FIFA World Cup 2018 day eight, nine, ten, eleven: Belgium, England confirm knockout phase qualification; Poland, Costa Rica miss out Last 16
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
On day eight of the 2018 FIFA football World Cup, Thursday, Denmark drew 1–1 against Australia; France defeated Peru 1–0 and Argentina lost 3–0 against Croatia. On day nine, Friday, Brazil won 2–0 against Costa Rica, Nigeria defeated Iceland 2–0 and Serbia lost 1–2 against Switzerland. On day ten, Saturday, Belgium defeated Tunisia 5–2, South Korea lost 1–2 to Mexico and Germany defeated Sweden 2–1. Sunday's game, day eleven, started with England defeating Panama 6–1, Japan drawing 2–2 against Senegal and Poland failed to qualify for the knockout phase, losing 0–3 against Colombia.
Denmark v Australia
Denmark faced Australia on Thursday, day eight.scored an early goal in the 7th minute for Denmark, from 's assist, putting Denmark in the lead. In the 37th minute, was booked for a hand ball in the penalty area, as the referee awarded Australia a penalty. Australia's equalised as he converted the penalty into a goal. Both sides shared the spoils, getting one point each.
France v Peru
In France vs Peru, Peru had a greater ball possession. Several of the French players including, and had attempts to score. France got the lead in the 34th minute as nineteen-year-old scored the only goal in the match. With this victory, Frace advanced to the knockout phase of the tournament, winning six points from the two matches.
Argentina v Croatia
Argentinian captain Lionel Messi faced his FC Barcelona teammate as they took on Croatia. Though the first half remained goalless, opened the scoring for Croatia in the 53rd minute, after Argentinian goalkeeper ended up passing the ball to Rebić inside the penalty area. In the 80th minute, scored the second goal for Croatia from 's assist. In the injury time, Rakitić scored the third goal of the match as Croatia won three points.
Brazil v Costa Rica
Brazil took on Costa Rica and had a greater ball possession. The first half remained goalless.' goal was cancelled being offside. Despite multiple attempts by Brazilian players, the first 90 minutes remained goalless. scored a goal from Jesus' assist in the injury time, and moments before the full time whistle, doubled the lead for Brazil. Brazil won three points while Costa Rica's defeat meant they would not advance to the knockout phase of the World Cup.
Nigeria v Iceland
Nigeria had the greater ball possession against Iceland. The first half remained goalless, but not five minutes into the second half,opened the scoring for Nigeria, from ' assist. In the 75th minute, Musa doubled the lead for Nigeria from 's assist, beating the goalkeeper. Minutes later, the referee awarded Iceland a penalty after consulting the Video Assistant Referee. took the penalty kick but failed to score from it. The match ended 2–0 with Nigeria winning three points.
Serbia v Switzerland
Serbia faced Switzerland on the last match of the ninth day of the tournament. Switzerland had greater ball possession. Serbia'sscored a goal from a header in the 5th minute of the match, giving Serbia an early lead. In the second half, scored an equaliser in the 54th minute from outside the box. scored the winning goal for Switzerland in the 90th minute as Switzerland won the match 2–1, and collected three points.
South Korea v Mexico
South Korea faced Mexico in the first match of day ten. Mexico led in ball possession. Mexico were awarded a penalty after's handball in the penalty area in the 24th minute. scored from the penalty, giving Mexico a one-goal advantage in the 26th minute. Mexico doubled their lead in the 66th minute when scored his 50th goal for Mexico. Korea's scored a consolation goal for the Asian side in the injury time but Mexico won the match, winning three points from the fixture. Chicharito became the first Mexican to score 50 goals for the country.
Germany v Sweden
Germany faced Sweden, and had greater ball possession. Germany'swas substituted after the half-hour mark due to injury. In the 32nd minute, score the opening goal for Sweden, chipping the ball over German goalkeeper . Germany equalised soon after the second half began. scored from 's assist in the 48th minute. In the 82nd minute, German defender received his second yellow card and was sent off. scored the winning goal for Germany in the injury time from a free kick from within the penalty area. Germany won three points.
