In pictures: thousands attend 16th annual Taiwan Pride
Tuesday, October 30, 2018
On Saturday, over a hundred thousand people reportedly gathered in Taiwan's capital and participated in the 16th annual lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual (LGBT) Pride. According to the organisers, about 137 thousand people participated in the largest LGBT Pride of Asia.
People marched with banners and placards which read "love is equal" and "vote for your happy future". Of the many attendees,also participated in the parade. Civil rights activist Chi Chia-wei was first to come out as homosexual on Taiwan TV, in 1986.
Pride attendees gathered near the President's office where the Pride parade started. The attendees protested for education of same-sex marriage in schools. In May 2017, the Taiwanese court had ruled same-sex marriage as legal, and had set a two-year period for its legalisation including the time to amend the law, if required.
With just six months remaining from the proposed deadline, some groups including somechurches have been pushing for preventing same-sex getting a legal recognition, saying marriage is "a bond between one man and one woman."
Taiwan's court ruled Article 972 of Civil code "unconstitutional", which defined marriage only between opposite genders, but a separate public vote is scheduled to happen on November 24 regarding the law about same-sex marriage.
During the LGBT Pride, drag queen Chin Kuang-chih said, "We hope the government will take the issue seriously. It's a pity that there has been no action after the court decision". At the scheduled deadline, same-sex marriage is to be automatically legalised if the government does not reach a conclusion about the law.
Taiwan Pride was first organised in 2003.
- Reuters. "Hundreds of thousands attend pride march amid Taiwan's gay marriage debate" — , October 29, 2018
- The Associated Press. "Tens of thousands gather in Taiwan for gay pride parade" — , October 29, 2018
- Sean Chang and Amber Wang for Agence France-Presse. "Massive Taiwan Gay Pride parade pushes key referendum vote" — , October 28, 2018
- Sabrina Barr for Taiwan Gay Pride: Best pictures from the 2018 Taipei celebrations" — , October 28, 2018 . "
- "Thousands march in Taiwan gay pride parade for referendum vote" — , October 27, 2018
- Chris Horton. "Taiwan's Gay Pride Parade Draws Thousands, as Votes on Same-Sex Marriage Near" — , October 27, 2018
- AFP, . "Taiwan holds massive gay pride parade ahead of referendum" — , October 28, 2018