Egypt postpones renewal of ceasefire talks in Cairo, following attacks in Sinai

From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Jump to: navigation, search

Monday, October 27, 2014

Egypt officially informed Hamas it is postponing the renewal of the indirect negotiations to achieve a ceasefire agreement between Israel and the armed factions in the Gaza Strip, according to Hamas personnel yesterday.

Last week, Egypt encouraged the sides to return to the negotiations table today, in order to further discuss several issues yet to be agreed upon by the end of the last negotiations round. Hamas sources say attacks in the Sinai peninsula have prevented the talks from occurring in their original date.

The head of the Palestinian delegation, Azzam al-Ahmad, said the talks are to be renewed during mid- to late November. However, Hamas spokesperson Fawzy Barhoum told Ma'an News Agency "It's Egypt that will set a new date for indirect talks brokered by Egypt, and Hamas will be invited to that round of talks".

Hamas MP Mushir al-Masri stated the Palestinian delegation was to arrive yesterday in Cairo through the Rafah border crossing, but the closing of the crossing by the Egyptian authorities, following attacks against Egyptian soldiers in Sinai, delayed its visit.


Related news

Sources

Bookmark-new.svg