FIFA World Cup 2018 day 12, 13, 14, 15: Iran, Nigeria, Germany, Senegal out of the tournament
Sunday, July 1, 2018
On day twelve of the 2018 FIFA football World Cup, June 25, Saudi Arabia defeated Egypt 2–1, Uruguay defeated hosts Russia 3–0, Iran drew 1–1 against Portugal and missed out qualification of Last 16, while Spain drew 2–2 against Morocco. On day thirteen, Tuesday, Australia suffered a 2–0 defeat against Peru, Denmark and France shared the spoils with a goalless draw, Iceland lost 1–2 against Croatia and Argentina won the must-win match against Nigeria defeating them 2–1 and advancing to the Last 16.
On day fourteen of the tournament, Wednesday, Serbia lost 0–2 against Brazil, Switzerland and Costa Rica shared the spoils with a 2–2 draw, South Korea scored two goals against Germany, sending the defending champions home, and Mexico lost 3–0 against Sweden. On Thursday, the last day of group stage matches, Belgium defeated England 1–0, Tunisia defeated Panama 2–1, Poland defeated Japan 1–0, and Colombia defeated Senegal 1–0, as Japan and Colombia qualified for the Last 16.
Saudi Arabia v Egypt
Saudi Arabia faced Egypt in the first game of the day. Saudi Arabia had a greater ball possession. Egypt's captain Mohamed Salah opened the scoring for Egypt in the 22nd minute, chipping the ball over Saudi Arabia's goalkeeper, giving Egypt a 1–0 lead before the half-hour mark. Two minutes later, Salah missed a chance to double the lead for Egypt. In the 39th minute, Saudi Arabia won a penalty after's handball, but 's penalty was saved. Saudi Arabia won another penalty in the added time in the first half due to a bad foul by . scored from the penalty spot, equalising for Saudi Arabia at the halftime.
In the second half,scored the second goal for Saudi Arabia in the injury time, moments before the final whistle. Both the teams had lost their first two matches and missed out their opportunity for advancing to the Last 16 knockout phase.
Uruguay v Russia
Uruguay faced the hosts Russia in the second game of the day. Uruguay had more ball possession in the match. Uruguayan strikerscored the opening goal from a freekick in the 10th minute, putting the ball in the bottom right corner. In the 23rd minute, Uruguay's lead was doubled when scored an own goal. In the 36th minute, was sent off, after he received a second yellow card in the match. Russia trailed 2–0 at the halftime.
In the second half, Uruguayan strikerscored the third goal, a close-range shot, as Uruguay emerged as the winners of the group.
Iran v Portugal
Iran took on Portugal in the third game of the day. Portugal had greater ball possession.missed a chance to score for Portugal in the 18th minute. Minutes before the halftime whistle, scored a goal from Adrien Silva's assist, giving Portugal a one-goal lead at the halftime.
In the second half, Portugal won a penalty kick, which the referee decided after verifying with the video assistant referee. Portugal's captain's penalty was saved by Iran's goalkeeper. Quaresma was booked in the 64th minute for a bad foul and six minutes later, he was replaced by . Ronaldo was shown a yellow card in the 83rd minute. In the ending minutes of the game, Iran was awarded a penalty, and scored from the spot, equalising for Iran. The match ended in a 1–1 draw.
Spain v Morocco
In the last game of the day, Spain took on Morocco. Spain had greater ball possession. Spain conceded an early goal asbroke away from Spanish players and scored in the 14th minute. Five minutes later Spain equalised as scored a close-range shot from 's assist. In the 21st minute, won a freekick for Spain as was shown a yellow card for a bad foul. Spanish goalkeeper stopped Boutaïb's shot in the 25th minute, preventing Morocco from regaining their lead. Attempts by , , Busquets and Thiago Alcántara were saved. Costa missed a chance to score from 's assist in the 27th minute. received a yellow card in the 29th minute for a bad foul on Spanish captain . The first half ended with both sides scoring one goal.
In the second half,missed a chance to put Spain in the lead, assisted by Isco. In the 74th minute, replaced Diego Costa. In the 80th minute, Morocco won a corner, and a minute later, they scored their second goal of the game, as scored a header from 's assist. Aspas scored the second equaliser for Spain in the injury time from 's assist. The match ended 2–2. Spain and Portugal advanced to the knock-out phase.
Australia v Peru
Australia had greater ball possession as they faced South American side Peru. In the 18th minute, scored the first goal for Peru, from captain 's assist. There were multiple attempts from both the sides in the remainder of the first half but it remained 1–0 with Peru leading.
In the second half, Paolo Guerrero scored a goal in the 50th minute int the bottom right corner, giving Peru a two-goal advantage. The match ended with Peru winning the game, but neither of the two qualifying for the knockout phase.
