Four dead, at least 15 injured after gunman opens fire at fitness center in Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Reports say the man walked into a dance room where an all-female Latin dance class was in session, turned off the lights and began to shoot people. CNN reports that the gunman was a "middle-aged white male." One witness said he was carrying a duffel bag, which he put down before shooting into the crowd. After opening fire, he turned the gun on himself. At least 30 people are reported to have been in the room at the time of the shooting.
Allegheny County police Superintendent Charles Moffatt said, "I've never seen nothing quite like this. It was very chaotic. [...] There's a good belief that the shooter is deceased."
Collier Township Police Chief Tom Devin stated that the police, "believe the shooter committed suicide at the scene but we're not positive." Police report that the shooter's motive may have been a domestic dispute with one of the exercisers.
Mike Hentosz, a witness who was inside the gym, said, "I feel like it's a dream. I don't know what to think of it." A woman participating in the class, Nicole, said that 10 minutes into the class, "a middle-aged white male walked into the class. He had a big gym bag. [...] He looked out of place in a class full of women." When he began firing, she reported, she ran out of the gym and escaped in passerby's car.
- "Four dead in health club shooting rampage" — , August 5, 2009
- Jonathan Barnes. "Four shot dead at Pennsylvania gym" — , August 5, 2009
- Agence France-Presse. "Mass fatal shooting at health club" — , August 5, 2009
- "Five dead in Pennsylvania shooting: Report" — , August 4, 2009
- "At least 4 die in gym shooting near Pittsburgh" — , August 4, 2009
- "Officials: 4 Dead In Collier Township Gym Shooting" — , August 4, 2009
- "Man Goes On Shooting Rampage At Pittsburgh Health Club" — , August 4, 2009