Formula 1 new team USF1 sponsored by YouTube co-founder
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Hurley was positive about the future, and hinted at long term involvement with the team.
YouTube was bought out by search engine giants Google in 2006, which has consolidated the video-sharing website as a global phenomenon, valued at $1.65bn. However, its relationship with Formula 1 has not always been rosy. Video rights to Formula 1 are under the strict copyright of Bernie Ecclestone's FOM concern. Videos of Formula 1 footage posted on the website are soon challenged and removed, however once removed they are soon replaced, due to the sheer number of videos on the site.
USF1 team principle Ken Anderson was positive about the deal, noting that Hurley's business acumen and experience in setting up a global brand from scratch can be applied to the fledgling team.
Autosport have also revealed that veteran drivers Alexander Wurz and Pedro de la Rosa may be in the running for a seat alongside "an American rookie". Austrian Wurz has not competed in Formula 1 since 2007 (For Williams in China), and de la Rosa has not raced competitively in F1 since 2006, when he replaced Juan Pablo Montoya at McLaren mid-way through the season.
Hurley's involvement is unlikely to see the YouTube logo added to the car as this is a personal involvement independent of his current position with YouTube.
- Jonathan Noble and Dieter Rencken. "YouTube co-founder backs Team US F1" — , August 20, 2009
- SJ Skid. "USF1-YouTube deal official" — , August 19, 2009
- "US F1 lands YouTube co-founder as primary investor" — , August 20, 2009
- g.fer. "F.1 e internet più vicine - YouTube corre sulla US F1" — , August 20, 2009 (Italian)
- Christian Nimmervoll & Dieter Rencken. "YouTube-Gründer steigt bei US F1 ein" — , August 20, 2009 (German)
- "USF1-formulatalli sai tukijakseen Youtuben perustajan" — , August 20, 2009 (Finnish)
- "Three new names - and conditions - on 2010 entry list" — , June 12, 2009
- Jonathan Noble. "Wurz, de la Rosa in frame for US F1 seat" — , August 10, 2009