Greek man arrested over alleged plot to hijack Emirates airliner at Karachi airport
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Annkhus Sarzio was due to travel with his mother on Emirates flight EK 605, returning to his homeland in Athens, Greece via Dubai. When they tried to pass through airport security, scanning equipment detected a 9mm handgun concealed in the battery casing of Sarzio's laptop.
Sarzio claims in preliminary investigations that he bought the handgun in Karachi. He says he is a businessman involved in carpets and that he had been staying in the city for at least a month.
Security officials registered the case against the accused at a local police station; the suspect's mother has not been detained although initially she was arrested. According to The News International, Sarzio may have links with international terrorist groups and airport officials say this could have been an attempt to hijack the airplane.
- "Greek man with gun arrested at Pakistan airport" — , October 5, 2009
- "Greek with gun arrested at Pakistan's Karachi airport" — , October 4, 2009
- "Greek Man Arrested at Pakistan Airport After Allegedly Carrying Gun" — , October 4, 2009
- "Pistol recovered from Greek at Karachi airport" — , October 4, 2009
- "Greek man with gun arrested at Karachi airport" — , October 4, 2009
- "Greek arrested with weapon at Karachi airport" — , October 4, 2009