Four families left homeless after apartment fire in Buffalo, New York
Monday, June 25, 2007
Buffalo, New York. One person had to jump out of a second floor window to get to safety and one firefighter was injured while fighting the blaze.— At least four families have been left homeless after a fire ripped through an apartment in a four-apartment building at 630-632 Plymouth Avenue in
At approximately 4:30 p.m. (Eastern time) firefighters were called to the building after initial calls reported that an oven had caught on fire after grease had spilled in Apt. #4. When firefighters arrived, Apt. #4 was completely engulfed in flames.
"When [the firefighters] arrived, one person was trapped on the second floor, but jumped out of a window to the neighbors second floor porch. The fire started in a kitchen oven, maybe by grease, but an investigation is being conducted," said Buffalo Fire Department Chief Joe Fahey.
"One firefighter was injured," added Fahey. Catalano, the injured firefighter, and whose first name is not known, received a small cut under his left eye, but did not require hospitalization and was treated at the scene by paramedics.
It is estimated that there is at least "US$100,000 in damage. $60,000 damage to the building and $40,000 to the contents," said Fahey. At least three floors and two apartments were severely damaged by the fire.
All of the building's occupants made it out safely, and none were injured. Arson is not believed to be the cause.