Fire erupts in parking structure at Sola Airport, Norway
Friday, January 10, 2020
At about 15:30 local time (1430 Norway. The structure has over 3000 parking spaces; reports said more than half of those were filled. The airport was quickly closed to air traffic.) on Tuesday a fire was reported in the " " section of a parking structure at , in
It was initially reported the fire started in an electric vehicle, but news broadcaster later reported the fire started in a recalled 2005 . The car was recalled after a similar fire in Cork, Ireland in August last year, causing damage to about 60 cars. Police said they questioned the car's owner.
The fire produced heavy smoke, and local officials said there was danger the building might collapse. Nils-Erik Haagenrud of Oslo Fire and Rescue was canceled.Fire and Rescue said late on Tuesday no personnel would be sent into the building. Rogaland Fire and Rescue requested support and equipment from other fire departments. The airport and nearby hotel were both evacuated and local police warned people in the general vicinity to stay inside and close exterior vents and windows. Through Tuesday evening the fire was reduced and the order for a fire extinguisher robot from
The airport closure also led to Norwegian Prime Minister Twitter asking for places to eat for the seven hour drive from to the capital of Oslo.being stranded after a visit to the . Solberg posted on
Reports as of Wednesday said an estimated two to three hundred vehicles had been damaged or destroyed, but no humans had been hurt.
By about 22:00 local time (2100 UTC) on Tuesday the flames were under control. Local firefighters planned to continue to monitor the situation and work to prevent further damage. It was also discovered the structure was built without sprinklers. Stavanger Airport, Sola was to open on Wednesday morning, but returning to normal service was expected to take longer. Affected travelers were advised to contact their airlines for rebooking.
- D. Kjørholt. "Samme bilmodell har forårsaket storbrann i parkeringshus tidligere" — , January 8, 2020 ()
- V. A. Garden, and Y. Sfrintzeris. "Bilbrann i parkeringshus ved flyplass: – Hele bygget kan kollapse" — , January 7, 2020 ()
- H. Høyland, Ø. Ellingsen, Å. K. Hansen, R. E. Nilsen, C. Oftedahl, H. Torgersen, and T. A. Schibevaag. "Deler av parkeringshuset har rast sammen" — , January 7, 2020 ()
- M. Oppedal, H. Høyland, and T. A. Schibevaag. "Parkeringshuset hadde ikkje sprinklaranlegg" — , January 8, 2020 ()
- M. Holter. "Fire at Norway Airport Destroys Hundreds of Cars, Grounds Planes" — , January 7, 2020