Denmark v France
France had greater ball possession against Denmark. Attempts from, , , and for France were saved. Denmark's was the only one to be booked in the game and the match remained goalless, with both the teams advancing to the Last 16 knockout phase.
Iceland v Croatia
Croatia faced Iceland and had more ball possession in the game. The first half remained goalless. In the second half,missed a chance to score for Croatia, assisted by . In the 53rd minute, Badelj scored the goal, putting Croatia in lead. Iceland was awarded a penalty kick in the 75th minute after 's handball in the penalty area. equalised for Iceland from the penalty kick. Croatia made a change in the 82nd minute, as came on for . Rakitić missed a chance in the 88th minute to give Croatia the lead, but scored the second goal for Croatia as Croatia finished the game 2–1.
Nigeria v Argentina
Nigeria took on Argentina in the must-win game for the South Americans for advancing in the knockout phase. Argentine forward Lionel Messi and Messi scored a goal in the top left corner. In the 32nd minute won a freekick as received a yellow card for a bad foul.committed an early foul in the game as Nigeria won a freekick in their defensive half. In the 14th minute, assisted Argentine captain
Argentine defender African side. Argentina made a substitution in the 80th minute, sending for Nicolás Tagliafico. Argentina got the breakthrough in the 86th minute when scored in the bottom right corner from 's assist. Argentina won the match 2–1 and qualified for the Last 16.received a yellow card in the 49th minute for a bad foul within the penalty area. Nigeria won a penalty kick and scored an equaliser for the
Serbia v Brazil
Serbia faced Brazil in their last group stage match. Brazil had greater ball possession. Brazil took the lead in the 36th minute asscored a goal, chipping it over the goalkeeper; assisted by . The first half ended 1–0.
Soon in the second half,was booked for a bad foul. In the 68th minute, Brazil doubled the lead as scored a goal in the top left corner from Neymar's assist. The match ended 2–0 as Brazil advanced to the knockout phase.
Switzerland v Costa Rica
Switzerland took on South American side Costa Rica and dominated the ball possession.opened the scoring for Switzerland just after the half-hour mark from 's assist. Efforts from both the sides did not produce any goals in the remainder of the first half.
In the second half,missed a chance to double the lead for the Swiss side, from an assist by Granit Xhaka. Minutes later, Embolo also missed a chance to score from 's assist. equalised for Costa Rica in the 56th minute from 's assist. In the 88th minute, gave Swiss side another lead, scoring from 's cross. But the Swiss lead was short-lived; Costa Rica was awarded a penalty after Zakaria's foul in the penalty area. hit the crossbar, but the ball went in deflecting from goalkeeper and the match ended 2–2.
Switzerland advanced to the knockout stage after the draw.
South Korea v Germany
Defending champions Germany faced South Korea and Germany had greater ball possession.missed out a chance to put Germany in the lead in the 6th minute. In the 39th minute, got a chance to score for Germany but the attempt was saved. 's attempt during the ending moments of the first half was blocked as both the sides were goalless at the end of the first half.
In the second half, Germany made a substitution asreplaced . In the 61st minute, missed a chance to score from Özil's assist. Two minutes later, replaced . Korea scored the first goal of the match in the injury time, when netted a close-range shot. The goal was confirmed after referring to the video assistant referee. Mats Hummels a chance to equalise from Müller's assist. German goalkeeper came out in the midfield in the ending moments of the game. Neuer was dispossessed by and provided a long-range assist for who scored the second goal. Korea defeated Germany 2–0. Both the sides did not advance to the knockout phase of the tournament.
Mexico v Sweden
Mexico took on Sweden and had greater ball possession. Mexico'sreceived an early yellow card for a bad foul in the first minute of the match. Both the sides had multiple attempts, but none of the sides scored a goal in the first half.
At the beginning of the second half, Sweden got their first goal asscored in the 50th minute from 's assist. In the 61st minute, received a yellow for a foul, and Sweden was awarded a penalty kick. doubled the lead for Swedish side form the penalty kick. In the 74th minute, scored an own goal, as Sweden got their third goal of the game. The match ended 3–0 in favour of Sweden. Mexico had already qualified for the knockout phase, and Germany's defeat against South Korea meant Sweden advanced to the Last 16 as well.
England v Belgium
England and Belgium had both qualified for the Last 16 winning their first two group stage matches. The Belgian side left, , and on the bench. scored the only goal of the match in the 51st minute. In the 66th minute, 's attempt for a goal was saved by Belgian goalkeeper . The match ended as Belgium led 1–0, winning the group.
