Glasgow inmate John Clark accused of murder in Barlinnie prison
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
John Clark appeared at Glasgow on Friday charged with murdering cellmate Colin Penrose, 22, in the city's .
Penrose, from the West Coast town of sexual assault against a teenager. Police Scotland confirmed they were called to the prison, Scotland's largest, shortly after 2:00am on Thursday when Penrose was found dead in the cell., had been recalled to prison for alleged further offending after being paroled from a sentence for
Clark has been remanded pending a full committal hearing next week. Clark is variously reported to be either 21 or 22.
Penrose died on the top floor of the jail's E Hall. E Hall includes accommodation for vulnerable prisoners.
Penrose, who attended Facebook as single but had liked a dating page, and according to his profile was seeking employment. "I hate football and I hate the police", his profile reads, adding he enjoyed a drink at the weekend., is survived by his parents, both 60. He listed himself on
In early 2012 he uploaded a photo of himself with a swollen eye. Without explaining the injury he asked "does [anybody want] to say anything about my eyes in this picture or do [you not] give a shit [what] happens to me"? He received no response until a year later, when the reply "thats what happens to beasts!!" was received.
Several friends posted condolences to his page after his death. One claimed he had been strangled.
The famous four-storey Victorian prison is routinely overcrowded, with prisoners sharing cells meant for individual use. With drug use at over 80% of the population, Barlinnie is Western Europe's largest dispenser ofsubstitute .
In 2011 governor Derek McGill complained "If we could eliminate overcrowding, we could do more with the prisoners." He was speaking after an inspector branded the facility unsafe for prisoners and staff alike due to chronic overcrowding. Scottish Executive spending cuts around the same time reduced the 's building funds significantly.
Plans are nonetheless afoot to replace Barlinnie with a new prison, to be called. The Prison Service is tendering for consultants to identify potential sites. Although the Scottish Government aims to reduce prisoner populations the new prison is to be more than twice the size of Barlinnie.
The nation's sex offenders were, until recently, usually all held at. The internationally-acclaimed sex offender treatment center was permanently closed late last year and the inmates moved elsewhere. Peterhead prison has been replaced with the 140 million "super prison" , built next door to the Peterhead site. Men, women, and young offenders are all held at the prison for the first time at a Scottish jail and the first inmates arrived this month. has also closed and been replaced with the new jail.
Homicide behind bars is unusual in Scotland, though there have been cases in 2006 and 1996. Neighbouring England has seen a spate recently, including four last year. Those four deaths were all charged as murder and represented the highest total since 1998.
- "Inmate charged with killing fellow Barlinnie prisoner" — , March 22, 2014
- David Taylor. "Man, 21, charged with the murder of Barlinnie inmate, Colin Penrose" — , March 22, 2014
- "Sex offender allegedly murdered in prison by fellow inmate named" — , March 22, 2014
- Janice Burns, Paul O'Hare. "Barlinnie prison at centre of murder probe after sex offender inmate is found strangled in cell" — , March 21, 2014
- Paul O'Hare. "Prisoner questioned after cell-mate is found dead in middle of night at Barlinnie prison" — , March 20, 2014
- Daniel Sanderson. "Plan to replace Barlinnie with huge new jail" — , March 20, 2014
- Eric Allison. "Suicide and murder rate in British prisons at highest level for years" — , January 20, 2014
- "First inmates at new Grampian prison in Peterhead" — , March 3, 2014
- Frank Urquhart. "Notorious Peterhead prison closes its doors" — , December 6, 2013
- Peter Ross. "‘This is not just a prison. This is Barlinnie’" — , February 13, 2012
- Reevel Alderson. "Prisons inspector says overcrowded Barlinnie is unsafe" — , November 16, 2011
- Sheriff Linda M. Ruxton. "Determination Following an Inquiry into the Death of Robert Buck" — , March 20, 2006