Endangered 'Asian unicorn' sighted
Thursday, November 14, 2013
On Tuesday, the Vietnam. The picture was recorded last September by a camera trap placed by the Vietnamese government and the WWF.(WWF) announced that a living , or "Asian unicorn", has been photographed in Central
The saola, an Laos. They have never survived in captivity.-like animal with long horns, had not been seen in Vietnam since 1998, said Forest Protection Department Deputy Head Dang Dinh Nguyen. The saola is critically endangered, according to the . The WWF estimates only a few dozen saola, or at most a few hundred, survive in remote, dense upland forests along Vietnam's border with
The WWF hopes to help save the saola from extinction by safeguarding its habitat from . Their country director for Vietnam, Van Ngoc Thinh, said, "This is a breathtaking discovery and renews hope for the recovery of the species."
- AP. "Saola sighting in Vietnam raises hopes for rare mammal's recovery" — , November 13, 2013
- Endangered 'Asian Unicorn' sighted in Vietnam: WWF" — , November 13, 2013. "
- "Saola rediscovered! ‘Asian Unicorn’ sighted in Vietnam for first time in 15 years" — , November 12, 2013
- "Saola Rediscovered: Rare Photos of Elusive Species from Vietnam" — , November 12, 2013
- "Pseudoryx nghetinhensis" — , June 30, 2008