitude 6.3 - Java, Indonesia Earthquake page at the 's Earthquake Hazards Program.
- AP. "Three dead in Indonesia quake" — , May 26, 2006
- "At least 15 dead, hundreds injured in Indonesia quake" — , May 27, 2006
- "Quake toll climbs over 1000." — , May 27, 2006
- "Powerful quake rocks central parts of Java, kills over 1,400" — , May 27, 2006
- "Quake toll climbs to 2276." — , May 27, 2006
- "Nearly 3,000 dead in Java quake" — , May 27, 2006
- Irwan Firdaus. "Update 33: Indonesia Earthquake Kills at Least 2,700" — , May 27, 2006
- "Britain offers £3m earthquake aid" — , May 27, 2006
- Achmad Sukarsono. "Quake toll rises sharply" — , May 28, 2006
- Irawn Firdaus. "Quake Kills More Than 3,500 in Indonesia" — , May 27, 2006
- "China to offer US$2m aid to quake-hit Indonesia" — , May 27, 2006
- "Hospitals overflow amid fear, death" — , May 27, 2006
- "Indonesia quake kills more than 3,000" — , May 28, 2006
- "Australian medics rush to help" — , May 29, 2006
- "Aid flow begins for Java victims" — , May 30, 2006
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|