Panama v Tunisia
Tunisia dominated ball possession against Panama. First-half own goal by Tunisian playergave Panama a one-goal lead in the 33rd minute. equalised for Tunisia in the 51st minute, scoring from 's assist. Khazri later doubled the score for the Arfican side in the 66th minute. The match ended 2–1 for Tunisia as Panama finished their debut FIFA World Cup tournament without a point or a win.
Japan v Poland
Japan faced Poland led by captain. The only goal of the match came in the 59th minute when scored a right-footed shot from 's assist. Despite losing 1–0 against Poland, Japan advanced to the knockout phase, having more fair play points as compared to Senegal. Japan had equal points, goals scored and conceded in the tournament. Poland had already missed out their chance to advance to the knockout phase.
Senegal v Colombia
Senegal faced Colombia in their last group stage match. Colombia had greater ball possession. Just after the quarter-hour mark, Senegal won a penalty kick, but after referring with the video assistant referee, it was cancelled.was substituted off because of an injury just after the half-hour mark. Attempts from both the teams were prevented as the first half ended without any goals scored.
In the 74th minute,scored a header from 's assist, putting Colombia in lead. Minutes later, Colombian goalkeeper saved Senegal's attempt to equalise.
The match ended 1–0 with Colombia advancing to the knockout phase. Senegal and Japan had same points, goals scored and conceded but Japan advanced to the Last 16 due to higher fair play coefficient.
- World Cup Scores & Fixtures" — , July 1, 2018 (date of access) . "
- Phil McNulty. "World Cup 2018: England lose 1-0 to Belgium in final group game" — , June 28, 2018
- England v Belgium - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 45" — , June 28, 2018 . "
- Saj Chowdhury. "World Cup 2018: Wahbi Khazri scores as Tunisia end with 2-1 win over Panama" — , June 28, 2018
- Panama v Tunisia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 46" — , June 28, 2018 . "
- Shamoon Hafez. "World Cup: Japan reach last 16 despite 1-0 defeat by Poland" — , June 28, 2018
- Japan v Poland - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 47" — , June 28, 2018 . "
- Andrew Mullen. "World Cup 2018: Senegal 0-1 Colombia" — , June 28, 2018
- Senegal v Colombia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 48" — , June 28, 2018 . "
- Cynthia Nzetia and Alejandra Rueda. "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Matches - Senegal - Colombia" — , June 28, 2018
- Paul Fletcher. "World Cup 2018: Brazil into knockouts with win over Serbia" — , June 27, 2018
- Serbia v Brazil - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 41" — , June 27, 2018 . "
- Harry Poole. "World Cup 2018: Switzerland reach last 16 after Costa Rica draw" — , June 27, 2018
- Switzerland v Costa Rica - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 42" — , June 27, 2018 . "
- Michael Emons. "World Cup 2018: Germany out of tournament after losing to South Korea" — , June 27, 2018
- Korea Republic v Germany - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 43" — , June 27, 2018 . "
- Patrick Jennings. "World Cup 2018: Sweden reach last 16 with win over Mexico" — , June 27, 2018
- Mexico v Sweden - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 44" — , June 27, 2018 . "
- Michael Emons. "World Cup 2018: Peru beat Australia 2-0 to win first finals match for 40 years" — , June 26, 2018
- Australia v Peru - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 38" — , June 26, 2018 . "
- Chris Bevan. "World Cup 2018: France secure top spot as Denmark progress" — , June 26, 2018
- Denmark v France - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 37" — , June 26, 2018 . "
- Luke Reddy. "World Cup 2018: Iceland out after defeat by group winners Croatia" — , June 26, 2018
- Iceland v Croatia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 40" — , June 26, 2018 . "
- Jack Skelton. "World Cup 2018: Argentina through after Marcos Rojo's late volley downs Nigeria 2-1" — , June 26, 2018
- Nigeria v Argentina - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 39" — , June 26, 2018 . "
- Saj Chowdhury. "World Cup 2018: Mohamed Salah scores but Egypt lose to Saudi Arabia" — , June 25, 2018
- Saudi Arabia v Egypt - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 34" — , June 25, 2018 . "
- Patrick Jennings. "World Cup 2018: Uruguay ease to victory over Russia to win Group A" — , June 25, 2018
- Uruguay v Russia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 33" — , June 25, 2018 . "
- Matthew Henry. "VAR: Cristiano Ronaldo misses penalty but Portugal progress at World Cup" — , June 25, 2018
- IR Iran v Portugal - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 35" — , June 25, 2018 . "
- Mike Whalley. "VAR: Spain scrape draw with Morocco and top Group B at World Cup" — , June 25, 2018
- Spain v Morocco - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 36" — , June 25, 2018