Huge fire in Chilean jail kills 81; 21 injured
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
A huge fire at a Chilean prison in has killed at least 81 inmates, and injured another 14, including a firefighter and three gendarmerie officers, the Chilean Health Minister reported. Mañalich said that the injured inmates suffered "[...] facial burns, and are currently with mechanical ventilation in different hospitals."
Pedro Hernández, representing the Chilean gendarmerie officers union said that "they are trying to identify the 81 dead inmates now." President Sebastián Piñera went to the Santiago's Central Post where five inmates are being attended. During a press conference, Piñera announced the creation of new jails with more facilities for the inmates. Piñera also confirmed that 83 inmates had died, and that another 21 were injured, 7 of them due to minor asphyxiation.
The fire is considered the worst accident in the country's jail history. Fifteen corpses have been identified, Interior Ministerreported.
A football match betweenand was canceled by ANFP (Professional Football National Association) after the fire. It was going to take place today at 16:00 local time (19:00 UTC) in the .
- "Chile prison fire kills more than 80" — , December 8, 2010
- Solange Garrido, and Luis Rubio. "Incendio deja 81 reos fallecidos en cárcel de San Miguel" — , December 8, 2010 ()
- Denisse Charpentier. "Ministro de Salud confirma que son 81 reos fallecidos y 14 heridos graves" — , December 8, 2010 ()
- Solange Garrido. "Suspenden duelo U. Española-U. de Chile por tragedia en cárcel de San Miguel" — , December 8, 2010 ()
- "Chile prison fire kills 81 inmates" — , December 8, 2010
- Solange Garrido. "Presidente Piñera llega a Posta Central donde hay cinco heridos por incendio en cárcel" — , December 8, 2010 ()