Flydubai plane crash leaves 62 dead
Sunday, March 20, 2016
Apassenger jet has crashed in , killing everyone aboard, 62 people including a crew of seven. The aircraft was making its second attempt to land early yesterday morning in , a city in southern Russia, when it crashed.
Flydubai confirmed the crash on landing of flight FZ981. Four passengers were children. "We are doing all we can to gather information as quickly as possible. At this moment our thoughts and prayers are with our passengers and our crew who were on board the aircraft," the airline said in a statement.
The flight was scheduled to land at 1:20 a.m. local time, according to Emergencies Minister, however went down at about 3:40 a.m. Investigations are ongoing.
CEO of Flydubai Ghaith al-Ghaith said, "We will have information about the circumstances of the incident and the black box in the future, and an investigation is being conducted in cooperation with the Russian authorities and we are waiting to see the results".
Budget airline FlyDubai has been flying since 2009, based in the. This is the first crash in the airline's history.
Mr. Ghaith said the pilot and co-pilot each had more than 5,000 hours' flight experience. Russian officials said the international crew was made up of one Russian, one, two , a , and one each from and .
Security footage from a camera pointed in the direction of the airport shows the blast as the plane crash-landed.
- ABC/FlyDubai plane crash: Russia opens criminal case, commemorates victims" — , March 20, 2016 . "
- Matthew Chance, Susannah Cullinane, Pierre Meilhan. "Flydubai plane crashes in Russia; 62 aboard reported dead" — , March 19, 2016
- Frankie McCamley. "Russia plane crash: Dozens killed in Rostov-on-Don" — , March 19, 2016
- At least 62 dead in Russian plane crash" — , March 19, 2016 / . "
- Security Footage Shows Moment of Deadly Flydubai Airliner Crash at Russian Airport" — , March 19, 2016