Belgium v Tunisia
Belgium won an early penalty kick in the 5th minute asbrought down Belgium's in the penalty area. Hazard scored from the penalty spot, giving Belgium an early lead. doubled the lead for Belgium in the 16th minute from ' assist. Tunisia scored their first goal of the match in the 18th minute. scored a header from 's assist. Right before the half-time whistle, Lukaku restored Belgium's two-goal lead, netting a third goal for Belgium. Hazard scored in the 51st minute as Tunisia trailed four goals to one. scored the fifth goal for Belgium in the 90th minute. Khazri scored a consolation goal for Tunisia in injury time, but Belgium collected three points from the win.
England v Panama
England had the greater ball possession against Panama.opened the scoring for England in the 8th minute. In the 20th minute, the referee awarded England a penalty and scored from the spot kick, doubling the lead for England. netted the third goal for England from 's assist in the 36th minute. Stones added the fourth goal in th 40th minute, while Kane scored the fifth goal for England, from the penalty, minutes before the final whistle. The first half ended with England leading 5–0. Kane completed his hat-trick in the 62nd minute as the goal went in from a deflection. Panama's scored a consolation goal for the team from 's assist in the 78th minute. England won the match and qualified for the Last 16 knockout phase. With this victory, Belgium also secured qualification for the Last 16.
Japan v Senegal
Japan had the greater ball possession against Senegal in the second game of day eleven.opened the scoring for Senegal. equalised for Japan in the 34th minute from 's assist. The first half ended 1–1. In the 71st minute, scored another goal for Senegal, putting the African side in the lead. But the lead was short-lived as scored the second equaliser of the night in the 78th minute. The match ended 2–2 with both the sides winning one point each.
Poland v Colombia
Colombia had greater ball possession in the match. Bayern Munich teammate and Poland missed out qualification for the knockout stage, losing both of their group stage games.opened the scoring for Colombia, netting the first goal in the 40th minute from 's assist. doubled Colombia's lead in the 70th minute, scoring from Juan Quintero's assist. Five minutes later, scored the third goal for Colombia, from another assist by Rodriguez. Colombia won three points, while Rodriguez's
- Phil McNulty. "World Cup 2018: England put six past Panama to reach last 16" — , June 24, 2018
- England v Panama - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 30" — , June 24, 2018 . "
- Neil Johnston. "World Cup 2018: Japan come back twice against Senegal to draw 2-2" — , June 24, 2018
- Japan v Senegal - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 32" — , June 24, 2018 . "
- Gary Rose. "World Cup 2018: Colombia win 3-0 to end Poland's last-16 hopes - BBC Sport" — , June 24, 2018
- Poland v Colombia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 31" — , June 24, 2018 . "
- Jack Skelton. "World Cup 2018: Javier Hernandez scores 50th goal to help Mexico beat South Korea" — , June 23, 2018
- Korea Republic v Mexico - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 28" — , June 23, 2018 . "
- Steve Sutcliffe. "World Cup 2018: Germany revive World Cup hopes with late winner over Sweden" — , June 23, 2018
- Germany v Sweden - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 27" — , June 23, 2018 . "
- Chris Bevan. "World Cup 2018: Belgium v Tunisia" — , June 23, 2018
- Belgium v Tunisia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 29" — , June 23, 2018 . "
- Saj Chowdhury. "World Cup 2018: Philippe Coutinho & Neymar late goals hand Brazil win" — , June 22, 2018
- Brazil v Costa Rica - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 25" — , June 22, 2018 . "
- Neil Johnston. "World Cup 2018: Nigeria 2-0 Iceland" — , June 22, 2018
- Nigeria v Iceland - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 24" — , June 22, 2018 . "
- Matthew Henry. "World Cup 2018: Switzerland's Xherdan Shaqiri scores 90th-minute winner against Serbia" — , June 22, 2018
- Serbia v Switzerland - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 26" — , June 22, 2018 . "
- Neil Johnston. "World Cup 2018: Denmark 1-1 Australia" — , June 21, 2018
- Denmark v Australia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 22" — , June 21, 2018 . "
- Saj Chowdhury. "World Cup 2018: Kylian Mbappe strike sends France through" — , June 21, 2018
- France v Peru - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 21" — , June 21, 2018 . "
- Patrick Jennings. "World Cup 2018: Argentina 0-3 Croatia" — , June 21, 2018
- Argentina v Croatia - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Match 23" — , June 21, 2018