GOP presidential candidate Gary Johnson considers Libertarian Party run
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Former New Mexico and current Republican Party (GOP) presidential candidate is reportedly considering a run for the (LP) presidential nomination. Johnson feels "abandoned by the Republican Party", he told , due to his exclusion from nine of the eleven GOP debates and believes the LP would give him a fair shot at their nomination.
Johnson espousesviews including legalization and defense budget cuts, which often run afoul of the GOP mainstream. Earlier this month, after filing suit with the and for his exclusion from the November 12 debate, he chastised the GOP establishment for failing to support him. The GOP agreed with the debate's inclusion criteria, which turned back candidates with less than three percent support in the average and third quarter fundraising receipts below US$1 million.
Johnson raised a little under US$240,000 in the third quarter and lately has not even been included in polls. He did appear in an August CNN poll, in which he led former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and former Utah governor . Despite their standing, both Santorum and Huntsman have been invited to every debate.
Johnson believes his exclusion was a "boardroom decision" to protect the GOP's "status quo." But Republican party attorney John R. Phillippe Jr. says that without a minimum standard, "the debates would be utter chaos and unhelpful to Republican voters".
If Johnson decides to leave the GOP and seek the LP nomination, it would not be the first time a member of the Republican Party did so. In 2008, former Republican Congressman Bob Barr ran and was selected as the LP nominee. In the general election, he garnered 0.4 percent of the popular vote.
For 2012, the LP has achieved ballot access in all 50 states, and currently has nine presidential candidates, including National Guard officer R.J. Harris and Libertarian activist .
- "Wikinews interviews U.S. Libertarian Party presidential candidate R. Lee Wrights" — Wikinews, June 20, 2011
- "Wikinews interviews U.S. Libertarian Party potential presidential candidate R.J. Harris" — Wikinews, June 17, 2011
- "Bob Barr wins the Libertarian Party presidential nomination" — Wikinews, May 28, 2008
- "Lew Rockwell Reporting that Gary Johnson will Seek LP Nomination" — , November 25, 2011
- Steve Terrell. "'Abandoned' by GOP, Johnson could seek Libertarian nod" — , November 24, 2011
- Milan Simonich. "Former Gov. Gary Johnson underexposed in presidential debate coverage" — , November 18, 2011
- Alicia M. Cohn. "Gary Johnson files FEC, FCC complaints over debate exclusion" — , November 15, 2011
- "Gary Johnson 2012 Inc October Quarterly" — , October 14, 2011
- "2008 Presidential Popular Vote Summary For All Candidates Listed On At Least One State Ballot" — , N/A